C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Scare - Parking brake stuck to rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 AM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Big Scare - Parking brake stuck to rotor?

I had washed the vehicle and then rolled back and forth a couple of times (believing I was getting water off the brake pads) and parked vehicle in garage. Put the parking brake on and did not drive the Vette for almost 10+ days; we went out of state. Upon return, next day, I started up car and attempted to drive it out of the garage. IT WOULD NOT MOVE. I double checked to make sure I had released the brake and I had but the car would NOT MOVE. Soooooooooo, I revved up the engine a tad, released the clutch slowly and the car finally POPPED lose. And I mean POPPED....that's the sound it made on the release. Scared me to death...never had something like this happen before?????

I guess washing the car and parking it in the garage with the parking brake engaged and not driving it for a time, was not the proper thing to do???? I have not heard any rattles or upon inspection (visual) I don't see anything amiss. I would imagine these Vettes can take 'some' abuse so will hope that is all I have done is given it a tad of abuse?

Moral: don't engage parking brake after washing if you're not going to drive it for a while???????
Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Aramis76
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, same goes for pretty much all cars with rear disk brakes.

Never apply wet parking brake if it will sit for a while. Unless it's not safe to do so of course.

Another solution is to drive the car a little after a wash, heating the pads and disk will also prevent this.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

+1 This is perfectly normal. I always go for a rip after a wash to heat up the brakes and get the water out of the nooks and crannys.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I too take the car for a short spin to dry up some of the water from the areas I can’t dry completely.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Yet another reason I rarely clean my car using water
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Wow, I learn something new everyday! This has happened to me a few times. The most recent just happened yesterday, exact scenario as OP. I was just about to take it to the dealer Monday to have it checked out. Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

No big deal.
The parking brake shoes are in the rotor hat.
Its exactly like a drum brake, and the shoes were just stuck for minute.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
No big deal.
The parking brake shoes are in the rotor hat.
Its exactly like a drum brake, and the shoes were just stuck for minute.
Correct.

I wonder if in this case moving the car actually made the situation worse by allowing water under the hat. You could always leave the brake off and just place some wheel chocks under the tires. Just don't forget they are they when you try to drive away. Another option would be using an air dryer (shop vac) to blow the rotors dry before storage.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JMII
Correct.

I wonder if in this case moving the car actually made the situation worse by allowing water under the hat. You could always leave the brake off and just place some wheel chocks under the tires. Just don't forget they are they when you try to drive away. Another option would be using an air dryer (shop vac) to blow the rotors dry before storage.
Its kind of a bummer they switched to electric actuation for the parking brake.
This problem was easy to deal with on cars with manual actuation via a pedal or lever. You would just apply very light pressure to it, with the car in motion, and it would dry itself out as well as clean any accumulated rust off the drum surface and shoe linings. Doing this periodically had a side benefit of making things easier to disassemble when the time came to replace the service brakes.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:41 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I have done that too. My problem is after I wash it a drive will get it dirty again!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:43 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Its kind of a bummer they switched to electric actuation for the parking brake.
This problem was easy to deal with on cars with manual actuation via a pedal or lever.
I don't see a problem with the electric brake. Hell, it'll even automatically disengage (once you start to roll) if you forget to. Try THAT with a manual one
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I don't see a problem with the electric brake. Hell, it'll even automatically disengage (once you start to roll) if you forget to. Try THAT with a manual one
There's nothing inherently wrong with the electric version. Its just that it takes away something that was useful.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

There's nothing inherently wrong with the electric version. Its just that it takes away something that was useful.
Well, I do remember using a mechanical PB to play in the snow
Old 03-14-2019, 12:35 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Agreed... there are pros and cons to the electronic brake. It takes up less space in the interior and will automatically disengage when you drive off. The cons are its just one more electronic thing to fail and you can't apply light pressure, its an all or nothing deal apparently.

I used to apply the parking brake manually in reverse occasionally to knock dust off it too.

