Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Z51 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
I have 2 kids, 13 and 10. But I also have a crew cab and the wife's SUV for family duty. The back seat delete would be the first mod to the Camaro lol.

I don't think it applies to used vehicles? Monday will make 2 months total time spent at the dealer.
Sounds like you need a used Z06. The more HP you want and already comes with no back seat!
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:42 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Sounds like you need a used Z06. The more HP you want and already comes with no back seat!
Agreed and the Camaro is about a foot longer, it is heavier and you can barely see out it.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:59 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

There was a used 2015 z06 3lz with under 30k miles in my area for 56 or 57k . It sat there for months I actually test drove it and there was not a thing wrong with it. Other than the mileage if you consider that something wrong.

My point is they are out there ....if buying used is OK with you this is probably the way to go.
LuisZ51 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:26 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Is waiting a year for the C8 an option?

I am definitely a strong Corvette over Camaro guy, but I'd definitely take a ZL1 over a Z51 any day of the week and it's not even close.
Also, FWIW, I think a ZL1 will depreciate a lot slower than a base Corvette
LuisZ51 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
But if what he's after is that supercharged power (either a ZL1 or the blower he already bought for the C7), buying a GS means he's spending the bucks and not getting the same power.
Good point. 650 horsepower is hard to pass up. Being a bigger guy, the additional room in the Camaro makes it tempting as well.
LuisZ51 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Is waiting a year for the C8 an option?

I am definitely a strong Corvette over Camaro guy, but I'd definitely take a ZL1 over a Z51 any day of the week and it's not even close.
Also, FWIW, I think a ZL1 will depreciate a lot slower than a base Corvette
The C8 won't be an option for me for a few years at least.
That was my thinking as well that it would depreciate slower.
Originally Posted by Billy346
Good point. 650 horsepower is hard to pass up. Being a bigger guy, the additional room in the Camaro makes it tempting as well.
I'm 6' 1" 250
Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Empire55
Ehh i see your point, but to most non car people, they see a Zl1 and don't really register the difference between that and their friend's sister's 4 banger turbo or v6 camaro. Most non car people acknowledge the looks of the c7 since it is unique, even if they dont know what it actually is technically.
I own the previous generation of each, so it doesn't really help the OP at all (C6 Z51 and 5th Gen Zl1) but I can say without a doubt from actual car people, I get way more comments and questions about the Zl1. I don't buy my cars based upon what other people think, but if I was after conversations with people in the know, Zl1 it is. From non-car people, probably more comments on the Corvette, but it's closer than you think.

Really depends upon what attracts a person, - the raw-power, or the handling (and "niceness" of the lighter car.
LuisZ51 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I own the previous generation of each, so it doesn't really help the OP at all (C6 Z51 and 5th Gen Zl1) but I can say without a doubt from actual car people, I get way more comments and questions about the Zl1. I don't buy my cars based upon what other people think, but if I was after conversations with people in the know, Zl1 it is. From non-car people, probably more comments on the Corvette, but it's closer than you think.

Really depends upon what attracts a person, - the raw-power, or the handling (and "niceness" of the lighter car.
That is the key. The OP needs to decide what he appreciates more. I went through a similar decision about 9 months ago when I was deciding between a ZL1 and C7 GS Vert both manuals, both right about same price at around $65k.

Appearance - subjective, I like them both but I like the GS look better. I like the GS wheels better and the C7 has some gills on the sides where the ZL1 looks kind of plain from the side. The rear end of the GS with the wide body looks much more aggressive to me. The ZL1, while it has the side skirts and best front fascia ever, it will still be mistaken as just another Camaro to the untrained eye.

