C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving from my beloved C6 to a C7 Grand Sport. Should I?

Old 03-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Simple, JUST DO IT! Duh.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Hard plastic trunk wheel wells that scratch easily.
I'd like to see contoured carpet sections molded to fit over these, but I haven't found them as yet.

The following users liked this post:
Gearhead Jim (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Dude, OP, there are literally 10s of thousands of threads in the C7 section on everything under the sun on ownership experience. Similarily you can spend time on the C6 forum to hear what an abomination the C7 is. Related you can go to most Chevy dealers and see one in person...and maybe test drive.

Perhaps I just don’t understand these help me decide threads...but dude nut up and make a call. If you’ve been “thinking about ot for 2 years” and describe your C6 as beloved...it’s not for you.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I don't understand the help me decide threads either. That process simply doesn't work. Either you want the C7 or not. If you're waffling then the answer is no.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:24 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I went from a new 1977 C3 A3, to a new 2017 C7 M7.

Never ever even considered a C4/5/6.

You're definitely doing the right thing.....

LOL . . . I went from '76 to GS. Still have the '76, but it is mostly ignored now; I'll get back to working on it one of these days . . . I was considering a used C5 or C6, but once I started looking and comparing, the C7 was looking pretty good cost-wise. Then the GS came out and I just HAD to order one. This car has exceeded all my expectations.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
I'd like to see contoured carpet sections molded to fit over these, but I haven't found them as yet.

In addition to looking better, they might cut the noise a bit.

(Thread Hijack in Progress)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider7467
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Yes, the last two years I've been thinking about selling my 2008 Artic White manual C6 coupe to purchase a 2017 to 2019 C7 Grand Sport. The C6 has been incredibly reliable and needless to say I have added my touch to it since I bought it from a Corvette crazy gentleman in the Pittsburgh Pa area. He kept it immaculate and in a heated garage. My only hesitancy is that having owned the 2008 since 2011, I know it very well and like I said earlier has been a joy since I've acquired it. Never a problem - ever. Then again, its for weekend spirited pleasure driving, etc.

I'd like to hear how your ownership has been for everyone with a C7. Grand Sport input is a plus and if you moved up to a C7, from what generation you did so. Prices are well in my budget too.

I get it. A C7 forum and what do you think I'd hear from everyone. Go for it !! Don't hesitate !! etc etc. Tell me whole-heartedly what is it that gets your gears turning about the C7.
Oh, BTW, die hard manual driver. Why should the paddle-shifting preference over M7.. Fast shifting is a given, not a good enough reason because of course it is.

Thanks everyone !!
Greater weather, here we come!!
I moved from a 2013 GS to 17’ GS and although I loved the 13’ I’m glad I moved to the C-7. I went to the auto this time and no regrets, I’d make the same choice again. I always thought all my Corvettes should be M but I’m happy with the auto. You won’t go wrong moving to the C-7 M-7 or auto.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

This is my first corvette, but my dad owned a 69 vert when I was a kid (that he sold just before I turned 16) and I had wanted a vette ever since. I started making enough money to comfortably afford a vette when the C5 came out, but I never really loved the look (the front looked like a hotdog roll to me... just my opinion...). Then the C6 came out and I felt like they really nailed it with the looks of that model year and almost bought one a couple of times. Then I saw a C7 on the road and I literally almost crashed when I saw it - it was perfection to me and thats when I knew I had to buy one. It took me a few years after that to actually pull the trigger but I'm glad I did. The car looks amazing - I've driven a lot of flashy cars but none of them got the looks and reactions this car gets (19 GS), and the ride can be as smooth as a cruiser or as tight as a track car, with precision handling and awesome performance. My only complaint is that it's not quite loud enough for my taste...

If you're thinking about upgrading then obviously you want to - life is short my friend, do it and enjoy it asap!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Went from an 2007 C6 Roadster, to a 2016 base Roadster. I thought I would miss my C6 as I really did enjoy that car. But, I didn't, and haven't. And, I just traded that 2016 base Roadster for a 2019 Grand Sport Roadster. Again I haven't missed that little '16 at all. I think you see the trend there. I haven't had much wheel time in the GS because of the weather here in the southeast, but I will say that IMHO if you're buying certainly get the Grand Sport. However, you will not be disappointed either way you go. I always said of my C6 that it would be hard for GM to do any better, but I'm here to say that they did with the C7.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
. I always said of my C6 that it would be hard for GM to do any better, but I'm here to say that they did with the C7.