Also there was something of a comforting feeling that comes from having a physical connection to your brakes in case of some odd ball failure. For example on my previous car (not a Corvette) I had a brake piston seal failure on track. Thankfully I was able to slow it down with only 3 brakes working and limp back to the garage. From there I had to get the car to a buddies house to fix the problem. Pretty much the only way to drive it on the street was using the parking brake. Stepping on the pedal just caused more fluid to leak out and I didn't want to run the system dry. Driving very slowly (hazard flashers on) and pulling up the parking brake as needed to the slow the car for stop signs worked fine for the short distance I had to cover. In retrospect I should have put the car on a trailer but we knew the problem and only had a few miles to go on local neighborhood streets.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Mine doesn't do that.... That i know of??
Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
Mine doesn't do that.... That i know of??
It does try it.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I don’t see how a manual release would unstick rusted rotors any differently than electronic. Been happening since iron disks were introduced

Get notified of new replies

To Big Scare - Parking brake stuck to rotor?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebob2
I had washed the vehicle and then rolled back and forth a couple of times (believing I was getting water off the brake pads) and parked vehicle in garage. Put the parking brake on and did not drive the Vette for almost 10+ days; we went out of state. Upon return, next day, I started up car and attempted to drive it out of the garage. IT WOULD NOT MOVE. I double checked to make sure I had released the brake and I had but the car would NOT MOVE. Soooooooooo, I revved up the engine a tad, released the clutch slowly and the car finally POPPED lose. And I mean POPPED....that's the sound it made on the release. Scared me to death...never had something like this happen before?????

I guess washing the car and parking it in the garage with the parking brake engaged and not driving it for a time, was not the proper thing to do???? I have not heard any rattles or upon inspection (visual) I don't see anything amiss. I would imagine these Vettes can take 'some' abuse so will hope that is all I have done is given it a tad of abuse?

Moral: don't engage parking brake after washing if you're not going to drive it for a while???????
I highly doubt the parking brake was the problem. Unless you drove your car into some 8 or 9 inch deep water or on the road or where there was a lot of under car water spraying around the back side of the knuckle you aren't going to get the parking brake very wet or not wet at all. Washing the car and spraying water through the wheel spokes won't do it.

The parking brake is inside a drum that is inside the rotor and the opening is on the backside of the rotor. Water would have to flow down the inside face of the rotor, then back toward the outside to get into the drum and the shoes are probably a quarter inch further in from the drum opening.

The loud popping noise was from the brake pads at each of the 4 wheels being corroded to the rotors, not the parking brake. The parking brake shoes have such a small surface area they really can't generate much braking force even if they are frozen in place. Just rolling the car back and forth a few times doesn't get enough moisture away from the pads to prevent them from corroding to the rotors.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.
4thC4at60 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:06 PM
vettebob2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I highly doubt the parking brake was the problem. Unless you drove your car into some 8 or 9 inch deep water or on the road or where there was a lot of under car water spraying around the back side of the knuckle you aren't going to get the parking brake very wet or not wet at all. Washing the car and spraying water through the wheel spokes won't do it.

The parking brake is inside a drum that is inside the rotor and the opening is on the backside of the rotor. Water would have to flow down the inside face of the rotor, then back toward the outside to get into the drum and the shoes are probably a quarter inch further in from the drum opening.

The loud popping noise was from the brake pads at each of the 4 wheels being corroded to the rotors, not the parking brake. The parking brake shoes have such a small surface area they really can't generate much braking force even if they are frozen in place. Just rolling the car back and forth a few times doesn't get enough moisture away from the pads to prevent them from corroding to the rotors.

Bill
Sooooooooo, since your reply/response indicates the 'pads' themselves as the culprit I guess I should not wash the vehicle if I am not going to drive the car in the next 24 hours or less? Or................drive it somewhere and back.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:09 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Mine do it on my Corvette and my Hyundai Equus. It is the brake pads. No big deal.

Pop and go!
4thC4at60 (03-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Big Scare - Parking brake stuck to rotor?