Sponsored by:

Oil change with Dry Sump

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
If torque is that important then remember the crows foot requires an offset calculation to get proper torque.
Here is a video that will help you understand how to overcome the offset issue when using a crowfoot with a torque wrench.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...9&action=click
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

All I know is that I've probably changed oil and filters 100 times on various vehicles over the years without using a torque wrench and have never had as much as a drop of leakage from a drain plug or a filter or have never had any problem removing them so I'm not about to start torquing them now..

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
…Tightening by "feel" is not really a good idea for most DIY mechanics. I have never really understood why so many people on auto forums have a problem with doing automotive mechanical work correctly and precisely.
A good example of over-tightening is the oil filter. However never used a torque wrench for a filter but since I had it out tried on my first oil change using what the 2014 owner’s manual said to use, 24 ft-lbs as I recall. I have a wrench that fits the bottom of the filter with a center location for the wrench so the reading is accurate. As I tightened it “felt” far to tight before I reached the specified torque - significantly from it! I loosened the filter and used what most filters say about tightening, turn ~3/4 from the rubber seal touching. In fact my 2017 owner's manual no longer lists a torque value it says turn ~3/4 from the rubber seal touching.

The drain plugs also have a rubber seal and IMO “feel “ is a good way to tighten it! I use a two step tightening process with a torque wrench for my wheels. I tightened the head bolts, on the 502 cid engine I assembled for my Street Rod etc. But for some bolts “feel” is fine if you have some experiance.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-18-2019 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,606 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Here is a video that will help you understand how to overcome the offset issue when using a crowfoot with a torque wrench.

I don't want or need to understand it, as we've said use your torque if you like just stop trying to convince everyone it's needed for oil plugs and oil filters. I've use a torque wrench plenty of times for torquing heads and bearings, but for oil drain plugs and oil filters.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,606 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Yep I tried to do it right but it just didn’t work out. Experience sometimes teaches you things.
Yep, like they say pain and anguish are the best teachers.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:58 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a set of crow's feet wrenches and this looks like my cue, as my free oil changes are up and I'll be DIY starting with my next change about next January. Don't need them often but when you do it may be the only option that'll work. If would appear a flare-nut variety would be preferable for this application and all others involving a typical hex bolt or nut, and don't see any situation where the square type would work better. Any advice on this?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Originally Posted by iclick
I've been looking for an excuse to buy a set of crow's feet wrenches and this looks like my cue, as my free oil changes are up and I'll be DIY starting with my next change about next January. Don't need them often but when you do it may be the only option that'll work. If would appear a flare-nut variety would be preferable for this application and all others involving a typical hex bolt or nut, and don't see any situation where the square type would work better. Any advice on this?
Agree. If you are concerned about rounding off or damaging the bolts or nuts, the flare nut variety is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

A
Originally Posted by iclick
You ask for advice. Kevin Jones in post #24 shows a wrench to buy or consider the simple 6 sided box wrench I suggested.

However, I have often bought a wrench set for one specific need because I can justify it in my mind! Any rational to buy a wrench- like my wife and shoes! However I tried my flare nut 15 mm wrench and it was rounding the OEM drain plug hex as was my 12 point 15 mm box wrench. In fairness, most of my wrenches are Craftsman, but that metric flare nut set were cheap. If you’re going to buy the set, get quality.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-18-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I don't want or need to understand it, as we've said use your torque if you like just stop trying to convince everyone it's needed for oil plugs and oil filters. I've use a torque wrench plenty of times for torquing heads and bearings, but for oil drain plugs and oil filters.
I am really surprised by this response. I am sorry if I offended you. Zjoe6 brought up a valid point (the offset issue) and I provided a solution which was also mentioned by RonC. I very much enjoy detailed technical discussions on automotive issues. I am certainly not trying to convince anyone of anything. People can take in all the information everyone provides and then make whatever choice that suits them. I welcome all inputs and try to understand everyone's point of view.

Last edited by ShadowGray19; 04-18-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
You ask for advice. Kevin Jones in post #24 shows a wrench to buy or consider the simple 6 sided box wrench I suggested.
I have a set of those as well as the flex-head variety, but you can't use a torque wrench with them. I've never used a TQ wrench on a drain plug before but in the past they always screwed into steel threads which isn't so critical. When I had motorcycles almost all bolts screwed into aluminum and I always torqued them. I think doing that as a rule is a good idea.

Agree. If you are concerned about rounding off or damaging the bolts or nuts, the flare nut variety is the way to go.
I can see how a flare-nut wrench might not be as robust as a the conventional open-end type, but I can't see using them for anything requiring high enough TQ values to break them.

Last edited by iclick; 04-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.
ShadowGray19 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,422 Posts

But I already do understand it. But thanks anyway. If you need any help with it let me know.
ShadowGray19 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Thanks guys for the info
NSF
Hey NSF time for you to get a C7 lol lol

Dave
Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Just adding to this as I just went through this yesterday.

Regarding the size drain plug:
-Tried a 15mm flare wrench (harbor freight, lulz), didn't work, started rounding off
-Tried a 15mm box wrench (Husky), 12point, didn't work, wanted to round
Said screw it and put my 6point socket on with a short extender, all 3/8" drive. Threw a cheater bar (handle from jack) on it and socked it off. I put the socket on first, then the extension. The extender was small enough versus the socket to snake under the oil cooler (it may have put an ever so slight bend on it, but nothing to worry about). A wobbly joint extender probably would have come in clutch, but I didn't feel like looking for it lol.

If it matters to anyone, I'm using 5w-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I have the oil cap for 0w-40 to swap on, but won't until the oil becomes reasonably priced. Cheapest I found was $50 for 6qts. Pretty pricey versus $23 for 5+qts jugs at wallyworld… And I'm sure the dealers aren't stocking/filling with 0w-40. They'd have to be pretty high on Vette servicing volume to stock it and even then there's no way of knowing what's coming out the tank. Just my thoughts.

Also wrecker3, good call on the funnel. Looks nice, wish I saw it a day earlier as it was delivered the day after I did the change.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:14 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 384 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
Just adding to this as I just went through this yesterday.

Regarding the size drain plug:
-Tried a 15mm flare wrench (harbor freight, lulz), didn't work, started rounding off
-Tried a 15mm box wrench (Husky), 12point, didn't work, wanted to round
Said screw it and put my 6point socket on with a short extender, all 3/8" drive. Threw a cheater bar (handle from jack) on it and socked it off. I put the socket on first, then the extension. The extender was small enough versus the socket to snake under the oil cooler (it may have put an ever so slight bend on it, but nothing to worry about). A wobbly joint extender probably would have come in clutch, but I didn't feel like looking for it lol.

If it matters to anyone, I'm using 5w-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I have the oil cap for 0w-40 to swap on, but won't until the oil becomes reasonably priced. Cheapest I found was $50 for 6qts. Pretty pricey versus $23 for 5+qts jugs at wallyworld… And I'm sure the dealers aren't stocking/filling with 0w-40. They'd have to be pretty high on Vette servicing volume to stock it and even then there's no way of knowing what's coming out the tank. Just my thoughts.

Also wrecker3, good call on the funnel. Looks nice, wish I saw it a day earlier as it was delivered the day after I did the change.
Since your concerned about cost, why not use Supertec oil, 5w 30 full synthetic, it meets all MFR requirements and about $15.00 for 5 qts.. Been using it for years on all my Vette's and other cars.

Last edited by V Vette; 04-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:08 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Be careful with any socket or wrench set from HF. They have a lot of great stuff like jacks, punches, sanders, etc. But every socket I have bought from them has not fit right and started rounding nuts and bolts. This would be one thing in life that is just worth spending twice as much and get verified, well proved tools. Screw driver, get at walmart. Dremel tool, get at HF....Socket set, get a craftsman (or the like)
V Vette (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM
TheSnotRocket
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys that are ordering that funnel for $20.. quit it.

It should be around $14.49....

https://graph.keepa.com/pricehistory...sin=B0771KVLF3
Old 04-22-2019, 05:45 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSnotRocket

Where's it at for that price?

Last edited by franknbeans; 04-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM
TheSnotRocket
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by franknbeans
Where's it at for that price?
At Amazon. If you don't NEED it right this second, setup a price alert on camelcamelcamel.com or keepa.com and buy it when it drops back down to it's normal price.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil change with Dry Sump

Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
I had no problem with crows foot and torque wrench. Just set the crows foot at right angle to the torque wrench.
Same here, no problems. Being an engineer, I figure that Chevy must specify a torque setting for a reason. We never specified torque settings unless there is a good reason because it is a PIA for us. It only takes seconds more to torque the fastener.
ShadowGray19 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

If torque is that important then remember the crows foot requires an offset calculation to get proper torque. I didn't like that it's open on most of the one side of the hex. I'd rather use a nice fitting hex ratchet wrench. Just my preference. Do as you wish.
If you position the crows foot at an angle the offset is less than an inch so there is no significant difference. I just reduce the torque by 1 inch-lb even though it isn't necessary. Specified torque values always have a tolerance zone anyway..
Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSnotRocket

I ended up getting my on eBay for $12.99

Quick Reply: Oil change with Dry Sump