C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CANNOT get the bumper cover to release from tab bracket!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent

Whelp - there it is. You made my decision for me on bulb replacement, Z06 grill, brake ducts. 1-shot, 3-kills. I watched the videos and I completely understand your frustration. Don't want to pull too hard think they'll break.
Curious, your replaced the OEMs with what?
You won't regret your decision to let the dealer mess with it I promise you. There were at least three or four times during my process to where I thought I was going to damage something. Osram has a direct OEM replacement that I went with. Got them on eBay for $66 with free shipping and no tax. That's for the pair.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
OP... what ended up getting it free? I tried all the tricks and the how-tos on there said just pull hard, you'll feel like it's going to break, but it will release. Nope... snapped the tab right off mine. Admittedly my garage was 45-50 degrees. I was able to fix the bumper and weld the tab back on and you'd never know. I have worked on many cars and had 4 C5s before the C7. I have build race cars and show cars. I'm not a novice to working on these cars, but I HATE the front bumper design. Some peoples' just pop loose, On mine, the bumper tabs had developed a hard edge which effectively locked onto the metal bracket that bolts to the fender.

I now own the service manuals and it states to use a nylon wedge to "create space" in the joint... but doing that just makes the metal bracket grip tighter. Then use a "suitable flatblade" to release the tab. The video of the yellow car often shows just pulling on it is not the OEM-recommended way.
Okay, here's what I did after hours of frustration. I stopped, had a nice cup of coffee and just inspected everything and really thought about it. After cooling down a bit, I used a swivel socket to loosen up the 7 mm bolts at the tab bracket. Once I did that, the bumper literally fell right off. That makes the removal extremely easy but it was a little tricky getting the bolts loose with the swivel socket. However, when you go to reinstall the bumper, you'll have to mess with the bracket to make sure the bumper aligns with the fender properly. That was a little bit of a bear but if you just take your time and concentrate, it's okay. Hope that helps bud.👍
The following users liked this post:
ImpliedConsent (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
How many miles were on your car before bulb burnt out?
Just turned 61k miles. 2014 Z51, 3LT 7spd daily driver.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

In conclusion, I've noticed all of the YouTube videos I could find online for instruction made it seem like it was no big deal. This is not true. It's a big job and took me five hours to do it right. I will say, the one thing that will save you a lot of time and stress is to go on ahead and just loosen up the headlight bracket bolts. That way you don't put any stress on the bumper cover tabs and risk breaking them or breaking paint like so many have experienced. Just loosen the brackets with a swivel and the bumper cover comes right off. Then when you go to reinstall, leave the brackets loose, put the bumper cover back down into the tab position, push the bumper cover up 45° and then you can get your swivel socket in to retighten the bracket bolts. Trust me. Don't Yank on the bumper cover at the tabs like people are telling you to do! The bracket has to be loose.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

What a terrible engineering design by GM for bulb replacement.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

You ain't kidding!! 👍
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I loosened the brackets after I broke the tab on one side... the other side still fought me to no end... like I said, somehow I got a fascia with tabs that had very hard/sharp edges on the holes the bracket tangs go it. It would not release.

As for GM engineering... the entire C7 is engineered to to be assembled as quickly/efficiently as possible on the assembly line the first time. Less parts, less tools, less steps. The bumpers and trim just snap on. Great for assembly, horrible for working on the car. I'm a broken record, but I've had 4 C5s and those cars were all held together with 10mm nuts on stud plates and torx screws. Very easy to take the bumpers on/off hundreds of times and easy to get them perfectly aligned then tighten things down.

On the C7 you have to get the outer front bumper brackets tight, before you install the bumper. Then if that outer seam is off (and it's off on many C7s) you have to then yank the bumper loose again wearing out the holes and plastic brackets a little more.

If you remove the plastic trim under the hood that covers the headlight adjusters, you can see the back side of one of the bolts that holds the stud plates to the fender. It would have been simple for GM to make that bracket attach to the bumper and then to the fender with nuts/bolts. But.... during assembly that would be one more bin of nuts, one more step for an assembly line worker.

Now that mine is my trackday car I'm re-doing the front bumper brackets to make them bolt on... it will be simple to position bumper then secure with nuts from the back-side accessed under hood. Outer part will still be "pull apart" but those are plastic brackets and less likely to damage the fascia.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm pretty sure GM isn't looking for ways to make things easier for the DIYs out there. For obvious reasons.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
I'm pretty sure GM isn't looking for ways to make things easier for the DIYs out there. For obvious reasons.
They aren't... and it's a shame given how easy the C5/6 are to work on. There's no reason they couldn't have designed some kind of bulb access panel in the wheel well.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Labmannn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Note to self: When a headlight burns out, spend the extra money and have it replaced by the dealer.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
They aren't... and it's a shame given how easy the C5/6 are to work on. There's no reason they couldn't have designed some kind of bulb access panel in the wheel well.
Of course they could have made it easier, but again, for the obvious reason they didn't.
We all know the service dept. is the bread & butter of any dealership, so that's who GM (& others) is naturally going to cater to when they design their vehicles.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Labmannn
Note to self: When a headlight burns out, spend the extra money and have it replaced by the dealer.
There ya go, my point made.

Quick Reply: CANNOT get the bumper cover to release from tab bracket!!!!