Sponsored by:

Going from a 3LT to a 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
It always baffles me a bit when these trim level comparisons keep coming up. They are exactly the same and go something like this - "I traded my 3LT for an 1LT XXX and I don't miss anything."

There is a reason very few of these threads get started that say "I bought a 1LT and boy am I dumb for doing that. The reason is most people would just never admit it and these threads that keep going on and on about how beneficial it was to go with a car with the least options just prove that theory out. Also, shopping used vs new makes this a completely different exercise. Brand new cars have sticker prices that just continue to escalate as options get added to them and the discounts are fixed specifically when you look at the big forum dealers. If they are offering 15 or 20% its pretty much the same discount level 1LT or 3LT. For local dealers selling new cars it's all over the board with some even discounting the higher optioned versions even less than they discount the 1LT's. In our area of the country you rarely even see more than one or two 3LT's in dealer inventory across a five state area. 1LT's are in stock everywhere and at many dealers so there is more competition and discounting going on with these cars.

Used cars come with all of these options already depreciated and at a much larger discount. For a majority of buyers of course they are going to choose the lowest priced car they can still live with when its new. For the used market a few extra dollars will get you a highly optioned car that is just a bit more special and nicer to live with. During my year long search for my car I quickly decided it made zero sense to pickup a base 1LT vert with no options when highly optioned cars were on the market and at very attractive prices in comparison. Also, of all the cars I went out to see in person and drive the higher optioned cars across the board tended to be the "garage queen" variety with owners that babied them. Not so much for the 1LT base versions.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a 1LT it just makes no sense whatsoever to try to prove a lesser optioned car is the right car for anyone over one with more options. The best thing about the Corvette is the wide array of models and options out there. If you really want a Vette there is one to satisfy pretty much every buyer.
Yup. Exactly right-on. 👍

Chev. dealers load-up on the 1lts, because they can easily leverage the salivating new buyer into one because it is $5K less. Pretty simple logic. It's not until later, the buyer feels shorted.

The opposite occurs when some Chev. dealers are "stuck" with heavily optioned aging new 3lts. These are the biggest bargains out there when heavily discounted. I'm good with the 3lt I found that was exactly what I was looking for @ -20%, MSRP. Basically, the $ option of 3lt is thrown in for free.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 05-18-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
That's true...but you have the benefits of use with what comes with the 3LT.....Don't get me wrong....different strokes for different folks...for ME, .I want my Corvettes LOADED.
Me too. I was considering ordering a new 2017 2lt at a -12% discount. So, when I came across exactly what I wanted - a new 2017 3LT @ -20% discount - I was ALL IN! ¡More, for less $ is always better!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,689 Likes on 5,591 Posts

It always baffles me a bit when these trim level comparisons keep coming up. They are exactly the same and go something like this - "I traded my 3LT for an 1LT XXX and I don't miss anything."

There is a reason very few of these threads get started that say "I bought a 1LT and boy am I dumb for doing that. The reason is most people would just never admit it and these threads that keep going on and on about how beneficial it was to go with a car with the least options just prove that theory out.
If you had been around here longer you would know this thread title/subject is quite rare and that the vast majority of the trim level comparison threads are started by potential C7 buyers seeking advise as to go with the 1LT trim package or 2LT. Then typically certain 3LT owners (everyone knows who they are) will come out of the woodwork bashing 1LTs and preaching why the 3LT trim package is best.

In addition, you are wrong as to why very few threads get started that say "I bought a 1LT and boy am I dumb for doing that. The reason there's so few or none of those type threads is that C7s are high-performance sportscars, NOT luxury cars and many C7 owners purchase them for the HP driving experience and don't care for the problematic upgraded leather, cooled/heated seats, extra speaker etc-etc...........
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
65fastback (05-18-2019), Patman (05-18-2019), Red C8 of Jax (05-19-2019), ShadowGray19 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Chev. dealers load-up on the 1lts, because they can easily leverage the salivating new buyer into one because it is $5K less. Pretty simple logic. It's not until later, the buyer feels shorted.

