Sponsored by:

Packing for Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Packing for Spring Mountain

I'm packing for Spring Mountain Owners School on the 20th and 21st... Here's the key things I have gleaned from some threads here:
  • some bonine for motion sickness...
  • 265 GB extreme SD card, formatted to FAT32
  • Comfortable sneakers with rounded heel
  • Extra couple pairs of underwear "just in case"
  • Decent change of clothes to go to the winery for dinner one night (or both nights)

I did not pack white New Balance sneakers, denim creased shorts or white tube socks... so I hope I don't look too out of place.

Anything I'm missing? This seems to be the critical oft repeated short list.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Consider having a simple dinner in the club with fellow enthusiasts and instructors rather than going to a middling restaurant. I mean really why else are you there? Winery in Pahrump...lol.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:55 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Winery in Pahrump...lol.
Because just about every single thread says the restaurant at the winery is excellent - and the resort suggested it over their "small meal provided" at time of booking - and the resort then re-suggested it upon confirmation... and because everyone I have ever talked to abut the experience in person give the food a good review...

I dunno why else...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I prefer ginger capsules over Dramamine. All natural, no side effects, doctor confirmed stomach seditive. The winery is excellent and reasonable, best restaurant in town. You will be eating breakfast and lunch at the facility, and our group was in the mood to head out one evening. I was out there 3 weeks ago and it was cool in morning but could get hot in car. I found having a light jacket or windshirt perfect to peel off and they will allow it in car on floor or seat. You do get pretty sweaty driving, so my prefernce became a tshirt or polo. I found a nice lightweight flexible running or cross trainer shie to be almost as good as a driving shoe. I took note of what our instructors had on and many simply had as I stated. It seemed some in our class went out and bought driving shoes just for class, but not needed or required.
The following users liked this post:
fishpick (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Consider having a simple dinner in the club with fellow enthusiasts and instructors rather than going to a middling restaurant. I mean really why else are you there? Winery in Pahrump...lol.
You have obviously never been there, which begs the question of why you would criticize it. It is a first class white table-cloth restaurant that serves the best filet mignon I have ever had. You're missing out if you don't go there. The "restaurant" on site is nothing to write home about, though it is a step up from McDonalds.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
jimmbbo (03-15-2019), Woodson (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The cops are thick between Vegas and Pahrump. In the gift shop they sell a carbon fiber looking plaque for around $30 and it is made to hold your class certificate that you receive at the end of day 2. These look great on the wall, highly recommend. You will have a blast.

THROTTLE STEER FOR ME, there you go nice job.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by US Icon
The cops are thick between Vegas and Pahrump
Radar detectors legal in Nevada - Google seems to say so... In which case, I'll add that to the packing list
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

The winery could never described as "middling". First class food, service, and wines in a very nice environment. Easy on the wine though, motion sickness is fairly common on the track, especially on the second day.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

"Middling" restaurant? The Pahrump Valley Winery and attached Symphony's restaurant are well worth the trip... Good wines, excellent food and first class service at prices a fraction of the cost in Vegas...
Yelp has 176 reviews, 4.5 average stars

Last edited by jimmbbo; 03-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
I'm packing for Spring Mountain Owners School on the 20th and 21st... Here's the key things I have gleaned from some threads here:
  • some bonine for motion sickness...
  • 265 GB extreme SD card, formatted to FAT32
  • Comfortable sneakers with rounded heel
  • Extra couple pairs of underwear "just in case"
  • Decent change of clothes to go to the winery for dinner one night (or both nights)

I did not pack white New Balance sneakers, denim creased shorts or white tube socks... so I hope I don't look too out of place.

Anything I'm missing? This seems to be the critical oft repeated short list.
You don't need more than 16 gb total for both days for lapping. I would pack two 16 gb or 32gb cards - one as primary and the second backup in case the first fails.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by fishpick
Because just about every single thread says the restaurant at the winery is excellent - and the resort suggested it over their "small meal provided" at time of booking - and the resort then re-suggested it upon confirmation... and because everyone I have ever talked to abut the experience in person give the food a good review...

