Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

To repaint or not to repaint...that is the question

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To repaint or not to repaint...that is the question

Old 04-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Received 538 Likes on 282 Posts
Default To repaint or not to repaint...that is the question

Last September, I found paint chips in 4 spots along the bumper seams on my 2017 Torch Red Vette. GM and my dealer stepped up and had the front and rear bumpers repainted in November. The results were fantastic.

Flash forward to warmer weather last week, and the chips are back in 2 of the original locations and worsening before my eyes (literally from morning to afternoon). The dealer and the body shop are standing behind it, so no issues there but I’m torn on the timing of the repair.

Should I:

A. Get it over with and address this now, but part with my Converible Z06 for up to a month?
B. Deal with it, enjoy the prime driving months (and see if anything else pops up) and get it fixed in November?

I realize these are first world problems, that do not impact drivability or convertible enjoyment of my Vette. I’m not a huge car show guy (but do enjoy detailing my car), but I’m sincerely torn.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:24 AM
F4 Phantom
CF Senior Member

Received 277 Likes on 208 Posts

Up to a month? Why not an overnight?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:24 AM
edved
CF Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Enjoy the driving weather and wait until November.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 AM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom View Post
Up to a month? Why not an overnight?
lol, while I donít expect overnight I thought a month was excessive. They said 2 weeks, paint and prep. 2 weeks to cure/dry before remounting to avoid further issues along the seams.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member

Received 128 Likes on 112 Posts

These seem like really, really, excessive times.
V Vette (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Vette Ski
CF Senior Member

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Last September, I found paint chips in 4 spots along the bumper seams on my 2017 Torch Red Vette. GM and my dealer stepped up and had the front and rear bumpers repainted in November. The results were fantastic.

Flash forward to warmer weather last week, and the chips are back in 2 of the original locations and worsening before my eyes (literally from morning to afternoon). The dealer and the body shop are standing behind it, so no issues there but Iím torn on the timing of the repair.

Should I:

A. Get it over with and address this now, but part with my Converible Z06 for up to a month?
B. Deal with it, enjoy the prime driving months (and see if anything else pops up) and get it fixed in November?

I realize these are first world problems, that do not impact drivability or convertible enjoyment of my Vette. Iím not a huge car show guy (but do enjoy detailing my car), but Iím sincerely torn.

That one seam seems VERY tight, body parts rubbing?
Rich
BEAR-AvHistory (05-05-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Landru
CF Senior Member

Received 464 Likes on 407 Posts

If they promise 2 weeks, get it done & move-on.
Hell it snowed yesterday (Sat).
There'll be plenty of driving days a lot more ideal than now.
I'd sure want mine looking good for those good days. YMMV
Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
These seem like really, really, excessive times.
ďExcessiveĒ, how so? As I said, ďfirst world problemsĒ... but are you saying I should just live with it?

Originally Posted by Vette Ski View Post
That one seam seems VERY tight, body parts rubbing?
Rich
Yes. Talked with the body shop and he says there is little or now adjustment there.

Originally Posted by Landru View Post
If they promise 2 weeks, get it done & move-on.
Hell it snowed yesterday (Sat).
There'll be plenty of driving days a lot more ideal than now.
I'd sure want mine looking good for those good days. YMMV
Yeah, itís weird to be talking about ďprime convertible seasonĒ with 3Ē of fresh snow down from a fluke Spring storm. Itíll be gone by tomorrow and 70ís by Wednesday. Iíd roll with 2 weeks...itís the 4 weeks that gives pause.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Get it adjusted after November. Enjoy the car. He said "little or no adjustment". Tell him OK. I'll take "little". That's all it will take to separate those panels properly. And believe me. They can be adjusted.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 PM
LuisZ51
CF Senior Member

Received 211 Likes on 125 Posts

There's a TSB for how to properly fix this issue. But of course most dealers won't do it right. The first time mine went in for the front bumper chipping it was there for a month! Two weeks later it chipped again. Second time it took 2 weeks. Then 3 days later it chipped again. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Vette Ski
CF Senior Member

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 View Post
There's a TSB for how to properly fix this issue. But of course most dealers won't do it right. The first time mine went in for the front bumper chipping it was there for a month! Two weeks later it chipped again. Second time it took 2 weeks. Then 3 days later it chipped again. Not sure what to do at this point.
I guess use our touch up paint ?? We should't have to but?
Laguna Fred (04-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 01:12 PM
LuisZ51
CF Senior Member

Received 211 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Ski View Post
I guess use our touch up paint ?? We should't have to but?
I have OCD tho 😁
And you're right, we shouldn't have to do that! I'm on the edge of giving up on this car.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Here is a proper seam separation. Show it to the dealer next time you get it repaired. I don't know what the seams look like on their lot of C7s, but they should have a look at them for reference.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM
sTz
CF Senior Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 1,016 Posts

A month is waaaaaay too long. A week max. I personally would get it fixed now, but if it doesn’t bother you that much, then wait. My concern would be it peeling again. Perhaps the dealership painter should try another technique, or order factory pre-painted panels; if they’re available. It seems like the paint problems have been somewhat mitigated by the new paint facility.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 800 Likes on 539 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A month sounds like too long, but you can't realistically expect to be done sooner than they say.

I'd have fun this summer and get it fixed in later Fall. If you develop any more problems, or get some stone chips in the paint, you could have it all done at once.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
Get it adjusted after November. Enjoy the car. He said "little or no adjustment". Tell him OK. I'll take "little". That's all it will take to separate those panels properly. And believe me. They can be adjusted.
Agree. I was a little surprised by this.

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 View Post
They are aware of the TSB, and mentioned the process. Iím not convinced I wonít be in the same boat you are.

Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
Here is a proper seam separation. Show it to the dealer next time you get it repaired. I don't know what the seams look like on their lot of C7s, but they should have a look at them for reference.
Agree, though itís not a dealer body shop. This is a body shop near the dealer, recommended by the dealer..and yes, I am questioning having it fixed again by the same shop (other than the repair warranty is with them, so I may not have a choice).

Originally Posted by sTz View Post
A month is waaaaaay too long. A week max. I personally would get it fixed now, but if it doesnít bother you that much, then wait. My concern would be it peeling again. Perhaps the dealership painter should try another technique, or order factory pre-painted panels; if theyíre available. It seems like the paint problems have been somewhat mitigated by the new paint facility.
Agree, a month is WAAAAY to long. Iíd be content with two. It bothers me ALOT, actually...and yes, it chipping again is a huge concern. I canít see the chip/buckled paint while driving but from the drivers side door it literally sticks straight up in the air. Not sexy. Itís not the dealer body shop but a 3rd party shop...I doubt a pre-painted piece would be available, and as I understand it mine was painted by he new shop.

i actually trust this shop. They do nice work, and I was REALLY happy with the process and results last Fall. When I brought this to his attention, he was dumbfounded and embarrassed. Not blowing it off at all. The chips are ONLY on the bumpers not the center body, which seems odd.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,597 Likes on 3,929 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Tough choice to make. I would probably lean towards getting it done in late fall when the driving weather is not the best, but I can understand if you would want it done so the car looks its best during the prime driving season. Whenever you get it done, I hope they can fix it to where it will not chip again.
Big Lebowski (04-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 PM
Fcal
CF Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 128 Posts

My 18 GS had a slight mishap and I had to get the rear fascia replaced and painted. In the shop for a week and half. Came back perfect.
A Month.............what are you kidding me?
Big Lebowski (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

I'm getting mixed signals on if there is in fact a TSB for the paint chipping on these bumpers. Anyone know?
Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM
thrilled
CF Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts

I would have it done ASAP.But that’s how I do things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To repaint or not to repaint...that is the question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: