C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Autos ARE NOT MANUALS Don't kid yourself.
Originally Posted by kennyjames21
True, they are faster and more efficient.
With an auto the car drives you !!!!!
With a manual YOU drive the car !!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Finally the correct answer!

If you have to ask why, then buy an automatic.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but here goes. We are looking at a 2019 vert purchase. Our last 2 vettes were manual transmissions. For those that have gone to autos, do you have any regrets. Did you go back to a stick? Getting older and thinking ahead.
If you are a manual transmission driver and enjoy it, stick with it especially when buying a C7. The A8 is a poorly engineered transmission IMO and I'm saying that being an owner of one. Plenty threads regarding its faults and problems. Many go unresolved . Some owners report having zero issues (or maybe don't notice them), many others do. As a buyer and knowing this before I purchased my 2015, I'd have never ordered the car. Since I do not prefer a stick shift, I'd be likely driving a Cayman or an M car, or something something else instead. I'd feel like a complete idiot if I spend upwards of $60K on the car knowing I could have issues w/ the transmission and then did it anyway. My buddy's 2015 had issues initially when mine didn't and then mine started to lurch on stops display the same behavior as his. Neither of us track or abuse the car.

For me, it's a shame since the C7 is a absolutely wonderful car otherwise. If it came equipped with,lets say a ZF 8 speed, I would not have any negatives to say about the car.

Just passing along some friendly advice (that I wish was available before I bought mine).
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
If you are a manual transmission driver and enjoy it, stick with it especially when buying a C7. The A8 is a poorly engineered transmission IMO and I'm saying that being an owner of one. Plenty threads regarding its faults and problems. Many go unresolved . Some owners report having zero issues (or maybe don't notice them), many others do. As a buyer and knowing this before I purchased my 2015, I'd have never ordered the car. Since I do not prefer a stick shift, I'd be likely driving a Cayman or an M car, or something something else instead. I'd feel like a complete idiot if I spend upwards of $60K on the car knowing I could have issues w/ the transmission and then did it anyway. My buddy's 2015 had issues initially when mine didn't and then mine started to lurch on stops display the same behavior as his. Neither of us track or abuse the car.

For me, it's a shame since the C7 is a absolutely wonderful car otherwise. If it came equipped with,lets say a ZF 8 speed, I would not have any negatives to say about the car.

Just passing along some friendly advice (that I wish was available before I bought mine).
Folks are really getting defensive here, lol... The issue is what you like and not what is better. I don't care a rats butt what you have or prefer but accept you are happy. The OP could not make up her/his mind and hell broke out, people really showing some bad sh*t...
Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Folks are really getting defensive here, lol... The issue is what you like and not what is better. I don't care a rats butt what you have or prefer but accept you are happy. The OP could not make up her/his mind and hell broke out, people really showing some bad sh*t...
Honestly cannot see how my post was defensive. Just pointing out that few people have issues w/ the M7 (or the A6 for 2014) which cannot be said for the A8. He asked for regrets (specifically as it relates to the C7 Corvette), my regret isn't so much choosing the M7 over the A8 or vise versa, the regret being that the A8 (if he decides to go with the automatic for whatever reason) is less than what one would expect from any automatic transmission in the GM cars.

If the A8 performed as I (and more than a few others) expected, I would not have even weighed in on this thread at all. I would have left the debate to those switching from a stick to automatic and their impressions of so doing.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but here goes. We are looking at a 2019 vert purchase. Our last 2 vettes were manual transmissions. For those that have gone to autos, do you have any regrets. Did you go back to a stick? Getting older and thinking ahead.
If you really like manuals don't go auto. You'll miss it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

I think this topic is going no where. Buy what you want and enjoy it, and don't **** on what you don't buy !
Just my feelings on this.
Rich
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Honestly cannot see how my post was defensive. Just pointing out that few people have issues w/ the M7 (or the A6 for 2014) which cannot be said for the A8. He asked for regrets (specifically as it relates to the C7 Corvette), my regret isn't so much choosing the M7 over the A8 or vise versa, the regret being that the A8 (if he decides to go with the automatic for whatever reason) is less than what one would expect from any automatic transmission in the GM cars.