I dunno why else...
Totally agree. This place is very good, in fact our group wished this place was near our home in the Chicago area and we have many fine restaurants. In fact we learned of this winery/restaurant from the driving school director. Yes the internet is loaded with many who comment on things they know nothing of. I highly suggest that if you are there more than one night you check out the winery....it is only minin away off of Winery Rd.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Go to the winery the first night after you check in and haven't started class. Then eat in the clubhouse the next few nights with your fellow drivers after class.
Perf n Restore (03-16-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
Go to the winery the first night after you check in and haven't started class. Then eat in the clubhouse the next few nights with your fellow drivers after class.
In my experience - been there twice: at least 1/2 the class will go to the winery after day 1 (make reservations) - usually in groups of 2-6 students and a few have wives/husbands.
As some have suggested, keep the wine consumption to 2 glasses and lots of water as day 2 is much tougher physically than day one.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You don't need more than 16 gb total for both days for lapping. I would pack two 16 gb or 32gb cards - one as primary and the second backup in case the first fails.
Does the gift shop sell SD cards just in case? I'm bringing mine, but I don't have a backup.

I'm scheduled for mid-April and I just picked up a new pair of New Balance shoes.

Last edited by MSG C5; 03-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 PM
ArchitectMike
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Sunblock and good sunglasses are a must.

Bear in mind a 32 gb card formatted FAT32 will record 13 hours of driving and is the largest card listed in the owners manual for use. They'll suggest you start recording when starting track time. In hindsight, I wish I had recorded some of the earlier lessons, like the small oval where they teach brake point, turn-in, and apex.

If you have a laptop, bring that too (I did.) Download the Cosworth Toolbox beforehand (I didn't.) I used Windows Media player to watch my first day laps that night, which made the second day much better and me quicker and more confident. Like others, I wish there he'd been an opportunity for a third day.

Have fun!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 PM
C7Flash
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I went February 8 & 9th, cool weather, the First Class Instructors exceeded my wildest expectations!
The Club House, on site for breakfast and lunch, sells SD cards.
I wish I would have put my SD card in for the first day to record the skid pad and breaking exercises and the track session.
Don’t forget to set the finish line on the first lap, it will then record your lap times.
It was a Fantastic experience and I am already planning on going back for Level 1.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Does the gift shop sell SD cards just in case? I'm bringing mine, but I don't have a backup.
16 gb Sandisk class 10 cards are $8 and 32 gb cards are $11 at Amazon. No real reason not to have a couple.
Originally Posted by C7Flash
The Club House, on site for breakfast and lunch, sells SD cards.
I wish I would have put my SD card in for the first day to record the skid pad and breaking exercises and the track session.
Don’t forget to set the finish line on the first lap, it will then record your lap times.
Originally Posted by ArchitectMike
Sunblock and good sunglasses are a must.
If you have a laptop, bring that too (I did.) Download the Cosworth Toolbox beforehand (I didn't.) I used Windows Media player to watch my first day laps that night, which made the second day much better and me quicker and more confident. Like others, I wish there he'd been an opportunity for a third day.
This is really good advice. I brought my Microsoft Surface that has Cosworth Toolbox on it, and it really helps to get a feel for speeds if you record the two track sessions on day 1. I would also record all the other exercises on day 1, and the instructor ride along laps on day 2. I assume you will record all your track laps. If you record all of that time it is about 6 hours recording time in the cars.
Not sure you need sunblock as 90% of the time you are either in the car or classroom; but if you drive with sunglasses, they are a definite help.
ArchitectMike (03-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Packing for Spring Mountain

Old 03-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'll be there Monday and Tuesday. Then I'm going to hang out in the rest of the week. Looking forward to a vacation.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:54 PM
1789Vette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be mindful of taking anything that might slow your reflexes or alertness. You’re going to be moving at a pretty good clip a large part of the time there & will need all your wits and reflexes. I don’t get motion sick, but during the instructor laps (you in passenger seat)...whew! I am an assertive driver but have never been close to what those guys did when I was riding shotgun. I’m not suggesting you don’t go, just want you to be mindful of what’s in store.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Man the weather looks perfect for my two days, Monday and Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Packing for Spring Mountain