Transmission - If I was going with an auto I would have chosen the ZL1 since the A10 is the better auto transmission by far. However, with the manual I think the M7 in the C7 is better than the M6 in the ZL1. The main reason is gearing. 1st gear in the ZL1 M6 is crazy tall (62mph) and it bogs if you try to launch aggressively. Supposedly they tuned in torque management to protect the rear end from aggressive launching. Furthermore, the lower gearing in the Z51/GS is more fun to me on the street since you have more opportunity to wind out a gear before hitting triple digits. (~71mph at the top of 2nd and ~ 100mph at the top of 3rd)

Convertible - I wanted a vert because the open top experience in a car like this is simply awesome. I like the vert top in the C7 better, no quarter windows, it is still look very good with the top up. With the ZL1 when the convertible top is up it takes away from the reverse mohawk roof lines, which make it looks so good.

Power - The ZL1 is the faster car in a straight line, especially with the A10 but keep in mind the extra 400lbs. If you look up the numbers you will see the ZL1 is about .2 sec quicker to 60mph and about .5 sec at the end of the 1/4 mile. So, yes it is quicker but some report that it doesn't necessarily feel faster from a seat of the pants perspective. I think the tall gearing and extra weight negate some of the power advantage. I think I read if you factor in the weight difference the ZL1 really only has 85 more hp than the Z51/GS.

Handling - while the ZL1 handles nicely, the GS handles better. The C7s just feel more special when driving them, more sports car less muscle car. If we look at lap times of the GS and ZL1 both put down a 1:26:28 vs. 1.26:16 at Willow Springs. So even with the GS being down 190hp and 185lb ft of torque it still laps the same time.

It is a tough choice. Either way you will be having fun. Best of luck.

Last edited by falcon5619; 04-18-2019 at 07:47 PM.
z28lt1 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Do what i did when making the decision ...how would i feel..regardless of the model of non vette that I purchased and one pulled up next to you at a long stop light ? I got out of corvettes twice 16 Gen 6 Camaro SS and a Porsche Macan Turbo...each time I could not stand the feeling ..threw all my vette mags out..purposefully in the kitchen trash and started a monumental pout....and I can do pout . I have the most amazing wife ever and each time, regardless of her happiness with what I had as my car...she always said whatever makes YOU happy....and brother she loved that Porsche !!
This took the mechanics of the car off the plate and made me think about the raw aspect of emotions ...trust me it is not a fun feeling driving a car when all you can do Is think about how much you miss what you really want !!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Empire55
Ehh i see your point, but to most non car people, they see a Zl1 and don't really register the difference between that and their friend's sister's 4 banger turbo or v6 camaro. Most non car people acknowledge the looks of the c7 since it is unique, even if they dont know what it actually is technically.
Yeah, but I stopped caring what other people think of my cars a while ago and I am 36 years old. Hell, even a de-badged ZL1 would be kind of fun to drive around town.

If I am dropping $60k+ on a car, I am getting what I want.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not familiar with your prior problems but if it was me I'd try one more time at a different dealer with more C7 repair experience. If you can get some enjoyable time in the Corvette your perspective might change.
LuisZ51 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

I recently sold my 2017 ZL1 to buy my 2018 Z06. So I'm familiar with the characteristics other's have identified with both.

What I liked about the Zl1:
- The 10 spd auto isn't just two more gears than the A8. It performs better in so many ways. Everything from the way it responds to driver inputs to it's "intuitive" ability to sense what gear you want.
- The ZL1 doesn't have overheating issues, TC shudder issues, torque tube issues, warble issues... it's one of the most problem-free performance cars I've had.
- The driver/computer interphase is more sophisticated (in my view). Everything from a line-lock, to being able to change interior lighting to match performance driving mode.
- It's pretty rare; when I went to car shows (people who know cars) my ZL1 got a LOT of attention. A huge number of Corvettes at car shows, not many (if any) ZL1's.
- The instructors at Spring Mountain had NO problems outrunning the crap out of me! They were in a ZL1, me in a Z06. That's not a true test as they could probably beat me in a Prius.... however, it's a point that the different acceleration/handling is minimal in nature and can really only be measured with a timer!

