New C7, Z51 or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Ryand1979
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New C7, Z51 or no?

Hi Guys,

I’m sure peoples opinions will be all over the place on this, but I figured I’d ask anyways. I’ve owned a couple of C3 Corvette’s but I really like the C7 and my dream has always been to buy one brand new Corvette off the showroom floor in my lifetime. I’m not a big fan of the new mid engine, so I guess Chevy is going to force my hand!

So that brings me to my question. I love high-performance Corvettes, but I have no intention of ever taking this car to a track or anything like that. It will solely be driven on the street on nights and weekends, and taking on a few long distance highway trips on vacations and such. So, do I buy the Z51 performance package or not? I feel like the base car would have more than enough handling for me, but I do like the coolers, the bigger brakes, and of course the closer gear ratios. The car will definitely be a seven speed manual. But for what I’m doing with it, will it make any noticeable “seat of the pants” difference? My other problem is finding a 1LTZ51 package seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack ever since they came out with the grand sport. Of course the other thing is price, I’ve been able to find several of the exact car I’m looking for for great affordable prices, but not with Z51 package. If money was no object I would buy a 2LT Z51 and just order it with the exact options I’d want. But, my guess is even with the discounts they’re giving now I’d still probably have trouble getting it for less than 60k, when I can find the base car without the Z51 right now in the mid to upper 40s.

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

Are you opposed to buying used? If not - you can have your cake and eat it too. Besides the major benefit of saving tens of thousands of dollars vs paying new car prices, you can then afford a Z51 with a 3LT package...(cake and eat it).

I bought my 2014 Z51 3LT M7 for just a little over 40% off original sticker... It was in Show condition and was the EXACT same car someone paid $70k for...

Here is what my C7 looked like - and no one ever knew if I bought it new or used... Its real simple - buy new and you have minimal options when it comes to a budget - buy used and your options open so much wider...

The following 2 users liked this post by Mayor111:
Rapid Fred (04-17-2019), Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryand1979
Hi Guys,

I’m sure peoples opinions will be all over the place on this, but I figured I’d ask anyways. I’ve owned a couple of C3 Corvette’s but I really like the C7 and my dream has always been to buy one brand new Corvette off the showroom floor in my lifetime. I’m not a big fan of the new mid engine, so I guess Chevy is going to force my hand!

So that brings me to my question. I love high-performance Corvettes, but I have no intention of ever taking this car to a track or anything like that. It will solely be driven on the street on nights and weekends, and taking on a few long distance highway trips on vacations and such. So, do I buy the Z51 performance package or not? I feel like the base car would have more than enough handling for me, but I do like the coolers, the bigger brakes, and of course the closer gear ratios. The car will definitely be a seven speed manual. But for what I’m doing with it, will it make any noticeable “seat of the pants” difference? My other problem is finding a 1LTZ51 package seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack ever since they came out with the grand sport. Of course the other thing is price, I’ve been able to find several of the exact car I’m looking for for great affordable prices, but not with Z51 package. If money was no object I would buy a 2LT Z51 and just order it with the exact options I’d want. But, my guess is even with the discounts they’re giving now I’d still probably have trouble getting it for less than 60k, when I can find the base car without the Z51 right now in the mid to upper 40s.

Thanks for any and all input!
You can buy a new Grand Sport which has all the features of the Z51 plus mag ride in the sleek and commanding wide body design. If you plan on financing and you have good credit it's worth comparing rates for a used card vs buying new at Kerbeck's 2.89% rate. You may be surprised that the payment isn't much more for new vs used. Plenty of cars below $60k: https://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inv...&action=filter

Last edited by direct007; 04-17-2019 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,470 Likes on 741 Posts

A Z-51 car will get you the dusty brake pads !!!!
Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Based off what you said I think you wouldn’t mind a non Z51. The biggest reason I would want a Z51 over the base is simply the look. I like the more aggressive look of the Z51, and obviously the higher models like the GS/Z06.
Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 PM
Ryand1979
Cruising

Thanks for the input so far guys. I’m not opposed to used, but if I buy used that question is always in the back of my head of “what did someone do this before I owned it?”. For example, there’s a guy in my town that has a C7 that he drives 365 days a year, snow, rain, salt, pot hole season, you name it. That’s the car I don’t want to buy used without knowing where it’s been before.

As for the grand sport, although I love the body style, I don’t need the magnetic ride or all the other things that come with it. Just more maintenance expenses down the road for performance that I would never use the full potential of. I wish they used the grand sport/Z06 body style as the standard and didn’t even make the regular coupe.

Keep the opinions coming! 😂
Old 04-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Rickybobby571
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had both, I never drove mine on a track or intend to. I owned both and enjoy the ride better on the non Z51. I didn't buy it with intentions to race or sell. My vote is non Z51 (my wife wouldn't ride in my Z51 as it irritated her back). Drove my C7 on a 1100. mile trip when I bought it and enjoyed it. Planning a 1300 mile trip next month. I would have never considered a long trip in the Z51. Have fun with your new ride whatever you get.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rickybobby571:
Blue Curvette (04-17-2019), Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, I can completely identify with your dilemma because I was in a very similar situation 3 years ago. I had a budget to meet, I wanted Z51, one difference, I wanted 2LT. How could I meet my budget, and still buy what I wanted. Long story short, I bought a certified, 2 year old C7, M7, 2LT, Z51 with mag ride and Nav. I found a very low mileage car, (4200 miles) and with the additiona 1year,l B2B warranty added to the remainder of the original warranty, there wasn't much difference between a new C7 and the car I bought. The dealer I bought it from, Mike Furman at Criswell, even set the car up in the delivery location at the dealership where the new C7s are delivered.
I understand wanting to buy a new C7, but trust me, it's way more important to buy what you want because once you drive off the lot, it's a used car but those options stay with you for the life of the car. In my opinion, open up your search to include certified cars that meet your criteria.
Also, I think you should give Mike Furman at Criswell a call. It doesn't matter if you live near Criswell or not. He sets up deals with folks as far away as California (he had one going on in California while I was picking up my car). He can help you reach your goal.
I have Zero regrets for not buying new. But I would have a lot of regrets if I didn't get every option I wanted.
Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Ryand1979
Cruising

