Sponsored by:

Dash cam install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Default Dash cam install

Anyone install a Dash cam? How difficult is it? Considering a Black Vue 620 dual setup.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

saleen,
Member 'Foosh' had an Owl Cam installed. He sounded extremely pleased with its performance too!

It's got the capability of alerting you on your Smartphone of any activity near your car. It also has the Nannie capability of snooping and recording any service work done to your prized C7.

..Get with 'Foosh' before making any moves on any surveillance system!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-25-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
saleen,
Member 'Foosh' had an Owl Cam installed. He sounded extremely pleased with its performance too!

It's got the capability of alerting you on your Smartphone of any activity near your car. It also has the Nannie capability 9th snooping get on any service work done to your prized C7.

..Get with 'Foosh' before making any moves on another surveillance system!

I was looking at those as well. Look pretty simple and great for surveillance. However the Black Vue 2 channel look great for video of both front and rear of car at all times. Both driving and parked. Also look pretty small and can be hardwired.

Last edited by saleen556; 03-25-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

It was very easy for me. I installed a front camera using a Blendmount Wire Tap to get power from the electronics in the rear view mirror (there's power there even if you don't have the auto-dimming feature). I didn't install a rear camera so I can't speak to that.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:19 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Black box my car, when you order call him and request a longer power cord to get to the rear fuse panel.. He added 10 feet for free
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I installed the BlackVue 750S-2CH front/rear setup and it works great. Very low profile with the front camera in front of the RV mirror (stays out of the way of my mirror-mounted V1) and the rear attached to the top-center of the rear hatch window. You can view the image real time on your smart phone if you use the WiFi and can check the car at any time over the cloud. It has enhanced night vision with 60fps front and 30fps rear. With Power Magic Pro connected, you can have the camera monitor the car when parked.

I have the system powered from my center console. The rear camera cable runs along the windshield header, down the A-pillar, along the rocker, up the B pillar to the rear camera.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patches
I installed the BlackVue 750S-2CH front/rear setup and it works great. Very low profile with the front camera in front of the RV mirror (stays out of the way of my mirror-mounted V1) and the rear attached to the top-center of the rear hatch window. You can view the image real time on your smart phone if you use the WiFi and can check the car at any time over the cloud. It has enhanced night vision with 60fps front and 30fps rear. With Power Magic Pro connected, you can have the camera monitor the car when parked.

I have the system powered from my center console. The rear camera cable runs along the windshield header, down the A-pillar, along the rocker, up the B pillar to the rear camera.
Exactly info I’m looking for. How did wiring go across the roof and down B pillar? How did you run wire from rear camera to roof to get to pillar? I already have switched power run from rear fuse box for my R3. I can easily swap the add a fuse to a power source that’s constant though if needed. I’ll be doing a mirror tap for the new R7 anyway. Seems like a good time to just do it all.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I installed the Blackvue 2CH (plus the battery backup) during my interior sound-proofing, console upgrade (to match the CF dash) and hard-wiring my V1.

To make the make the entire project easier, I gutted the entire interior, front to back. Taking that route made everything a lot easier. The most difficult part was trying to get the cable to the second camera (rear) through the roof pillar; GM should have allowed just another mm or two in that channel.

The front camera was installed between the A pillar and PDR. I ran a power cable from the rear battery pack up front through the A-Pillar trim cover, along with the cable to the rear camera, and then across the windshield trim. I powered the V1 from behind the driver A-Pillar and across the windshield trim cover. Everything works great. The Blackvue has built-in lane departure! The first couple-a days after the initial install, I would hear this chime that drover me nuts because I thought I damaged something during the reinstall of everything I tore out. Turns out it was the lane departure warning. And before one things I drive all over the road, the camera has no idea when I use my turn signals to indicate my intentions.

I would have no difficulty in recommending the Blackvue.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I was thinking the hardest part would be running cable from rear camera across the roof and down B pillar. I already have a wire from fuse 37 switched ran up front. I can easily do the one for power all the time from fuse 22. Does the battery pack work with the power magic box?
The following users liked this post:
Skatduder (07-10-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 AM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGA
I installed the Blackvue 2CH (plus the battery backup) during my interior sound-proofing, console upgrade (to match the CF dash) and hard-wiring my V1.
I would have no difficulty in recommending the Blackvue.
I have two Blackvue 2CH systems, one in my 4Runner (DR900), and one in my Miata (DR650). They're great. I hardwired them using the power magic pro box, and that works well also. I plan to install on in my new Corvette Vert as well (will probably upgrade the 650 to a 900 for that). Has anyone done this on a vert? Until I get my hands on mine (just ordered) I can only speculate about the installation. Interested in any info on wiring and placement of the rear facing camera. I'm thinking I may need to consider a wind blocker just to have a mounting point for the camera...I am also a V1 guy, and plan to go the mirror tap/blendmount route for that.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I installed a Blackview 900 2 channel last year. There are several threads here on that so search it your friend.

For the rear camera mount, I used the method another forum member posted where he placed two small magnets under the headliner on the rear to hold the rear camera up. Nothing permanent, so if you ever decide to remove or replace the setup, no damage to your headliner. It works out nice.

The other thing is that Blendmount offers a nice mount for the front camera for the Blackview if you do not have a radar detector installed. Very professional setup if you can use it.

I installed the Neo battery which is very expensive. They now have a newer version that lets you daisy chain multiple units for more parked recording time. But it is so expensive I cannot see spending the $ for multiples.

The Blackview is rather expensive and it only has two wifi networks so no subscription fees like the Owl but no access or alerts if your car is parked somewhere where you don't have wifi.

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-28-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I do not know about the Power Magic Box, so I cannot comment. I also just remembered something about eh battery backup to for the Blackvue. I installed a backup to the included battery supply; in other words a backup battery to the backup/included battery. The additional battery provides up to 24 hours additional power to the camera. Also, if I recall correctly, the backup battery is connected to #37.

Originally Posted by saleen556
Thanks. I was thinking the hardest part would be running cable from rear camera across the roof and down B pillar. I already have a wire from fuse 37 switched ran up front. I can easily do the one for power all the time from fuse 22. Does the battery pack work with the power magic box?
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I know this is not exactly answering your question, but all the upgrades I made to my Z06 coupe had originally been planed for my Z06 vert until that was totaled. I had planned the same approach with the install; i.e. gut the car and start from there.

Originally Posted by naylor99
I have two Blackvue 2CH systems, one in my 4Runner (DR900), and one in my Miata (DR650). They're great. I hardwired them using the power magic pro box, and that works well also. I plan to install on in my new Corvette Vert as well (will probably upgrade the 650 to a 900 for that). Has anyone done this on a vert? Until I get my hands on mine (just ordered) I can only speculate about the installation. Interested in any info on wiring and placement of the rear facing camera. I'm thinking I may need to consider a wind blocker just to have a mounting point for the camera...I am also a V1 guy, and plan to go the mirror tap/blendmount route for that.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It just dawned on me that some may question why I powered my V1 by running a power cord behind the driver A-pill trim instead of getting power from the mirror area.

I did this so I could add additional pieces of HW from Valentine (remote control, brown-out preventers, etc..) so the power must be run the way I did it. Here is how I mounted the V1; another forum member did it in his C7 and I liked it.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

For the rear camera mount, I used the method another forum member posted where he placed two small magnets under the headliner on the rear to hold the rear camera up. Nothing permanent, so if you ever decide to remove or replace the setup, no damage to your headliner. It works out nice.

I really like this idea. What size of magnets are people using? Also what’s the easiest way to run the wire from the rear camera down the B pillar to get down to the door sill? I assume everything on the passenger side comes off just like drivers side.

I ran power from the fuse box up the drivers side A pillar and up by the mirror previously for my detector. I plan on using the power for the cameras. I’ll just do a mirror tap for my detector at the same time.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:03 PM
StorminNorm
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
It was very easy for me. I installed a front camera using a Blendmount Wire Tap to get power from the electronics in the rear view mirror (there's power there even if you don't have the auto-dimming feature). I didn't install a rear camera so I can't speak to that.

You mind explaining which wire went to which color on the mirror? I have any V1 powered via mirror now.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cam install

Quick Reply: Dash cam install