Carbon Fiber or Carbon Flash Aero

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber or Carbon Flash Aero

I'm doing some last minute tweaking of a prospective order and I'm deciding whether to go Carbon Fiber or Carbon Flash for my Stage 2 Aero. Would anyone that has the Carbon Fiber version care to chime in?

For my last two Z06's, I had Carbon Flash and selected it for this build. I'm just looking to get the opinion of others.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

I've got the exposed carbon fiber and love it. After having it I can't imagine going back to carbon flash painted parts. The only thing I do not like about it is worrying about damage as the parts are very expensive to replace.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

Visible carbon fiber aero parts is definitely a sexy look --- but repair response options are pretty limited. If scraped or damaged, carbon flash is an easy repair/repaint. For visible carbon fiber, though, pretty much the only response option that you have is total replacement. Because of cost concerns, you could elect to forego replacement damaged visible carbon fiber parts and address the damage in the same way you would with damaged carbon flash parts (repair/repaint) --- but any similar parts (ex. opposing rocker panel) would have to be switched over as well. Worth noting: the front splitter is going to take a beating over time just from kicked up road debris.

After obsessing over what to do to maintain these parts if damaged or scraped, I went the carbon flash.route on all of my (Stage III) aero parts even though I really like the visible carbon fiber appearance.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 06-07-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

I'd opt for carbon flash simply because if I go exposed carbon on the aero I would then want to change all the stock carbon flash on the car to exposed as well to make it all work, especially the spoiler. It gets pretty expensive once you go down that rabbit hole.

If you can avoid the need to make it all match and you don't mind the extra cost, go for it.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

My vote is Carbon Fiber.
The following users liked this post:
purple heart (08-06-2020)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:10 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Carbon fiber, no question.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:37 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Damn, guys... I was hoping it would be unanimous one way or the other, not ~50/50.

Update though, I added carbon flash mirrors and black brake rotors. (The car will be LBR with chrome wheels)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

i got carbon fiber because it was "free" on the lot vette i bought. It is so low key, only a vette aficionado will notice it. if I had ordered, i would have saved the grand cause I still was on the hook since i wanted z07. now i am looking at those skid plate options to "protect" the expensive carbon fiber. The "pit" just keeps dragging you in.

i bought ebay fiberglas side skirts for my old z51, had them painted to match at the dealer, THOUSANDS cheaper and a unique look rarely seen.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

<deleted>

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 07-27-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,280 Likes on 13,958 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I share the same concerns as others that have posted about the repair of carbon fiber should it get damaged. When I added side skirts to my car, I went with carbon flash to match the rest of the painted accent pieces on the car.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:17 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

I went all carbon flash because all my trim and mirrors were already that color. But if money was no issue I would do all carbon fiber aero and trim. Looks amazing
Old 06-08-2019, 02:00 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
I went all carbon flash because all my trim and mirrors were already that color. But if money was no issue I would do all carbon fiber aero and trim. Looks amazing
I'm beginning to think that way. With carbon-flash mirrors and black brake calipers, I'm starting to think that the flash would more closely match.
LuisZ51 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
As I noted in another post, I'm starting to think that way. What with the flash mirrors and black brake calipers...
Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Would you tell me more about those skid plate options? I do not believe I've heard about them before.

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
i got carbon fiber because it was "free" on the lot vette i bought. It is so low key, only a vette aficionado will notice it. if I had ordered, i would have saved the grand cause I still was on the hook since i wanted z07. now i am looking at those skid plate options to "protect" the expensive carbon fiber. The "pit" just keeps dragging you in.

i bought ebay fiberglas side skirts for my old z51, had them painted to match at the dealer, THOUSANDS cheaper and a unique look rarely seen.

Last edited by GreenGA; 06-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Mike1320
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I qualify as a curmudgeon so take that into account, plus this is my OPINION. It is neither right nor wrong, I expect to get flamed for it anyway. To me (see the underlined and bolded word in the first sentence) carbon fiber looks incomplete at the least. At worst it looks tacky. On a race car (not a track day car) saving weight by not painting a CF part is necessary. On a street car it looks (to me, see above) like somebody is posing. Dare I say the dreaded word, ricer? It reminds me of a flat black hood on clapped out four door Civic.

Can't wait to see the responses. Not even hiding under a chair.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Exia
I'd opt for carbon flash simply because if I go exposed carbon on the aero I would then want to change all the stock carbon flash on the car to exposed as well to make it all work, especially the spoiler. It gets pretty expensive once you go down that rabbit hole.

If you can avoid the need to make it all match and you don't mind the extra cost, go for it.
I agree with the above, however it totally personal preference. Personally, I like the carbon flash look and how all items blend it. Go with what you like.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,677 Likes on 5,587 Posts

How was it 'free'?

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber or Carbon Flash Aero

Old 06-09-2019, 11:29 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I would like to thank everyone who responded in public and in private...

Based on the feedback and my opting for the carbon flash mirrors and black brake calipers, I decided on the carbon flash. My thinking is if I were to go with the carbon fiber it wiuld clash with the carbon flash of the mirrors and calipers.

To get my carbon fiber fix, I selected the carbon fiber dash and the carbon fiber tonneau covers (I sure hope they're the same finish ). I will also install the carbon fiber console and tail. These should tie the interior together like the carbon flash will do the same thing for the exterior.
LuisZ51 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGA
I would like to thank everyone who responded in public and in private...

Based on the feedback and my opting for the carbon flash mirrors and black brake calipers, I decided on the carbon flash. My thinking is if I were to go with the carbon fiber it wiuld clash with the carbon flash of the mirrors and calipers.

To get my carbon fiber fix, I selected the carbon fiber dash and the carbon fiber tonneau covers (I sure hope they're the same finish ). I will also install the carbon fiber console and tail. These should tie the interior together like the carbon flash will do the same thing for the exterior.
Great choice! This is exactly what I'm planning. Do the interior in carbon fiber and leave the outside in flash as it is.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:54 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenGA
Just throwing my 2 cents out there - it doesn't clash. You could also Xpel the splitter and skirts. Flash looks good but visible carbon is even better on these.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber or Carbon Flash Aero