C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you Happy with yout A8 Decision?
Yes - Love it, it is what I thought it would be and/or more
57.69%
Yes - I sometimes miss a manual, but very rarely in real life
30.34%
Ambivalent - A lot of times I wish I had picked an M7
2.99%
No - I always wish I had picked the M7, the auto was a mistake
8.97%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Auto Owners Only - Are You Happy With the A8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Up until this car, all of my previous Corvettes were manuals. Manuals are more fun, but the harsh reality of living in Southern California is daily traffic jams, and frankly, driving a stick in heavy traffic is a PIA. So given that reality, I don't regret buying an automatic.

Phil
Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Anyone know which trade in provides a better value (based on same car with same options), an automatic or standard?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Anyone know which trade in provides a better value (based on same car with same options), an automatic or standard?
Looking at Kelley blue book values for equivalent C7 cars in manual and automatic transmission, it appears that manuals are holding their value better than automatics. However depending where you live...they may be harder to sell. When I ask local Carmax...they say no difference in trade in for either...
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM
plake
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 76 Posts

Good question, I have a A8 and want a M7. The A8 is 2K option, should be worth more.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 AM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by plake
Good question, I have a A8 and want a M7. The A8 is 2K option, should be worth more.
Do you really want an M7? or are you just spending too much time on this forum getting tired of the beat down we recieve for owning an A8?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Why do some people turn these polls into "this is better than yours' attitudes? Who gives a Sh*t what you think is better, if your happy we are happy. For example, there was a new Vette owner the other day who was proud to show the new car, guess what, a member decided to show what he got and posted a picture of his car??? No wonder we all can't get along and we ALL have Corvettes! Geesh!
Well said!! I would actually post more but it gets old when some knuckleheads have to always be looking to start an argument. I’m not overly sensitive, thin skinned, or any other label one pins on me. I’m just interested in learning more about my Corvette and reading what others have experienced along the way.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:53 AM
plake
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 76 Posts

My previous 9 Corvettes were manuals, first auto, I miss the manual and am looking for one currently.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:04 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I swing both ways. (On the transmission )
When I looked for my car there were certain items I wanted and found one that fit the bill. I didn't care if it was auto or manual. I might get a manual on the next one just for a change of pace. Mine has 93,000 miles on it and has been perfect. But others with the A8 have had major issues. I know it's a minority, but it makes me a little leery.

Last edited by joemessman; 03-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Originally Posted by Dallas007
Well said!! I would actually post more but it gets old when some knuckleheads have to always be looking to start an argument. I’m not overly sensitive, thin skinned, or any other label one pins on me. I’m just interested in learning more about my Corvette and reading what others have experienced along the way.
This may or may not be the case, but it seems like there are a few on here that feel like the manual trans was just invented? and they have been the ones to discover its charm with their first vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by hummiscorvettetaken:
Dallas007 (03-24-2019), V Vette (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

A8s as they are a couple grand more when new and much easier to sell on dealer lots.

Only18% of american drivers can operate a manual according to US News & World Report so market is so much smaller than for a A8.
V Vette (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Blue Curvette
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Posted something earlier but for some reason it did not show up. I did a search on Kelley blue book values for equivalent automatic and manual C7 cars and it appears that the manual transmission versions have less depreciation over the years. But depending on the area...you may find it harder to sell. I also checked with Carmax and they indicate no difference in trade in to Carmax for Auto vs Manual C7 Corvettes. Just thought I would share...

Last edited by Blue Curvette; 03-20-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

I sometimes miss having a manual, but I test-drove the M7 and A8 back-to-back before buying. Didn't like 7 gears- was too confusing.
If I wanted to go back to a manual- I'd get the 6 speed Camaro over the M7 Vette
Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

What I think would be interesting is to know the AGE of the people that like the idea of a manual trans.

If I had to take a shot in the dark guess I would think they are at LEAST 50+.

On the other hand I suspect that anyone under the age of 50 is far more likely to say give me an auto or even better give me a dual clutch (IE C8 Corvette).
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Katie22
What I think would be interesting is to know the AGE of the people that like the idea of a manual trans.

On the other hand I suspect that anyone under the age of 50 is far more likely to say give me an auto or even better give me a dual clutch (IE C8 Corvette).
Funny I think older folks (Over 55) would like the auto, they been there done that...Good question!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Funny I think older folks (Over 55) would like the auto, they been there done that...Good question!
True but I don't think the "been there done that" argument works with this M7 crowd - it really doesn't matter how many manuals you have had in the past OR might presently have in your collection at this time.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Much better than my 2014 A6.
V Vette (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 PM
GeoBella
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

The age thing is right, I have owned 8 Corvettes in my lifetime starting in 1968. All seven previous Vetts were 4 speeds, my C7 Z06 is the first Auto trans because I’m old and want to enjoy my ride during my upcoming retirement this June. The A8 is perfect for me😁
V Vette (03-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Owners Only - Are You Happy With the A8?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Katie22
If I had to guess, I'd say the vast majority of M7 owners are between 45>65. My thought process being many over 65 hips/knees/ankles aren't up to the constant clutch operation in traffic and very few under 45 ever learned to shift a manual, which is a shame in my opinion.
I taught my three daughters to drive with the understanding they couldn't drive anything until they could drive everything. So they learned to drive a stick and had to be able to drive in reverse as good as forward. Two of the 3 first cars were sticks. I figured less chance of friends (or more boyfriends) driving their cars.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 03-20-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

It's not without its flaws but its not as bad as everyone cracks it up to be. I would have gotten the m7 but got the A8 it due to arthritis (I'm 31) and yes I have the warble and shudder. Still, I love the way it shifts (on paddles) and those two problems don't really bother me much since my driving habits helps me avoid them.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

After owning nothing but manuals for 35 years I bought a 2015 Stingray A8 in 2015 for two reasons: I found a new car in stock at a nearby dealer with all the options I wanted except the M7 and I knew modern slushboxes were excellent performers. My last one was a THM in a 1971 Camaro, so I decided to try something different, but my attitude began to deteriorate on the drive home from the dealer when I first noticed an odd shudder at times. It reminded me of a bad U-joint and reporting to the dealer was unproductive since it was early in the A8 life cycle and there was little or no service history on the problems familiar to all of us now. In the first month I couldn't reproduce the shudder again but as time progressed I started noticing it and the tach fluctuations on rare occasions, but not frequently enough to demonstrate it to a dealer. After 18 months it began to get worse and at the two year mark had the TC replaced along with the 3X flush.

On top of all that my car also had the delayed engagement issue plaguing some A8s, but it only occurred about every three months and I could never reproduce it while at a dealer. Even though the tranny was out for the TC swap, GM would not fix the delayed engagement problem because I couldn't reproduce the behavior at a dealer. To add insult to injury, when picking the car up after the TC service it wouldn't go into gear immediately and of course no one was around to witness it. Since it was a sporadic problem I knew it wouldn't repeat it, so I didn't even bother mentioning it to anyone.

So the shudder and tach fluctuation problem was fixed, but the other issue was still there and by that time I had had enough. Reports of people having the TC swap more than once wasn't helping my attitude. What's more I missed shifting and I immediately started car shopping while the car was in the shop. Two weeks later I bought my current m7 GS and life is good again. To answer the question in the thread subject, I consider the A8 to be a good performer and I had no complaints about its behavior or functionality, but the specter of having a repeat experience in the future didn't help my attitude and I wouldn't buy another one. Had I not had all of these problems I would probably still own that car, but I would also miss shifting. The TC problems are what pushed me over the edge and back to my destiny of being shifty person once again.

Last edited by iclick; 03-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto Owners Only - Are You Happy With the A8?