- It cost $30,000 less than my Z06

What I like about the Z06
- I think the Z06 is far prettier (sleeker).
- The Z06 handles better
- I don't have young children, so the Z06 has just as much "usable" space for me as the ZL1. The backseat of the ZL1 is barely fit for a 3 year old.
- I can see better out of the Corvette, it "feels" like I"m not as cramped when driving.
- I'm old; So I'm more comfortable with the demographics of the typical Corvette owners vs the Camaro owners

Those are just a few observations (there are quite a few more).

I think the real point is just because I have value for these particular pro's-con's, doesn't mean you (or anyone else) will.

Good luck!

Last edited by thompstl1; 04-19-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FunDriver
I'm not familiar with your prior problems but if it was me I'd try one more time at a different dealer with more C7 repair experience. If you can get some enjoyable time in the Corvette your perspective might change.
I definitely agree with you. The problem is I am very limited to what dealers are available to me in my area. If I could at least just get the clutch issue resolved I could see myself keeping this car.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Imo 2 different worlds.

The grass isn't always greener friend.

Make a pro con list of your scenario. Helps to clarify the situation a bit.

Also, what brought you to purchase a vette? For me it was the supercar look and feel, the low roof line the 2 seater layout. The performance of the c7 is a bonus to me, but 99% of the time I sit in the car doing the speed limit or less and just enjoy the glove fit cockpit. Makes me feel like I'm in something special.

With the Camaro it is mostly about the speed and that's it. You sit way higher, it's much heavier and you feel it. Go drive one.

It's nice looking, but it gets boring quickly. Nobody confuses a vette with a 25k rental car in the way even the nicest Camaro is. And that I just can't get past. And don't get me wrong that 25k base Camaro is a deal lol.

I think you'd come back to a verre if you leave it. Tough cars to get over once you've had one for a while.

Remember, just like a new woman, new and different is great but in the end it comes back to getting bored with what you have v what you don't and think you need to be happy. The wise ones stay the course and the toys to prove it hahaha.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Camaro has terrible, terrible visibility for the driver. Did I say it has just terrible visibility? Just terrible. GM really screwed the pooch with that, IMO.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

The contestants
And yes, that is the actual Camaro im considering.

Last edited by LuisZ51; 04-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

I still say go for a GS. If you need more power add a blower.

With the Vette, you are paying for the better chassis and more overall adjustability. (And lighter weight). Start with the better chassis and build out from there.

I say this because I have a Camaro and the Corvette does everything that the Camaro does, only better. (Much better)

Last edited by Billy346; 04-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 vs ZL1

Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billy346
I still say go for a GS. If you need more power add a blower.

With the Vette, you are paying for the better chassis and more overall adjustability. (And lighter weight). Start with the better chassis and build out from there.

I say this because I have a Camaro and the Corvette does everything that the Camaro does, only better. (Much better)
I have no interest in a grand sport though. it's a big price difference for stuff I don't need in a weekend car and then still have to add the blower.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
The contestants
And yes, that is the actual Camaro im considering.

The C7 looks like a supercar and the ZL1 looks like a souped up Camaro. 9/10 folks are going to say the Corvette looks better. However, the ZL1 has the LT4. That is why I asked, if the Camaro didn't have the LT4 would you even consider it? The point is, eventually you will get used to the extra power. The new C8 is coming out and they will all have more power, the Camaro even if it continues for a 7th Gen will get some of the "power hand me downs" from the C8. Just don't let the endless chase of horsepower blind you from everything else you probably like better about the Corvette.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by falcon5619
The C7 looks like a supercar and the ZL1 looks like a souped up Camaro. 9/10 folks are going to say the Corvette looks better. However, the ZL1 has the LT4. That is why I asked, if the Camaro didn't have the LT4 would you even consider it? The point is, eventually you will get used to the extra power. The new C8 is coming out and they will all have more power, the Camaro even if it continues for a 7th Gen will get some of the "power hand me downs" from the C8. Just don't let the endless chase of horsepower blind you from everything else you probably like better about the Corvette.

Quick Reply: Z51 vs ZL1