The design and engineering people don't get paid unless they make progress, I hear.

Rebel Yell (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:29 PM
ShadowB
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
This is my first corvette, but my dad owned a 69 vert when I was a kid (that he sold just before I turned 16) and I had wanted a vette ever since. I started making enough money to comfortably afford a vette when the C5 came out, but I never really loved the look (the front looked like a hotdog roll to me... just my opinion...). Then the C6 came out and I felt like they really nailed it with the looks of that model year and almost bought one a couple of times. Then I saw a C7 on the road and I literally almost crashed when I saw it - it was perfection to me and thats when I knew I had to buy one. It took me a few years after that to actually pull the trigger but I'm glad I did. The car looks amazing - I've driven a lot of flashy cars but none of them got the looks and reactions this car gets (19 GS), and the ride can be as smooth as a cruiser or as tight as a track car, with precision handling and awesome performance. My only complaint is that it's not quite loud enough for my taste...

If you're thinking about upgrading then obviously you want to - life is short my friend, do it and enjoy it asap!
I agree on the need for “louder”, kind of like “I need more cow bell”.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:54 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

The longer you wait,the sooner you will realize.Why the Hell did i wait so long?
It's not cheap.Good isn't.The GS Is a sick looking,Race car.
A Toy that will take that corner and Stick.(Read the Manuel)
Then at the push of a Top Down Button your on a Super Bike a little Safer.
Now rotate a Dial.You have Economy,Weather and other Suspension Changes.
Go ahead and wait longer...You'll be Sorry
Told my Wife,What the Hell are we waiting For...Another death or sickness? F THAT!!

Last edited by DALE#3; 03-22-2019 at 06:58 PM.
V Vette (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by V Vette
True your matrix provided much although he never mentioned a C8 (C6 to a C7 Grand Sport. Should I?) that was his question, lol! Thanks
I'll respectfully disagree. I think the idea is to be as forthcoming with information as one might be, and be cautious with advice. Most on here tread that line very carefully, and well. In that regard of providing info, it'd be a bit sad if you ask me, if the OP got highly motivated and went out and got a C7 GS this weekend based on the well-made opinions on this thread. Then, came on here again next week, beaming with a pic of his new car only to find out the C8 is truly imminent and soon-to-be-announced. After all, there is such a thing as too much info, but his question might be correctly expanded to include the C8 in this case. JMO.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by STEFFENS
Have had 2 C6's both great cars. But the 17' Grand Sport I

17 GS
have now is an amazing car with the technology and development we expect as each new platform is created. you will love it
We have the same car lol

But like others have said the C7 is just so much better. When I started out to buy my first Vette I was set on a C6 Grand Sport. I liked the look over the base model and the targa over the Z06, though I love the Zs LS7. After looking and driving several I came across a C7 Z51 that was within my price range, drove that and instantly new I wanted a C7. Well picky me kept looking and ended up deciding I wanted a C7 GS and finally found the one I ended up buying. Just a fantastic car, literally couldn’t be happier.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I am following as I am in the same boat. Someone mentioned wait for the C8 to decide. Best advice given.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'll respectfully disagree. I think the idea is to be as forthcoming with information as one might be, and be cautious with advice. Most on here tread that line very carefully, and well. In that regard of providing info, it'd be a bit sad if you ask me, if the OP got highly motivated and went out and got a C7 GS this weekend based on the well-made opinions on this thread. Then, came on here again next week, beaming with a pic of his new car only to find out the C8 is truly imminent and soon-to-be-announced. After all, there is such a thing as too much info, but his question might be correctly expanded to include the C8 in this case. JMO.
OK thanks..We are all here to learn and I would wait for the C8!

Last edited by V Vette; 03-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving from my beloved C6 to a C7 Grand Sport. Should I?