If the A8 performed as I (and more than a few others) expected, I would not have even weighed in on this thread at all. I would have left the debate to those switching from a stick to automatic and their impressions of so doing.
Sorry! its was a general post not specific to you. Anyway, this topic is over, we hope. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

My car is a weekend driver, so I have a manual. If I had to drive it to work every day, I'd get an auto and have no regrets.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I had an auto C7. Was it more fun that the guys that say "it is no fun because the car is driving you" or some BS like that? Yeah, it's a lot of fun! But did I sell it and buy a manual C5Z and then a manual C7 GS? Yep, it is even more fun than the auto. The auto may be faster in a straight line, but I don't notice a difference in the 2 or 3 tenths of a second to 60. My M7 Grand Sport feels just as fast as my 662hp Shelby did, even from 60-110. I know the Shelby was faster, but the Corvette is a much nicer and well put together vehicle and from a fun perspective, a M7 C7 is as fun as it gets for under $125k.

Last edited by 'Merica; 03-19-2019 at 02:24 PM.
weathermaker (03-22-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM
mvett6802
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You want a boulevard cruiser, get the auto. Want a sports car, get the stick.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

This.

Originally Posted by airforcex
If you really like manuals don't go auto. You'll miss it.
Absolutely this.

Originally Posted by mvett6802
You want a boulevard cruiser, get the auto. Want a sports car, get the stick.
This too.

Why not one of each?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:40 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Here’s what I said in another thread:

I used to be one of those who said if it doesn’t have a third pedal then it’s no fun, or you are not really driving it, or you aren’t a man, or whatever. I doubt Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., drivers feel that way. I’d say I’m in good company with them. In my growing maturity I find it completly ridiculous that someone would criticize someone else in their choice of transmission. Why should I care what someone else chooses?
The following 4 users liked this post by KCV:
Kevin A Jones (03-19-2019), ladder13 (03-19-2019), owc6 (03-19-2019), V Vette (03-19-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Truth be told I broke my left ankle and had surgery in Dec. I know it will get better some time but not too soon. Sooo, we got the auto. If after a couple of years things change,we'll revisit the transmission choices. I hope the new fluid fixes all the problems.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KCV
Here’s what I said in another thread:

I used to be one of those who said if it doesn’t have a third pedal then it’s no fun, or you are not really driving it, or you aren’t a man, or whatever. I doubt Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., drivers feel that way. I’d say I’m in good company with them. In my growing maturity I find it completly ridiculous that someone would criticize someone else in their choice of transmission. Why should I care what someone else chooses?
Great choice of thoughts and words. Its your choice, your money,buy what you want ! I had all manuals when I was younger.
Rich

Last edited by Vette Ski; 03-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 239 Posts

this is why i think these threads are basically worthless.

theres nothing objective that can help you make your decision, for the most part. its just about what really works for you. yeah, my M7 in traffic has sucked once or twice, but id drive nothing else. its just too good. its what spins my gears and for you it may be a different story entirely. YMMV xD
Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Truth be told I broke my left ankle and had surgery in Dec. I know it will get better some time but not too soon. Sooo, we got the auto. If after a couple of years things change,we'll revisit the transmission choices. I hope the new fluid fixes all the problems.
Thanks for the update. I hope you enjoy it! I took the auto out today, and it was great fun to just drive the car.
Vette Ski (03-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Auto vs Manual

Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

OUCH! sorry to hear that! I dislocated my right ankle 4 yrs ago Still give me problems today
Good luck !!
Rich
Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,172 Likes on 588 Posts

Congrats on the new car, you made the right choice for you, now just enjoy it!

I'll go out on a limb and say 99.99% of all current Corvette owners can drive a manual some simply chose not to on their current Vette for one reason or another. All of them personal and valid.

It's the few that get defensive about their choice that always seem to have something to prove and that's just odd. These toys are fun no matter how they are equipped.
The following 6 users liked this post by JDSKY:
hummiscorvettetaken (03-24-2019), Majorhavok (04-07-2019), owc6 (03-23-2019), SuperdadZ06 (04-07-2019), V Vette (03-24-2019), Vette Ski (03-24-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

My first Corvette was a 1969 427 tri power with an auto and side pipes (wish I still had that beast). The next was a 96 GS vert (6 speed) the follow up was a 2017 GS with M7. Bad knees and wanting a vert again I now have a 2019 Z06 A8 vert. If some of you likewise "vintage/well aged" fellows remember back in the days of the CanAm cars there was a little monster called the Chaparral that handed all the rest of the field their asses. It was a god forbid automatic. The drivers said it allowed them to concentrate more on driving and less on gear selection and this was before computers to control the trans.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual