C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs Manual

 
Old Today, 10:01 AM
  #81  
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member
 
GARYFINN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Posts: 41,814
Thanked 161 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GARYFINN View Post
Autos ARE NOT MANUALS Don't kid yourself.
Originally Posted by kennyjames21 View Post
True, they are faster and more efficient.
With an auto the car drives you !!!!!
With a manual YOU drive the car !!
GARYFINN is offline  
Old Today, 10:18 AM
  #82  
Dutch08
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 832
Thanked 74 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GARYFINN View Post
With an auto the car drives you !!!!!
With a manual YOU drive the car !!
Finally the correct answer!

If you have to ask why, then buy an automatic.
Dutch08 is online now  
Old Today, 10:44 AM
  #83  
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member
 
1SG_Ret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Bonita Springs Florida
Posts: 1,828
Thanked 247 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by weathermaker View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but here goes. We are looking at a 2019 vert purchase. Our last 2 vettes were manual transmissions. For those that have gone to autos, do you have any regrets. Did you go back to a stick? Getting older and thinking ahead.
If you are a manual transmission driver and enjoy it, stick with it especially when buying a C7. The A8 is a poorly engineered transmission IMO and I'm saying that being an owner of one. Plenty threads regarding its faults and problems. Many go unresolved . Some owners report having zero issues (or maybe don't notice them), many others do. As a buyer and knowing this before I purchased my 2015, I'd have never ordered the car. Since I do not prefer a stick shift, I'd be likely driving a Cayman or an M car, or something something else instead. I'd feel like a complete idiot if I spend upwards of $60K on the car knowing I could have issues w/ the transmission and then did it anyway. My buddy's 2015 had issues initially when mine didn't and then mine started to lurch on stops display the same behavior as his. Neither of us track or abuse the car.

For me, it's a shame since the C7 is a absolutely wonderful car otherwise. If it came equipped with,lets say a ZF 8 speed, I would not have any negatives to say about the car.

Just passing along some friendly advice (that I wish was available before I bought mine).
1SG_Ret is offline  
Old Today, 11:29 AM
  #84  
V Vette
CF Senior Member
 
V Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 4,696
Thanked 154 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
If you are a manual transmission driver and enjoy it, stick with it especially when buying a C7. The A8 is a poorly engineered transmission IMO and I'm saying that being an owner of one. Plenty threads regarding its faults and problems. Many go unresolved . Some owners report having zero issues (or maybe don't notice them), many others do. As a buyer and knowing this before I purchased my 2015, I'd have never ordered the car. Since I do not prefer a stick shift, I'd be likely driving a Cayman or an M car, or something something else instead. I'd feel like a complete idiot if I spend upwards of $60K on the car knowing I could have issues w/ the transmission and then did it anyway. My buddy's 2015 had issues initially when mine didn't and then mine started to lurch on stops display the same behavior as his. Neither of us track or abuse the car.

For me, it's a shame since the C7 is a absolutely wonderful car otherwise. If it came equipped with,lets say a ZF 8 speed, I would not have any negatives to say about the car.

Just passing along some friendly advice (that I wish was available before I bought mine).
Folks are really getting defensive here, lol... The issue is what you like and not what is better. I don't care a rats butt what you have or prefer but accept you are happy. The OP could not make up her/his mind and hell broke out, people really showing some bad sh*t...
V Vette is offline  
Old Today, 12:48 PM
  #85  
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member
 
1SG_Ret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Bonita Springs Florida
Posts: 1,828
Thanked 247 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V Vette View Post
Folks are really getting defensive here, lol... The issue is what you like and not what is better. I don't care a rats butt what you have or prefer but accept you are happy. The OP could not make up her/his mind and hell broke out, people really showing some bad sh*t...
Honestly cannot see how my post was defensive. Just pointing out that few people have issues w/ the M7 (or the A6 for 2014) which cannot be said for the A8. He asked for regrets (specifically as it relates to the C7 Corvette), my regret isn't so much choosing the M7 over the A8 or vise versa, the regret being that the A8 (if he decides to go with the automatic for whatever reason) is less than what one would expect from any automatic transmission in the GM cars.

If the A8 performed as I (and more than a few others) expected, I would not have even weighed in on this thread at all. I would have left the debate to those switching from a stick to automatic and their impressions of so doing.
1SG_Ret is offline  
Old Today, 01:00 PM
  #86  
airforcex
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Posts: 410
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by weathermaker View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but here goes. We are looking at a 2019 vert purchase. Our last 2 vettes were manual transmissions. For those that have gone to autos, do you have any regrets. Did you go back to a stick? Getting older and thinking ahead.
If you really like manuals don't go auto. You'll miss it.
airforcex is offline  
Old Today, 01:19 PM
  #87  
Vette Ski
CF Senior Member
 
Vette Ski's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Howell N.J
Posts: 265
Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I think this topic is going no where. Buy what you want and enjoy it, and don't **** on what you don't buy !
Just my feelings on this.
Rich
Vette Ski is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vette Ski For This Useful Post:
V Vette (Today)
Old Today, 01:30 PM
  #88  
V Vette
CF Senior Member
 
V Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 4,696
Thanked 154 Times in 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
Honestly cannot see how my post was defensive. Just pointing out that few people have issues w/ the M7 (or the A6 for 2014) which cannot be said for the A8. He asked for regrets (specifically as it relates to the C7 Corvette), my regret isn't so much choosing the M7 over the A8 or vise versa, the regret being that the A8 (if he decides to go with the automatic for whatever reason) is less than what one would expect from any automatic transmission in the GM cars.

If the A8 performed as I (and more than a few others) expected, I would not have even weighed in on this thread at all. I would have left the debate to those switching from a stick to automatic and their impressions of so doing.
Sorry! its was a general post not specific to you. Anyway, this topic is over, we hope. Thank you!
V Vette is offline  
Old Today, 01:40 PM
  #89  
Billy346
CF Senior Member
 
Billy346's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 784
Thanked 349 Times in 197 Posts
Default

My car is a weekend driver, so I have a manual. If I had to drive it to work every day, I'd get an auto and have no regrets.
Billy346 is offline  
Old Today, 02:23 PM
  #90  
'Merica
CF Senior Member
 
'Merica's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 484
Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I had an auto C7. Was it more fun that the guys that say "it is no fun because the car is driving you" or some BS like that? Yeah, it's a lot of fun! But did I sell it and buy a manual C5Z and then a manual C7 GS? Yep, it is even more fun than the auto. The auto may be faster in a straight line, but I don't notice a difference in the 2 or 3 tenths of a second to 60. My M7 Grand Sport feels just as fast as my 662hp Shelby did, even from 60-110. I know the Shelby was faster, but the Corvette is a much nicer and well put together vehicle and from a fun perspective, a M7 C7 is as fun as it gets for under $125k.

Last edited by 'Merica; Today at 02:24 PM.
'Merica is online now  
Old Today, 04:47 PM
  #91  
mvett6802
Junior Member
 
mvett6802's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 28
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

You want a boulevard cruiser, get the auto. Want a sports car, get the stick.
mvett6802 is online now  
Old Today, 05:14 PM
  #92  
Bikespace
CF Senior Member
 
Bikespace's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,432
Thanked 222 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GARYFINN View Post
With an auto the car drives you !!!!!
With a manual YOU drive the car !!
This.

Originally Posted by airforcex View Post
If you really like manuals don't go auto. You'll miss it.
Absolutely this.

Originally Posted by mvett6802 View Post
You want a boulevard cruiser, get the auto. Want a sports car, get the stick.
This too.

Why not one of each?
Bikespace is online now  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: