C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened after storing my C7 with a full tank of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 PM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What happened after storing my C7 with a full tank of gas?

NOTHING! The car started right up and sounded great. I drove off a 1/4 tank of gas to make sure everything was ok too.

I’m in Michigan and haven’t touched the car since the end of October, and it sat with a full tank of gas with Sta-Bil. I was nervous all winter because of this forum and the opinions on how much gas that needed to be in the tank during storage. The answer? It probably doesn’t matter as long as you use a product like Sta-Bil.

Spring is here!

Last edited by BMF82; 03-24-2019 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rogergcam (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

You did good! I worked in the marine industry for 7 years. We would never put up a boat or yacht for winter with anything less than 95% full fuel tanks (leave a little room for heat expansion in the spring). Adding a fuel stabilizer was also a good practice. We primarily used Star-Tron but Sta-Bil is OK as well. Keep doing that and you should never have any fuel related winter storage issues.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-25-2019 at 03:29 PM.
BMF82 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 746 Likes on 560 Posts

Remember about the article from that GM tech that said to leave less then a quarter of a tank when storing. Stirred up a lot of controversy I filled my whole tank with fuel then stabil last year and never had a problem. was going to go with no gas this winter storage just a little gas and no stabilizer like he said. He explained what would happen if you didn't do that, eventually, just don't remember the specifics. Well respected GM tech so you would think he knows what he's talking about. Feedback??
Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82
NOTHING! The car started right up and sounded great. I drove off a 1/4 tank of gas to make sure everything was ok too.

I’m in Michigan and haven’t touched the car since the end of October, and it sat with a full tank of gas with Sta-Bil. I was nervous all winter because of this forum and the opinions on how much gas that needed to be in the tank during storage. The answer? It probably doesn’t matter as long as you use a product like Sta-Bil.

Spring is here!
I bought a quart sized StaBil a couple years ago. Opened and used some. The remainder has discolored to dark burgundy. Wondering if this slow usage affects it negatively?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,917 Posts

I parked my car for the winter with a full tank of Exxon 93 and no additives. Per ExxonMobil, their fuel is good for up to 6 months of storage. I filled the tank in mid-Novemeber and will have it burned through by mid-May.
BMF82 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I never had to actually park mine but it did take a dozen or so bottles of Techron to fix the damn fuel level sender sensor.

It's no joke. The sensor does not like to be covered in fuel.
JerryU (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

try to use ethanol-free gas before a lengthy storage period:

However, unlike hydrocarbons, ethanol is hydrophilic, meaning it bonds to water.

"If there’s ethanol in your gasoline, it could start sucking in water vapor from the air and putting it into your gasoline," Stanley said. "You don't want water in your engine, because it starts corroding the system."
Does Gasoline Go Bad?

On a vette that i kept for ten years, i only put 2400 miles on it, and used just 130 gals of gas. but all of it was ethanol-free, and i only used sta-bil once. on it's last drive to sell it i went 121 miles with no problems.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 03-24-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've been keeping our various Corvettes with the level above 1/2 most of the driving time, and full when stored, for the last 18 yrs/230k+ miles, and never had any problems with the fuel sensors. Always Top Tier Premium. Other people drain down below 1/4 tank for storage and also have no problems. Some people do have problems either way. I understand the theory about storing below 1/4, but the evidence is not yet enough to convince me either way. Too bad GM won't do a study for us.

We never use Stabil or anything similar, just burn down below 1/4 to get most of the old gas out and then fill up with Top Tier Premium. Storage time is usually about 5 months.
BMF82 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I store it with a full tank no additives and no problems. A lot of issues actually non issues get overblown on this forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by dvilin:
BMF82 (03-25-2019), Gotta-Qik-C7 (03-25-2019), Kevin A Jones (03-25-2019), rogergcam (03-25-2019), speed4tu (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
You did good! I worked in the marine industry for 7 years. We would never put up a boat or yacht for winter with anything less than 95% full fuel tanks (leave a little room for heat expansion in the spring).
Originally Posted by owc6
I never had to actually park mine but it did take a dozen or so bottles of Techron to fix the damn fuel level sender sensor.