17 months and 11,000 miles later, I still don't feel shorted on my 1LT. It's got everything I need to be happy. True story. To each their own...
The following users liked this post:
MrClean21 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 03:15 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
If you had been around here longer you would know this thread title/subject is quite rare and that the vast majority of the trim level comparison threads are started by potential C7 buyers seeking advise as to go with the 1LT trim package or 2LT. Then typically certain 3LT owners (everyone knows who they are) will come out of the woodwork bashing 1LTs and preaching why the 3LT trim package is best.

In addition, you are wrong as to why very few threads get started that say "I bought a 1LT and boy am I dumb for doing that. The reason there's so few or none of those type threads is that C7s are high-performance sportscars, NOT luxury cars and many C7 owners purchase them for the HP driving experience and don't care for the problematic upgraded leather, cooled/heated seats, extra speaker etc-etc...........

Its simple... the 2lt & 3lt are not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

This option does not make me right or wrong. and your 3lt is not the best version of a corvette nor is a 1lt.

furthermore ...if i had more money to spend i would have bought a Z06 1lz even if these were cheaper...a 2lt or 3lt GS or 3lt Z51
Old 05-18-2019, 04:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback

Its simple... the 2lt & 3lt are not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

This option does not make me right or wrong. and your 3lt is not the best version of a corvette nor is a 1lt.

furthermore ...if i had more money to spend i would have bought a Z06 1lz even if these were cheaper...a 2lt or 3lt GS or 3lt Z51
I agree with the bolded. I was going to go with a 1LZ vs a 3LT Stingray. Then Chevy offered 20% and I got a 100k for less than 80k.. loaded and after having the nappa leather Alcantara everywhere i couldn't be happier. I would feel like I shorted myself with a 1 LZ.. 2LZ not as much but love the Alcantara and PDR with the 3.. and the quality of le as ther is absolutely noticable vs the glued patched together leather scraps of the 1 and 2LT/LZs.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:33 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Respectfully disagree. Yes, many Corvette owners purchase them only for their numbers but there are plenty of threads all over this forum discussing how GM needs to continue to improve on the quality of the interior materials and technology integration in the Corvette. Many owners want performance, luxury and refinement as a part of the overall package as a large swath of owners will never push the car to it's performance limits but every single one of them will sit on the seats, touch the wheel and elements of the interior, adjust the climate controls, plug in their phones, record a road trip etc. etc. The C7 was a big step up from the C6 in this regard and has a lot to do with the praise it has garnered and has been key to it's overall success and desirability. Does anyone need a 3LT, 3LZ or 3ZR to be happy with their Corvette? Of course not but these trim levels exist and they do have both relevance and merit.

As my Dad used to say many many years ago. Who needs A/C or an FM radio in a car? The answer is nobody NEEDS them but just about everybody still WANTS those types of things.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Respectfully disagree. Yes, many Corvette owners purchase them only for their numbers but there are plenty of threads all over this forum discussing how GM needs to continue to improve on the quality of the interior materials and technology integration in the Corvette. Many owners want performance, luxury and refinement as a part of the overall package as a large swath of owners will never push the car to it's performance limits but every single one of them will sit on the seats, touch the wheel and elements of the interior, adjust the climate controls, plug in their phones, record a road trip etc. etc. The C7 was a big step up from the C6 in this regard and has a lot to do with the praise it has garnered and has been key to it's overall success and desirability. Does anyone need a 3LT, 3LZ or 3ZR to be happy with their Corvette? Of course not but these trim levels exist and they do have both relevance and merit.

As my Dad used to say many many years ago. Who needs A/C or an FM radio in a car? The answer is nobody NEEDS them but just about everybody still WANTS those types of things.
I would say that is a fair statement. There are choices now to please all drivers for what they want.
Previous models always had the complaint that the interior wasn't adequate.
JDSKY (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,689 Likes on 5,591 Posts

Exactly what part of my post do you respectfully disagree with?
The C7 is a high performance sportscar, not a luxury car. That's a fact!
Many C7 owners purchase them for the HP driving experience and don't care for the problematic upgraded leather, cooled/heated seats, extra speaker etc-etc..... Again a fact!
Old 05-19-2019, 12:00 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Exactly right-on, once again.

..The C7 is such a magnificent car with all the 3LT goodies, that I've really been spoiled on the luxury. I'm not a bottom feeding budget new car buyer. I've never had to sacrifice or chisel my way in to a new car or truck. I just buy em loaded up. I enjoy my good fortune buying exactly what I like too. Some are not able to swing the numbers. I get that.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:04 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joemessman
I would say that is a fair statement. There are choices now to please all drivers for what they want.
The interiors sucked C4/C5&C/6. It was a disgrace. I was totally refreshed with the C7. I am grateful to have bought a new C7 3LT, exactly as I wanted it.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:27 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

This forum should win some award for these nonsense arguments.

Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! is too! Is not! Is too! Is not! Is too!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I disagree with your assessment that it won't make much difference of what you get at time of trade or private sale.....Look up the C7 on Kelly Blue Book and SEE the difference in price a dealer will give you for a 1 LT and a 3 LT ...
That's exactly correct. The 3LT commands a much higher resale and trade-in value on sell day. Not sure why some cling to a 1lt being more preferred?!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joemessman
It wasn't a "complaint," it was fact. One look in the cheap interiors of the C4/5/6, it was a no-brainer how cheaply they were appointed.... The C3s up until 1978 was on par with the C7 as very desirous..... You're not going to sell upper scale buyers on cheap interiors. I can promise you that.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

It wasn't a "complaint," it was fact. One look in the cheap interiors of the C4/5/6, it was a no-brainer how cheaply they were appointed.... The C3s up until 1978 was on par with the C7 as very desirous..... You're not going to sell upper scale buyers on cheap interiors. I can promise you that.
Your command and comprehension of the English language never ceases to amaze me.
Patman (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I totally agree. C7 is a spectacular drivetrain and chassis with no way to avoid a lot of standard equipment that is nonsense.
I also agree, Corvettes were always a raw performance car...now people want alcantara leather, hud, bose, etc
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Not to mention, it's always been irritating at how car magazines dismiss the Corvette due to its interior, despite having the car having such a high level of performance. How often have they beaten the drum that a Porsche is a better car despite the Corvette being dynamically superior? "Well, the interior is a far nicer place to be..." GM knew they had to make serious, serious updates to the C7's interior. I think they did a tremendous job. I've driven plenty of C5s and C6s in my time, but never considered owning one. The C7 was the first Corvette that really had my attention, and felt inside and out like a complete high-end sports car. The C7 is a tremendous value, and now, you don't have to apologize or make excuses for the interiors. The 3LTs? They're just icing on top of an already excellent cake.

Get notified of new replies

To Going from a 3LT to a 1LT

Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

That's exactly correct. The 3LT commands a much higher resale and trade-in value on sell day. Not sure why some cling to a 1lt being more preferred?!
Trade-in values:
17 stingray 3LT - KBB $42,574
17 stingray 1LT - KBB $41,707

Much higher resale huh? I'm seeing less than a grand difference, lol. The extra money you spend on the 3LT package goes away almost immediately after you buy it.

17 GS 1LT - KBB $53,221 - holding it's value a lot better than your stingray with front cameras and garage door opener...
The following 6 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
65fastback (05-20-2019), JDSC8VETTE (05-20-2019), joemessman (05-20-2019), Kevin A Jones (05-20-2019), Patman (05-20-2019), speedlink (05-20-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietbreaker
The 3LTs? They're just icing on top of an already excellent cake.
Unless your dash peels off...
Old 05-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Unless your dash peels off...
I've seen you say this multiple times. I kinda feel bad for you at this point. It's clear to me that you've got an axe to grind. The 3LT interiors are nicer, it is what it is. Some folks want the cheapest Corvette they can afford, others want more optioned out cars. Your tired comments about the dash aren't going to change that, sorry.

Quick Reply: Going from a 3LT to a 1LT