Sponsored by:

How many trust Carfax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Default How many trust Carfax?

Several years ago, I had about $500 damage on a company vehicle. Rather than report to my employer, I took care of it myself at a local body shop. I also bought a new Honda Accord. It was only two weeks old, and a deer ran into the Accord when my wife was driving it. It was a $2,500 claim, and repaired at a local body shop. A year or so after the two accidents, I looked them up on Carfax. Neither of them were listed as having ANY damage. It really makes me wonder how accurate Carfax really is.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Nope. Not in the least. The shop that had my car said it was up to me if I wanted the damage reported.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aerovette:
Glennm27 (06-05-2019), rogergcam (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm pissed at my shop. I had to get the rear fascia re painted due to some small damage and they reported it as damage to rear.
Sometimes they report crap and sometimes they don't.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Car fax only lists incidents reported by insurance companies. If you took care of your $500 incident on your own at a local body shop how would you expect CarFax to know about it.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Several years ago, I had about $500 damage on a company vehicle. Rather than report to my employer, I took care of it myself at a local body shop. I also bought a new Honda Accord. It was only two weeks old, and a deer ran into the Accord when my wife was driving it. It was a $2,500 claim, and repaired at a local body shop. A year or so after the two accidents, I looked them up on Carfax. Neither of them were listed as having ANY damage. It really makes me wonder how accurate Carfax really is.
Carfax gets 95% of their damage reports from police reports. If you didn't have an accident report filed by the police it won't show up. Some shops and most new car dealers give Carfax access to their service records.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Carfax gets 95% of their damage reports from police reports. If you didn't have an accident report filed by the police it won't show up. Some shops and most new car dealers give Carfax access to their service records.

I would have to respectfully refute your police report theory. If that was true, then why do some carfax reports show oil changes and other dealer maintenance? Thats obviously not a police involved situation.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My take on it is as said above: it's only as good as the reporting. And if the reporting isn't universal meaning all-inclusive, then the report is of lesser value. But, I combine it with an AutoCheck, and in the case of Corvette the VIS from a dealer svce. dept. For other makes, you may have to rely on an "expert"---someone who knows what the car should look like and how it should perform because they work on it every day.

I saw some interesting references on CF where potential buyers were looking under the car at nuts that were painted to see if the paint was gone and the sharp edges were slightly rounded. Their logic was that some of these shouldn't have to be touched and if they were, something happened (changed, swapped out, replaced, etc.). And actually, I've seen a Corvette tech going over a car for me in Michigan do approximately the same thing and that was many years ago. Of course the car only had 6K miles on it, but it was nine years old.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

I trust Carfax as much as I trust any other entity that's dependent on gathering information reported by multiple sources regardless whether it's accurate or not.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

When you take your car in for servicing they report that to carfax as well. Well when i pulled my carfax for my car they did. I ended up getting the unlimited reports for a month because I was looking at used cars at one point and so i was curious. All my cars i had owned had service records reported.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

almost 20 years ago, I purchased a 1985 Corvette that showed to have 68,000 miles on it. This model still had the old black numbers that rolled over, and was not tied into any computer. I did not do a carfax on the car as it was not really a whole lot of money to begin with (maybe 6 or 7k)... but later on, I did see a carfax and found that someone replaced the cluster with one that had lower miles, and it reported 'rollback detected'. The car had over 100,000 miles at the time I purchased it, and it had the Texas safety inspection done a few days before I purchased it, so I figured it was likely the dealer that sold it to me. Upon seeing this, I contacted the used car dealer that sold it to me, and he denied knowing anything about it. But a few days later, carfax mysteriously had the high mileage events removed and no rollback was mentioned any more.

Even when events are there, it seems it's not a problem to remove them.

I also was the second owner of my GS, and carfax had trouble determining the number of owners between the trade in that was out of state, and subsequent auction, and then dealer selling it here... for some reason they showed me as the third owner. I emailed them and told them when I actually bought it and that I was the second owner, and they replied with something like, ok we fixed it. And then I checked, and they have it as two owner now.