It's no joke. The sensor does not like to be covered in fuel.
Lisa is right! That boat (or my Street Rod) didn't have a fuel sender that was hard to replace if it failed by being coated with a sulfur compound causing it not to work or be erratic! The problem with the C7 is to replace that cheap fuel sender means removing both fuel tanks. That requires first dropping the drive train from engine to rear wheels! A poster said they were horrified when they saw their car all apart on the ground at a dealer. If past warranty- expensive!

The issue is with the tank full it sits in gasoline and sulfur plates out on the fuel sender electrical slider. Yep I use Stabil in my Street Rod and keep the tank full. However if the fuel sender fails, I can drop that tank very easily! Not sure about Stabil but TECHRON has additives that dissolve that sulfur compound. Read the info it says for dissolving these sulfur compounds. I use it in addition to using Top Tier gas I add it periodically "just as a precaution."

These one shot "worked this year" examples don't cover the folks who have had the issue! Best following the advise and store with 1/4 tank where the fuel sending mechanism is out of the gas. With today's sealed gas tank keeping if full is NOT needed anyway! Sure with a vented tank (like my Street Rod) that was (is) useful.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,457 Likes on 759 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have had issues with Stabil in the past, but since they have changed the formula. Yes, I use it in small motors as those are more prone to varnishing etc. I have had Vettes for over 20 years from C3-C7. Early on in my C3 I used it, but moved to simply filling the tank at season end and starting once a month. This year I accidently put away my C7 with less than a 1/4 tank, but still started it regularly. In the end over all of my Vettes I really never saw any difference, with or without Stabil. In fact I have seen cars stored for years with no stabilizer fire right up....my buddy fired up his '74 after 5 years dissassembled with no issues. I have heard of cars firing with gas over 20 years old. In the end it seems in small engines a few drops of Stabil helps as the concentration is strong enough to have effect. On a fuel tank with 18 gal plus it doesnt seem there is enough concentration of stabilizer to effect the gas positive or negative. In my case in IL with my car only being stored 4 mos or so and occasionally started, I have seen no gain with stabilizer I choose to not put chemical in the car that was not put there when built new. There was a time when we thought STP was a must in your engine as well! We learn more as time goes on.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Stored my 19 with no additives with a little less than a full tank. No problem. Did the same with my C5 Z06.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I seem to be on the side of Sta-bil in my tank.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I bought a quart sized StaBil a couple years ago. Opened and used some. The remainder has discolored to dark burgundy. Wondering if this slow usage affects it negatively?
I believe the bottle says that after opening it has a storage life of two years. I go through so much of it that it doesn't matter.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Perhaps it turns into a dinner wine if you leave it sit long enough. Those tannins can add a lot to the aroma & the taste.

rogergcam (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Just because a number of folks stored with a full tank and didn't have a problem doesn't invalidate the tech bulletin. A small percentage of cars do have a fuel sender sensor problem after being stored for lengthy periods with a full tank. It's like someone saying, I run my cold engine to red line immediately after starting it and haven't had a problem, thus the guidance to get the engine up to operating temp before WOT to redline is full of crap.

Of course, you'll regret the hell out of it if you continue to store that way and end up having to drop your fuel tank, which involves extensive disassembly of the rear end of the car. Do what you want, but I'll continue to follow the guidance.

Stabil is not a solution for this problem, but it does keep the fuel stabilized.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-25-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I know there are a lot of "theories" regarding storing the car - and everybody has the idea that works the best for them. I live in VA and we do get inclement weather -- but nothing like the northern parts of Michigan, New York or the New England states. My car has never sat longer than 14 days, but I never let it get below half a tank and always use "Top Tier" 93 octane premium fuel. Even in mid-winter, we do get that occasional "nice day" when it is safe to take the Corvettes out of hibernation.

As someone else said, it would be nice to see GM do a research test on this.

Get notified of new replies

To What happened after storing my C7 with a full tank of gas?

Old 03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

if you read the label, StaBil is good for 2 years after opening, also store in cool space.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just wait until you put something besides 0w40 ESP dexos 2 in the car, THEN you'll hear the engine completely implode and send connecting rods through your legs.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82

Spring is here!
I'll be starting mines up on MLB Opening Day (.ie this) weekend. When it starts, so will my car

Quick Reply: What happened after storing my C7 with a full tank of gas?