Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a business trip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Drive the car and enjoy your trip.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by call911s
Just got back from the Rosemont area on Sunday. The roads are awful up there, and 65 is a minefield as you get north a Lafayette. Save the rims!
Thanks call, that helps me out also. We're heading towards Lafayette in a few months, and the tip about 65 will certainly help me keep a good look out.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:30 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
If I was parking in downtown Chicago, I'd do what I do when driving to a big city and staying in a Hotel- I rent a car! Cheap and no worry about who will hit it when pulling in those small slots in a parking garage etc. I do have a steering wheel lock that is bright yellow I can install. It is very visible from outside the car. Simply locks on the wheel. Have used it for many years on many Vettes. Doesn't stop a pro but like my wheel locks, lets them look for a car without them!
Oh, I drive my car, and I enjoy it, but it's not more enjoyable than a Tahoe in traffic or driving down a straight highway with cruise control on. I take it out to dinner. I take it to the office when I go in late and don't have to worry about traffic. I take it out when the weather is nice and I can pop the roof off. I take it out to the track. I enjoy it. Endless highway driving is not more enjoyable in a C7 than something like a Tahoe.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by village idiot
Oh, I drive my car, and I enjoy it, but it's not more enjoyable than a Tahoe in traffic or driving down a straight highway with cruise control on. I take it out to dinner. I take it to the office when I go in late and don't have to worry about traffic. I take it out when the weather is nice and I can pop the roof off. I take it out to the track. I enjoy it. Endless highway driving is not more enjoyable in a C7 than something like a Tahoe.
Unless its nice out and you can take the top off your vette!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As others mentioned, I-65 is an awful road for both potholes and traffic. The closer you get to Chicago, the worse. Your choice.
Consider taking I-65 north for part of the way, then going due west on a secondary road to reach one of the Interstates in Illinois. They won't be great, but better than I-65 both for condition and traffic. We normally do the switch around Joliet, in the summer.

Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

It would be a shame to bother with a crappy rental car when a fun Corvette is an option for this road trip. Some people here are way overreacting. The Corvette is a great car for the highway. Yes, bad luck (pothole causing damage, car stolen, etc...) can happen on any trip, but it's not all that likely if you pay some attention to the road and to your surroundings. I've lived in Chicagoland my entire life; crime exists, but it's not omnipresent. And Deerfield is a high-end suburb anyway; yours won't be the only Corvette around (or anything close to it.) There are crappy roads everywhere, but there are at least as many crappy roads near Indianapolis (where my parents live and I visit frequently) as there are near Chicago... (Of course I don't drive through the ghetto, but neither will the OP)

Last edited by xwing; 03-29-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:15 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari. Drive it.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

What a coincidence. The thread linked below is from a fellow in our home club who just destroyed two tires on I-65.
A couple of years ago another member ruined a wheel/tire in the same area, during summer.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...wrong-oil.html
The following users liked this post:
Vette Jockey (10-16-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Notreadyforprimetime
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

I really have to wonder about all you guys that are afraid to drive your cars under less than ideal conditions. I bought my 99 C5 and drove it almost 40 miles through a thunderstorm to go home even though the dealer offered to keep it indoors for the night. Drove that car in rain, snow and some gawd awful roads in Ilinois and Missouri. Have drove my C7 from STL to Florida twice through various conditions. It’s a car. It was made to be driven. Not driving it is like having a beautiful wife/girlfriend and not banging het so she stays tight

Unless you are buying a new Z06, you can spend more for a Chevy SUV or pick up truck. Get over it and enjoy the ride
4thC4at60 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Notreadyforprimetime
I really have to wonder about all you guys that are afraid to drive your cars under less than ideal conditions. I bought my 99 C5 and drove it almost 40 miles through a thunderstorm to go home even though the dealer offered to keep it indoors for the night. Drove that car in rain, snow and some gawd awful roads in Ilinois and Missouri. Have drove my C7 from STL to Florida twice through various conditions. It’s a car. It was made to be driven. Not driving it is like having a beautiful wife/girlfriend and not banging het so she stays tight

Unless you are buying a new Z06, you can spend more for a Chevy SUV or pick up truck. Get over it and enjoy the ride
The ride isn't much fun when you are sitting in a motel waiting for your car to be repaired. We've done that twice.
We've had to replace pothole-damaged tires two years in a row, taking the same winter trip from Illinois.
Vette Jockey (10-16-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You're good to go as long as you realize that your car may be targeted for vandalism, break in, or even theft while parked on your business trip. The car may also be damaged from road borne damage of some sort.😨

..My new C7 is my primary business vehicle for a tax write off, for my company. Although I have two other vehicles that can and will continue to be deployed for the same functionality at times, the C7 will play a large part in business tax savings - regardless how many miles it is driven for business.

It's basically, your call. Personally? I wouldn't do it up there.
To say the very least you are a very odd man. .....
Old 03-28-2019, 11:31 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari. Drive it.
But... but... I do own a Ferrari and, unlike many people here, I drive my Ferrari - even in the rain... and I take road trips.... and I park it in motel and restaurant parking lots... I take it to Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart.... just like I do my C7..... they're just cars folks.....

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 03-28-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:54 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
But... but... I do own a Ferrari and, unlike many people here, I drive my Ferrari - even in the rain... and I take road trips.... and I park it in motel and restaurant parking lots... I take it to Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart.... just like I do my C7..... they're just cars folks.....
How many decades old is that thing?! Four or five?!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Every time Ive taken a road trip to anywhere, and have not taken a Vette, I've regretted every freakin' moment of the drive.

It's the best road warrior I've ever had, and I've driven all over the place in other vehicles (Thank you Uncle Sam). Well over a dozen trips across the the US. Two by myself solo, and thousands of miles solo that weren't technically coast to coast. 8000 some odd miles is my personal solo record)

It's not targeted any more than any other car if you don't leave anything visible. They can't steal it, and if you park respectfully, and wisely (under a lamp, and within the white lines), they have no reason to mess with it. Choose your hotels wisely ( as I would assume anyone would regardless of car).

If something was to happen to your car, then, that's what insurance is for. Just like any other car.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:39 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
How many decades old is that thing?! Four or five?!
What does age have to do with anything?

How far from home have you driven?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:44 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Every time Ive taken a road trip to anywhere, and have not taken a Vette, I've regretted every freakin' moment of the drive.

It's the best road warrior I've ever had, and I've driven all over the place in other vehicles (Thank you Uncle Sam). Well over a dozen trips across the the US. Two by myself solo, and thousands of miles solo that weren't technically coast to coast. 8000 some odd miles is my personal solo record)

It's not targeted any more than any other car if you don't leave anything visible. They can't steal it, and if you park respectfully, and wisely (under a lamp, and within the white lines), they have no reason to mess with it. Choose your hotels wisely ( as I would assume anyone would regardless of car).

If something was to happen to your car, then, that's what insurance is for. Just like any other car.
Assuming nothing will befall a new Corvette on the road trip Up to chuckhole Chicago is foolhardy. A new Corvette is a big target as I
outlined above. Parking under a lamp means nothing. In fact it will guarantee attraction of everyone to it. You don't sound like you've traveled overnight much?? I've spent 40 weeks a year on the road for decades. I'm certain that you have never done that. If it's a GS/Z06, it's got on going wheel bending problems anyway. Sitting in a motel waiting on wheels etc. isn't a great way to spend time on the road. The ancient Ferrari hauling bags of cement? Yeah, that's a great idea.too.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

^^^

Joe I disagree that C7's are highly targeted. Thieves target Accords, Camrys, Altimas, etc. This is where the parts money is. Not corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Have a business trip...

Old 10-16-2022, 02:40 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

Sounds to me one with a Corvette should stay the hell out of Chicago... Sounds awful there. They don't have cops and Hwy Fixit Departments?... Go west young man where one may live safe.
Rabbi (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 07:19 PM
Beast
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree with some of the above posts. Drive it and enjoy it. I’m in the western burbs of Chicago. Deerfield is a great area. Your not stopping in Chicago. Just drive through it. Or go around Chicago. Take the 294 expressway.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:45 PM
ZO6LIFE
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 338 Posts

Resurrection from the dead

Quick Reply: Have a business trip...