While I think it's a good tool to use when purchasing a car, it has to be taken with a grain of salt and understood that it's not perfect.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I trust Carfax as much as I trust any other entity that's dependent on gathering information reported by multiple sources regardless whether it's accurate or not.

This. As I always say: Carfax isn't the END of your pre-purchase due diligence, but it is a valuable START of that process. It would be utterly foolish to rely on only ONE source of information during your pre-purchase.

Nope, CARFAX isn't 100% reliable, but I damn sure wouldn't buy a car without seeing it as *part* of my research.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kent1999:
bucker2 (06-07-2019), doublenut9 (06-06-2019), Kevin A Jones (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Just because Carfax and/or Autocheck don't report minor repairs paid for outside of the insurance system doesn't mean the documents are worthless. They are valuable for what they report. However, minor accidents, repaired outside of the insurance system and don't have a police report may not be found in Carfax or Autocheck. SO WHAT.
Is there anyone here who honestly believes that all new cars are virgins never seeing the body repair person before being sold. Wow have you got a lot to learn.
IMHO it only matters if the damage is so severe that it could affect functionality. I'm not going to get excited because somebody backed into a mailbox and had to have a dent removed.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I use it as a resource, but I realize that not all accidents are reported to them and therefore the CarFax may be incomplete. It always pays to have the car thoroughly inspected before a purchase is made.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
doublenut9 (06-06-2019), jdk541 (07-17-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:12 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Hate Carfax! Car was in for a warranty repair last year, noticed it showed as "damage" on the carfax. Dealer owns 50% of this issue for reporting it as such. In any event, I emailed them, had to send the dealer receipt to prove it wasn't damage and it was removed. Fairly painless, but why! Seriously flawed system, as they say garbage in - garbage out. I was lucky enough to catch it now, this would of really sucked if first noticed during a sale. They treat it like a credit report, they are simply not there yet.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I had a new Audi that was rear ended with over 4 thousand in damages. My Audi dealer did the collision work and it went through the other drivers insurance. After I traded the car two years later on another Audi it was listed with a clean carfax. I checked the carfax myself and it showed all the service work along with the mileage when it was done. There was no mention of any accident or repair. Like many bull crap stuff today carfax is just another tool that gets abused and used improperly.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

CarFax is just a tool, you could total a car, if your shop does not report it, most do not, the car will show 100% clean CarFax.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Carrot Top
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I use Carfax but don't expect it to be 100% accurate. I have purchased a car that was clean to find out years later there was a delayed report added to it.

Get notified of new replies

To How many trust Carfax?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Carfax is a tool that only benefits car dealers it seems. Make sure you check your Carfax periodically. It is very inaccurate it seems. I had a car where tge door was backed into, it it was properly repaired. $3k damage. Carfax had it as extensive damage, towed from scene, all untrue. It fell upon md to fike a dispute and proof before tgey would correct, which I did. A year later I went to trade and one dealer was knocking off $7k on the trade. Needless to say I didnt, but dealers love this. I am unclear how if you have a mechanical issue repaired properly, no lost value, but any body work done properly and it can kill a deal. Before Carfax an appraiser would look at a car and if fixed properly, no lost value. I have learned, if the damage on a car is under $2k, eat and pay for it as most bodymen wont put it to Carfax if you pay rather than an insurance company.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

No, if nothing reported, due diligence is needed.
Yes, if something reported, leading one to the exact area to inspect.

FWIW Still awaiting insurance industry to recognize Car Fax et al as a detriment to value
and start realizing diminished value is a large monetary issue.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Obviously carfax isn't going to have all the information on all cars, so when you check one, don't assume that because nothing is listed that nothing ever happened to the vehicle. At the same time, it might have info on the vehicle you are considering that will affect your decision, so it's definitely a useful tool, just don't assume it knows all about every single car.

Quick Reply: How many trust Carfax?