Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new Corvette, but paint defect

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

It happens. Get it fixed to perfect, then watch it like a hawk to make sure it stays fixed. GL.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Grndsprt19
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have them fix it. If you ever run into another owner he'll spot it
Old 06-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

Get it fixed, that would drive me crazy.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

It is pretty straightforward to remove and re-install the front bumper. I would not fear the dealership fixing it properly.

However ANY owner continuing to have to deal with issues such as this is pathetic. There needs to be some firings and reassignments at Bowling Green as that appears to be the only way things will change for the better.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:21 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
It is pretty straightforward to remove and re-install the front bumper. I would not fear the dealership fixing it properly.

However ANY owner continuing to have to deal with issues such as this is pathetic. There needs to be some firings and reassignments at Bowling Green as that appears to be the only way things will change for the better.
This is BS!!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

FML I just ordered a LBR Z a few weeks ago. Wish I had time to research more in depth or I wouldn't have gone through with it. Wheels bending and breaking are one thing, but mobody is going to touch up paint on one of these tricoats and have it match completely though.

I don't really feel like spending 82k on a car that isn't flawless in finish.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm pretty **** about my cars and having the paint chip like that would drive me nuts every time I look at the car, especially a brand new car. I would get it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:43 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

So is this a "this is going to happen to most people" kind of thing with these cars (unless you have one the colors that seem to be less commonly affected)? Or a smallish subset?

I asked my sales guy about if it was still an issue and he said "yes it still happens because of how tight the panels are" which wasn't exactly the response I was hoping for, though I do appreciate his honesty.

Just annoyed I'm already stressing about a fit and finish issue and the car hasn't even been built yet.

Last edited by NinjaBum; 06-06-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

It's not a gap tightness issue... it's a panel prep issue. The C5/6 all had tight bumper to fender and bumper to quarter gaps. The C5 used metal stud plates with nuts so I'd wager it was tighter than the C7s snap together joints and this NEVER happened. Pathetic that over the run of the car they can't update the paint process to fix this.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Frosty (06-06-2019), LuisZ51 (06-06-2019), MSG C5 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Made an "Ask Tadge" question... gives me very little confidence for buying a new C8 if they can't fix it over the 6 years of the C7.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599533437
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM
NinjaBum
Racer

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
It's not a gap tightness issue... it's a panel prep issue. The C5/6 all had tight bumper to fender and bumper to quarter gaps. The C5 used metal stud plates with nuts so I'd wager it was tighter than the C7s snap together joints and this NEVER happened. Pathetic that over the run of the car they can't update the paint process to fix this.
Yeah I dont recall my other gens having flaking or chipping paint around panel edges.

In fact the only car I've had that had something similar was a GTO I owned that was in an accident and got resprayed by an insurance recommended body shop that did a poor job on the edge of the bumper cover.

It's bad enough if its Torch or another flat color that's easier to match but you're never going to match one of these metallics to where someone in the know won't be able to tell it was repainted.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

"It's bad enough if its Torch or another flat color that's easier to match but you're never going to match one of these metallics to where someone in the know won't be able to tell it was repainted."

I disagree. I had a light gold metallic (almost silver) Camry which got whacked and needed a new bumper. Knowing that these types of colors (silvers and golds) are the most difficult colors to match and have that match not fade differently, I told the body shop that I would not accept anything but an exact match in every lighting scenario. It took them a week of painting and repainting but they finally were able to do it and three years later it was still an exact match. They can now use a special tool to measure the actual paint on your car and match it. I also had a 2016 Rogue that was charcoal and had to have the hatch and rear bumper replaced. I also could not see a mismatch. Bottom line is that there is hope, you just need to take it to someone competent and be demanding.

Last edited by Frosty; 06-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:50 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I agree. I have a 19 that's just over a year old that has a tight gap in the very area people are showing the issue occurring and the paint isn't chipping off on mine. Maybe that will change, but when I see this paint issue, the paint is coming off far more than it would if it was just a rubbing/friction issue.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine is currently being repaired for the fourth time now. This time they are completely stripping the bumper down to nothing starting over from scratch. I see two screws holding the snap in clip right at the corners of the fender. I'm thinking of adding some washer spacers in there to create a gap. The Mylar tape the TSB suggests that did not work on mine.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Originally Posted by Frosty
"It's bad enough if its Torch or another flat color that's easier to match but you're never going to match one of these metallics to where someone in the know won't be able to tell it was repainted."

I disagree. I had a light gold metallic (almost silver) Camry which got whacked and needed a new bumper. Knowing that these types of colors (silvers and golds) are the most difficult colors to match and have that match not fade differently, I told the body shop that I would not accept anything but an exact match in every lighting scenario. It took them a week of painting and repainting but they finally were able to do it and three years later it was still an exact match. They can now use a special tool to measure the actual paint on your car and match it. I also had a 2016 Rogue that was charcoal and had to have the hatch and rear bumper replaced. I also could not see a mismatch. Bottom line is that there is hope, you just need to take it to someone competent and be demanding.
I have my doubts any body shop with ever be able to 100% match a tricoat. Maybe get it to where 98% of people wont notice but detailers or painters are gonna be able to tell Im sure. Who knows though.

Either way though, it just shouldn't be something you have to worry about fixing on any new car but especially one with a price this high.

Last edited by NinjaBum; 06-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:26 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Had a chip on the rear quarter panel on my brand new C7z. They told me the car would be down for 3 weeks to be repainted. I said "no thanks" and just lived with it.

Would rather have a tiny chip only I'll notice than have a brand new car resprayed. I don't trust GM when it comes to quality and a respray from them SCARES me.

Last edited by vettefordays; 06-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Yeah. It would never be the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Brand new Corvette, but paint defect

Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

I think it's definitely a panel rubbing issue. Dealer fixed mine as a requirement for purchase and it is flawless now (was a very slight crack/peel in the paint right in that corner where the hood/quarter/bumper meet on the driver's side). However, when the bumper was re-installed, it was flush with the quarter, hood, and headlight which is why I took deliver thinking everything was great. After driving it home 40ish miles that corner of the bumper cover raised itself up just about 1/16" compared to the surrounding body panels. You can push it back down and hear it rub on the surrounding panels. I'm convinced that rubbing is how it likely cracked the paint in the corner in the first place. I'm not sure if I should try to get it re-adjusted or let it be since it won't rub where it's at right now. Passenger side is perfectly flush.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Grndsprt19
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the dealer body guy and he did a first round of touchup. He needs to layer it in. I think when he finishes it will not be noticeable and barely noticeable to me. My phone camera sucks but I will try to post a picture.

When I bought this car there looked like there were 2 of these paint/interior schemes in the lot. I did a walk around around of both and didn't notice anything. I picked one - test drove it - and decided on it. They had me sign all the papers while they were readying the car. When I was ready to drive off - I did another walk around around - and that is when I saw it. I pointed it out to that salesman and he brought out some touchup. I looked at another car - different color - and saw the same issue. I figured I would take care of it out of the warranty since it did not look like an impact issue.. To me - it was a very minor thing and I am quite happy with the car otherwise right now. The reality is you really don't know what defects are in any car that you CAN'T see when signing off on the purchase. That is why you have a warranty.

Now the body guys said that was caused by the installation of the fascia and he went through a description of how they do it. I believe he said the fascia is painted at a different location and then it is attached.

So again - the car looks beautiful otherwise and I have no regrets right now. But I do think GM should do the right thing - no questions asked - offer a new fascia over the life of the warranty on these cars as these cars should be perfect when delivered. There is too much risk in not matching the paint exactly with a repainting fix.

Last edited by Grndsprt19; 06-07-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z
I think it's definitely a panel rubbing issue. Dealer fixed mine as a requirement for purchase and it is flawless now (was a very slight crack/peel in the paint right in that corner where the hood/quarter/bumper meet on the driver's side). However, when the bumper was re-installed, it was flush with the quarter, hood, and headlight which is why I took deliver thinking everything was great. After driving it home 40ish miles that corner of the bumper cover raised itself up just about 1/16" compared to the surrounding body panels. You can push it back down and hear it rub on the surrounding panels. I'm convinced that rubbing is how it likely cracked the paint in the corner in the first place. I'm not sure if I should try to get it re-adjusted or let it be since it won't rub where it's at right now. Passenger side is perfectly flush.
Rubbing is part of the issue, but the other part is paint adhesion. If you see other issues where two painted items are rubbing against each other, you'll see the paint is only removed from the areas that are touching. In these C7 instances, you can see the paint chipping off well past the parts that are actually touching, this demonstrates that there is a paint adhesion issue as well.

Quick Reply: Brand new Corvette, but paint defect