Originally Posted by Rickybobby571
I have had both, I never drove mine on a track or intend to. I owned both and enjoy the ride better on the non Z51. I didn't buy it with intentions to race or sell. My vote is non Z51 (my wife wouldn't ride in my Z51 as it irritated her back). Drove my C7 on a 1100. mile trip when I bought it and enjoyed it. Planning a 1300 mile trip next month. I would have never considered a long trip in the Z51. Have fun with your new ride whatever you get.

Thanks! This is the type of opinion that I was looking for, someone who has driven both. I own a landscaping company, so I’m no stranger to harsh riding vehicles, but since I drive those all week long and for my personal truck, it’s not really what I’m looking to do on a nice Sunday cruise in my Corvette!

Did you notice any big difference performance wise between the two in terms of acceleration or anything? I’m guessing the 1 or 2/10 of a second in 0-60 is probably not even noticeable.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Check out PenFed. They have a payment saver loan. I was originally going to get a new Stingray with Z51 package. I was easily able to afford a Z06 because of the loan. You may find you can afford a new car just the way you want at a low interest rate.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

My first Vette was a base 2007. My second was a 2016 z51. None of the stuff that comes on the z51 will really help you if you drive it normal (extra cooling is not needed).

However, my one must have is the NPP exhaust. My 2007 did not have it and it sounded like a regular passenger car. I did not want to modify it from stock, so...

Also, the Z51 will have the dry sump oil system. Makes oil changes a bit harder and more expensive (due to 9.5 qts of oil needed). Again, not needed unless you take some long, sweeping high G turns.

And finally, the Z51 gets the more complex e-diff.

Having said all that, I loved my 2016 Z51 3LT. The only missing option was the magnetic ride.

I would be careful on the GS due to the cracking wheel issues.

Good luck!

Last edited by thirtythird; 04-17-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 PM
Rickybobby571
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I read up on the performance, most everyone agrees very little difference, but in tight turn racing, the Z51 is a better performer. 1/4 mile time...same
Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Can anyone comment on the difference in acceleration the performance gear ratios have on the z51 vs the non z51.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3
A Z-51 car will get you the dusty brake pads !!!!
But easily resolved with some Carbotech 1521s.

Last edited by owc6; 04-17-2019 at 11:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by owc6:
akers4000 (05-06-2019), JerryU (05-01-2019), ptalar (04-30-2019), wrecker3 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I really like the base stingray, with it's beautiful lines it's very pure and uncluttered. If I were buying the base car I would not get the Z51 package in order to get the smoothest quietest riding car. If I needed the performance additions I'd go ahead and jump up to the GS, Its only a bit more than the Z51.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

The Z51, as stated by GM is designed for those folks who intend to take their Corvette to the race track: stiffer suspension, tighter gearing, wider tires, dry sump oil system, bigger brakes, all items made to improve car for racing. If you're not going to race the car the Z51's are not the way to go. If I were you I'd get the base Stingray, but instead of the money spent on Z51 options I'd spend it on 2lt and mag ride, or even the paint color if you like those colors. And you should call the big national dealers and see what percentage discount you can get if you order a new car to be builtt just for you. You might be pleasantly surprised at the discounts available. That way you great your dream car, exactly the car you want
The following 2 users liked this post by rrepp:
Blue Curvette (04-18-2019), Ryand1979 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Ryand1979
Cruising

Originally Posted by rrepp
The Z51, as stated by GM is designed for those folks who intend to take their Corvette to the race track: stiffer suspension, tighter gearing, wider tires, dry sump oil system, bigger brakes, all items made to improve car for racing. If you're not going to race the car the Z51's are not the way to go. If I were you I'd get the base Stingray, but instead of the money spent on Z51 options I'd spend it on 2lt and mag ride, or even the paint color if you like those colors. And you should call the big national dealers and see what percentage discount you can get if you order a new car to be builtt just for you. You might be pleasantly surprised at the discounts available. That way you great your dream car, exactly the car you want
With all the great input you guys have given me so far, I don’t believe the Z51 is what I want or need. And to your point, I was actually thinking of doing the same thing and instead spending that money on a 2LT. My must-have options are the dual mode exhaust and the seven speed manual transmission. I’ve actually been doing some searching, and finding a 2LT with a manual transmission is like a needle in a haystack. I’m in Massachusetts so I am located between the two biggest Corvette dealers in the world, Kerbeck and MacMulkin. The latter has 34 2LT coupes in stock, not a single one manual transmission. The next thing on my agenda may be to contact both of them and see what it would cost to just order it.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7, Z51 or no?

Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Trust me, you want the Z51. You already stated that; "you want high performance out of your Corvette." Be certain to get the MSRC (MagRide). Then you're good to go......fast, very fast !!

Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by rrepp
That's ^^^ totally false.

..The vast majority of Z51s NEVER ARE TRACKED. Z51s are primarily bought AND USED for high performance on the streets and highways.....

..The OP wants high performance. He's not going to get that out of a base Corvette.....

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 04-18-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Have you checked the mega dealers like MacMulkin or Kerbeck? They have great pricing. I suspect that Z51’s are a bit hard to find at the moment. A no option 1LT GS (makes a very nice ride) should be under $60k if you know where to look.

Quick Reply: New C7, Z51 or no?