Sponsored by:

How to remove hard water spots

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 PM
Lowholer
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to remove hard water spots

Hello fello corvette enthusiast I am a new corvette owner and like to keep my stuff sharp.After washing my car I hand dry it but I still get water spots.What is the secret to getting them out,They show up prettye bad.I wax often but even then they are still present and really tuff to get out,Any Ideas?is there something I can buy that will help with out ruining my paint?I spent big dollars for a water softner system installed for my house it helps but I still have spots.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Couple of tips to prevent them:
Try washing in the shade or cooler temps
Use a pH neutral soap. I like Adams.
Use a drying aid like a detail spray or Beadmaker.

Last edited by DTOM; 03-18-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

SOMETIMES, all it takes is to clay bar the car.

Other times, you need to be more aggressive and polish the car (machine polishing is the easiest)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

We have serious minerals in our water here so I use a CR Spotless deionizer and a Master Blaster to rinse and dry the car. No water spots. Pricey but not much choice here.

The following users liked this post:
Art17 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
SOMETIMES, all it takes is to clay bar the car.

Other times, you need to be more aggressive and polish the car (machine polishing is the easiest)
This will do it.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I use this after washing with hard-*** North Texas tap water and I never have water spots

The trick is not to use too much or it will streak
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:32 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

My car has never been washed. I use waterless wash and wax.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:32 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 50th year
Same here (Griots is MY poison)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

They're emulsified with a dose of detail spray or wax and polishing with a detailer towel.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Had the same issue a few years back... Got the same general answers that are in this thread so far...I don't know about you, but I didn't have a clay bar nor did I want to put in the elbow grease or risk scratches using a machine...Here's what you can do for a few bucks and surprisingly, it actually works:

1) Wet the glass

2) Wet a sponge and put Bon Ami (found in any supermarket for $1.29 or less) on the sponge

3) Wet the sponge some more so the Bon Ami dissolves into it

4) Make small circular swirls with the Bon Ami covered sponge all over your glass

5) Wash glass and rinse thoroughly.

Ta-daa...water spots are gone.

Last edited by direct007; 03-18-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,204 Likes on 3,451 Posts

I use an inline filter on my hose when I wash the black C7. It's the only one of my vehicles it's a visible issue for. It doesn't take an expensive filter. I got mine from amazon though I don't recall the name and I'm not at my shop to check. That and a clay bar of your choice to get it clean to begin with--then, filtered water. Also, Maquiars makes a kit for glass that includes a cleaner and sealer. It can take multiple applications of the cleaner and a lot of rubbing but the result is worth it, imho.

All the best.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

I think he he was talking about the paint....

Originally Posted by direct007
Had the same issue a few years back... Got the same general answers that are in this thread so far...I don't know about you, but I didn't have a clay bar nor did I want to put in the elbow grease or risk scratches using a machine...Here's what you can do for a few bucks and surprisingly, it actually works:

1) Wet the glass

2) Wet a sponge and put Bon Ami (found in any supermarket for $1.29 or less) on the sponge

3) Wet the sponge some more so the Bon Ami dissolves into it

4) Make small circular swirls with the Bon Ami covered sponge all over your glass

5) Wash glass and rinse thoroughly.

Ta-daa...water spots are gone.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Lowholer
Intermediate

Thanks guys I appreciate all the responsesThank You! I do get heavy spotting on my glass as well and will give the Bon ami a try!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Another vote for CR Spotless. Wash, rinse, walk away.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 PM
shineocd
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

There are lots of products that will remove water spots but the bigger issue is you need to change your washing technique to prevent them from happening at all. I have no idea what your process is so it's very hard to help you. With a little more information perhaps we can get you better suggestions and help you out. What soap do you use, are you in the shade, do you use a drying agent, what type of towels, etc etc etc
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 AM
Lowholer
Intermediate

I am in the shade and have tried several brands of car wash soap.I had a top of the line hard water filter system installed to my water supply in my new home.Did a lot of research on the systems offered .The system I installed was $3500.00 it works real well my outside faucets are plumed through it as well.The biggest problem is in this part of the world Kennewick Washington it is well known for hard water.I am on a well and I hand dry my cars as soon as I am done that helps a lot with minimizing but I still have spotting,I googled how to remove water spots from your car and one of the tricks was to use white viniger and water mix,But that also removes wax and they recommend to apply a new coat of wax that's a lot of work if your washing a1 time a week.Thanks again I am going to try the H20 ordered some from amazon let you know how it works out.I dry my car with clean shami as well.
Thanks for the ideas fellas!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM
shineocd
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowholer
I am in the shade and have tried several brands of car wash soap.I had a top of the line hard water filter system installed to my water supply in my new home.Did a lot of research on the systems offered .The system I installed was $3500.00 it works real well my outside faucets are plumed through it as well.The biggest problem is in this part of the world Kennewick Washington it is well known for hard water.I am on a well and I hand dry my cars as soon as I am done that helps a lot with minimizing but I still have spotting,I googled how to remove water spots from your car and one of the tricks was to use white viniger and water mix,But that also removes wax and they recommend to apply a new coat of wax that's a lot of work if your washing a1 time a week.Thanks again I am going to try the H20 ordered some from amazon let you know how it works out.I dry my car with clean shami as well.
Thanks for the ideas fellas!
I am on a municipal system with very hard water as well. Glad to hear you are in the shade. Yes you are correct you can use vinegar to remove water spots and other products as well. Does you car have a ceramic coating on it? I ask because they require a little extra care and can be prone to water spotting. The Chamois maybe part of your problem. Personally I find them to be a terrible drying device. Invest in some really good microfiber towels.Or a blow dryer made for cars like the Metroblaster. Use a drying aid such as Meguiars D15601 X-Press spray wax or similar product. They work wonders. Lastly use a good soap, and a quality wash mitt.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

I like to wash the roof, hood, trunk lid, and the side doors to the level of the door handles then dry. Then wash the drivers side from where I left off to the bottom of the panels then dry. Then wash the passenger side from where I left off to the bottom of the panels then dry. Then I was the front end and dry. Then I was the rear of the car and then dry. Lastly I was the rims and tires and then dry. ( Some wash the rims first) I use this method because noting ever has the chance to dry before I get it to it.

If you are washing the entire vehicle and then trying to come back and dry it without a drying aid before it dries on its own, you are likely causing your own water spotting. Especially with a Chamois. Your challenge now is to remove the existing water spots which may only be accomplished via compound and polishing then reapplying a sealant and /or wax. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove hard water spots

Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I used to have them until i started doing the wheels first, then the car, then drying immediately.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:18 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
We have serious minerals in our water here so I use a CR Spotless deionizer and a Master Blaster to rinse and dry the car. No water spots. Pricey but not much choice here.

Your set-up looks like mine, the CR spotless next to the lift and the METRO Blaster/ Vacuum on the wall. I have three black vehicles, so I'm always ordering more resin LOL. One thing I did do is plumb a bypass, so I can leave the CR hooked up to the hose reel in the garage.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th year
Just try parking overnight in one of the million Motel parking lots with nightly grass sprinklers wetting everything in sight. Usually nasty hard water welcome in the morning for you. BAD !!
The following 2 users liked this post by Duntov7:
DWillys (03-20-2019), Maxie2U (03-19-2019)

Quick Reply: How to remove hard water spots