Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What stops the rear hatch from opening too far if it were caught by wind?

C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What stops the rear hatch from opening too far if it were caught by wind?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Default What stops the rear hatch from opening too far if it were caught by wind?

Are the support shocks also what limits how far it can open? Was installing a go-pro suction mount inside the rear glass and was surprised by the amount of flex. Stopped and supported the outside of the hatch with one hand while securing the suction cup.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:53 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I would think the shocks are what limits the travel (to a point). With sufficient wind, I suspect they could fail, thereby putting the strain in the hinges itself. Probably wouldn't be pretty but...admittedly, I'm only taking an educated guess.

(still, I don't want to test my theory!)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:05 PM
4thC4at60
CF Senior Member

After six Corvettes that the rear deck lifts - 29 years and almost 800,000 miles I have experienced zero problems from wind, gusts, or ________________. I feel you're thinking of a problem that, essentially, does not exist.... someone else may have a different thoughts....
Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Letzgofly
Letzgofly
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Rear Hatch

If you had been in Eastern Colorado this week, perhaps we would know the answer 😎
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
I would think the shocks are what limits the travel (to a point). With sufficient wind, I suspect they could fail, thereby putting the strain in the hinges itself. Probably wouldn't be pretty but...admittedly, I'm only taking an educated guess.

(still, I don't want to test my theory!)
The hinges bolt to the roof halo and are seriously reinforced. It's the hatch side that would be the issue most likely. whatever plates the hinges bolt to inside the hatch are riveted in place. No clue what that piece looks like and/or if it extends across the full length of the hatch.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,920 Times in 3,431 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 View Post
After six Corvettes that the rear deck lifts - 29 years and almost 800,000 miles I have experienced zero problems from wind, gusts, or ________________. I feel you're thinking of a problem that, essentially, does not exist.... someone else may have a different thoughts....
It has been windy as heck here the past week (gusts up to 50 mph) and I do not think I would want to test out whether there would be a proble with either the hatch or the hood being open i n such gusts.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: