Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil life

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Topic has been discussed two or three dozen times maybe more. Suggest you search the topic which will give you hundreds of opinions.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
I don't know much about oil composition so I am just asking, if Blackstone says your oil is good after two years why should their analysis be doubted? And if true their reputation for oil analysis would be shot.
I dont believe you... Ive personal done hundreds of test at the Warren Test faculty developing the oil life monitoring system and the new revamped oil feed system. We could never get past 15 months without an exponentially acidic condition and that's after 15 months. WE do something called F.M.E.A. in research and development. Failure Modes Effect Analysis. 1 years was the establish safety Zone, thus the recommendation. You are telling me you drove a car for 24 months and had no negative PH? Like I said.. I dont believe you. People think they can buy 15,000 mile oil and use the same oil for 15 years putting 1000 miles a year on it.. WE hear stories like that all the time at GM Engineering support. people read Max pressure on the sidewall of a run flat tire Max pressure 63 psi, and they think that putting 63 psi in their corvette must be better because more is better right? They wonder why the handling is so unsafe. WE have a saying at GM that we can not make it idiot proof enough for some of the idiots who buy these cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
bnkvette (10-14-2019), Maxie2U (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I dont believe you... Ive personal done hundreds of test at the Warren Test faculty developing the oil life monitoring system and the new revamped oil feed system. We could never get past 15 months without an exponentially acidic condition and that's after 15 months. WE do something called F.M.E.A. in research and development. Failure Modes Effect Analysis. 1 years was the establish safety Zone, thus the recommendation. You are telling me you drove a car for 24 months and had no negative PH? Like I said.. I dont believe you. People think they can buy 15,000 mile oil and use the same oil for 15 years putting 1000 miles a year on it.. WE hear stories like that all the time at GM Engineering support. people read Max pressure on the sidewall of a run flat tire Max pressure 63 psi, and they think that putting 63 psi in their corvette must be better because more is better right? They wonder why the handling is so unsafe. WE have a saying at GM that we can not make it idiot proof enough for some of the idiots who buy these cars.
Meaning people who say this? I know your not talking about me because I made no comment on any of this in this thread. I am just asking, so if Blackstone or whatever their called says your oil is good after two years their lying or don't know what they are talking about? I thought their word was god on this stuff.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Mine lasted a poor 7500 miles this summer (I actually put on 11,000 miles so I can say I mostly removed the time component).

I feel that even without the time component the C7 oil life monitor is much more aggressive than the C6 one.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
PAtman, Im not one to speak (as I use Supertech oil/filters). but I know you go by the "book"... Mobil states: "Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil is recommended for oil change intervals up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occurs first'.
Is that SuperTech DEXOS2? just wondering?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Evil-Twin, so tell us what is affected and what damage occurs when "OLD" oil is run for 2 years or longer and you don't even reach 7,500 miles? I have no doubt there are compounds that aren't necessarily good but are they harmful enough to cause catastrophic engine failure or any kind of failure? I understand that if you had an engine failure an oil analysis would indicate elevated levels of a specific compound and would void a warranty. I'd have to think most of us take really good care of our vehicles and most don't abuse them. I have to also imagine that the LT1 engine is not that different from many other "modern" engines today which do not require oil changes every year and they do not have catastrophic failures, so perhaps isn't this a bit overblown though required to maintain warranty?

I had a boat that I recently sold with a Gen V blown 454 making about 650 HP running Mobile 1 15w/50 racing. I owned it for 18 years! I only put on maybe 20 hours a year. I didn't change the oil for about 10 years due to infrequent/lack of use. I changed the filter every 2 years and added a quart once or twice in 10 years and the oil always looked perfect and never had any issues with the engine that I built. I never did an analysis and it likely had impurities but the engine didn't know any better. Do we think our LT1 engines would know they had compounds that weren't helpful?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Maybe GM sabotaged the oil or tests? Who knows? Why don't you take it up with Exxon / Mobil Corporation, or, Blackstone. I'd believe Blackstone or Exxon / Mobil, before I'd believe GM, or anyone who works for GM... They're not a reliable source of information...
The following users liked this post:
Gnarley Z51 (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gnarley Z51
Evil-Twin, so tell us what is affected and what damage occurs when "OLD" oil is run for 2 years or longer and you don't even reach 7,500 miles? I have no doubt there are compounds that aren't necessarily good but are they harmful enough to cause catastrophic engine failure or any kind of failure? I understand that if you had an engine failure an oil analysis would indicate elevated levels of a specific compound and would void a warranty. I'd have to think most of us take really good care of our vehicles and most don't abuse them. I have to also imagine that the LT1 engine is not that different from many other "modern" engines today which do not require oil changes every year and they do not have catastrophic failures, so perhaps isn't this a bit overblown though required to maintain warranty?

I had a boat that I recently sold with a Gen V blown 454 making about 650 HP running Mobile 1 15w/50 racing. I owned it for 18 years! I only put on maybe 20 hours a year. I didn't change the oil for about 10 years due to infrequent/lack of use. I changed the filter every 2 years and added a quart once or twice in 10 years and the oil always looked perfect and never had any issues with the engine that I built. I never did an analysis and it likely had impurities but the engine didn't know any better. Do we think our LT1 engines would know they had compounds that weren't helpful?
I'm on the same time and maintenance trajectories with Mobil 1 in several of my vehicles. If the engine (any engine) fails, it won't be because of the age of the Mobil 1 oil. That ain't gonna happen....
The following users liked this post:
Gnarley Z51 (11-08-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Just because it doesn't meet GM's internal metrics doesn't make it "unsafe." OEMs are typically overly cautious, for good reason, they don't want to incur warranty costs due to failed components. So they do everything by the book. 3rd party sources of analysis are typically better to understand if something is really "unsafe." It's proven that the OLM has gotten more aggressive (even without the time component) in recent years. Maybe this is a reaction to too much warranty work on engines. At the end of the day, not following the OLM doesn't cause your engine to fail. What it does do is cause you to not be covered under warranty if it does. So there is a certain amount of risk people have to take. As long as I have a warranty or my GM service plan I'll follow the OLM. But once the car is outside those limits, I'll care less about it. Oil can run up to 10,000 miles if its true synthetic, unless you're doing ridiculous things (or tracking the car).
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

What about this... and maybe it was already covered and I missed it?

If your car only has a couple of thousand miles on the oil and it times out is the oil bad? Do we really think a dealer would change the oil on a brand new car they've had in stock for a year? Methinks not and they'd likely just reset the timer. So if a dealer does that and the oil is like new why can't anyone just reset the counter for their oil? After all, isn't changing oil that's only been used a few thousand miles really very wasteful? What about some owners who barely drive their cars at all? Why should you change the oil just because it times out, what harm is there in resetting the counter and getting the useful life out of your oil?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:56 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

If your car only has a couple of thousand miles on the oil and it times out is the oil bad? Do we really think a dealer would change the oil on a brand new car they've had in stock for a year? Methinks not and they'd likely just reset the timer. So if a dealer does that and the oil is like new why can't anyone just reset the counter for their oil? After all, isn't changing oil that's only been used a few thousand miles really very wasteful? What about some owners who barely drive their cars at all? Why should you change the oil just because it times out, what harm is there in resetting the counter and getting the useful life out of your oil?

Thanks!
Yes, It has been covered.

While under warranty, follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't, and have an engine warranty claim, be prepared to prove you actually did the oil changes (not just reset the OLM). Once you are out of warranty, do whatever the heck you want.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:08 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Thanks!
I bought a 16 month old from new 2017 with 25 miles on it. The Chevrolet dealer set the OLM to start when I bought the car.
Some believe that the engine will blow up if oil is not changed yearly.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-04-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Some believe that the engine will blow up if oil is not changed yearly.
Nobody believes that. But what is a fact is that if you don't change your oil at least once every 12 months while under warranty, GM has every reason to deny any engine warranty claim you might make. So is it really worth saving a few bucks over? Once the warranty is up you can do what you wish.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Default Limited Powertrain Warranty

Originally Posted by Patman
Nobody believes that. But what is a fact is that if you don't change your oil at least once every 12 months while under warranty, GM has every reason to deny any engine warranty claim you might make. So is it really worth saving a few bucks over? Once the warranty is up you can do what you wish.
Great, so the Warranty is 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty. Does anyone know specifically what is limited and how? The part that typically gives a manufacturer a way out is "LIMITED"! Can you imagine that the oil pump failed and when looking at stored data in the ECM they found you manually shifting and that wasn't allowed under warranty? I always expect some kind of limitations and exclusions will apply to benefit a manufacturer and leaving a customer responsible.

Anyway, I'm always skeptical regarding limitations. Can someone with a solid understanding comment?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Great, so the Warranty is 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty. Does anyone know specifically what is limited and how? The part that typically gives a manufacturer a way out is "LIMITED"! Can you imagine that the oil pump failed and when looking at stored data in the ECM they found you manually shifting and that wasn't allowed under warranty? I always expect some kind of limitations and exclusions will apply to benefit a manufacturer and leaving a customer responsible.

Anyway, I'm always skeptical regarding limitations. Can someone with a solid understanding comment?
You can always expect far less when out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper factory warranty. That's pretty much gospel, regardless. The power train warranty is a whole nother thing. Like the 3/36, it is all inclusive of only what it covers. Don't worry about your OLM timing out if you haven't changed your oil. It's definitely not going to void any warranty. Not in the 3/36.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You can always expect far less when out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper factory warranty. That's pretty much gospel, regardless. The power train warranty is a whole nother thing. Like the 3/36, it is all inclusive of only what it covers. Don't worry about your OLM timing out if you haven't changed your oil. It's definitely not going to void any warranty. Not in the 3/36.
Thanks for responding, however, I'm not looking at the 3/36, it's over and done.

I'd like clarification on the 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty which is not clear as to what is covered in the Powertrain in years 4 and 5.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM
BLACKCREEK
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you imagine that the oil pump failed and when looking at stored data in the ECM they found you manually shifting and that wasn't allowed under warranty? I always expect some kind of limitations and exclusions will apply to benefit a manufacturer and leaving a customer responsible.

I hope they allow manual shifting because I have a manual transmission. 2015 says 5 years and 100K miles for powertrain.. I have about 59k on the odometer but I am out of time next april.

Quick Reply: Oil life