Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Show me.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
Show me.
Park a late 2018 or any 2019 next to an earlier car and look down the sides of the car. The new ones are way flatter. They robotically sand all the panels other than the bumpers. They have better electrostatic primer and new sprayer heads all optimized to paint composite panels. Composites are much harder to paint than metal. They did a nice presentation at the bash in 2018.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Like I said above, "If they really did spend $400 million on a paint facility, and the cars still look like this, then they are just plain stupid." You can try to justify the issue all you want.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-08-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:30 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Like I said above, "If they really did spend $400 million on a paint facility, and the cars still look like this, then they are just plain stupid." You can try to justify the issue all you want.
No... it's ******* pathetic they haven't fixed it with the supplier or added a step to the process of cleaning the fascias. But you said a new facility doesn't exist.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

So you agree they are just plain stupid, thanks.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:15 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I think I'm gonna be sick... giving up my (now) perfect 16 to dealer with a possible "bubbler" is a nightmare.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM
kloudin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to the paint peeling on right hand side of fascia list....2019 Z06. GM will fix it but the catch is you have to take it to the body shop that the dealer uses and if you don't like that body shop then tough.

Last edited by kloudin; 07-08-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Tadge don't care, and it's not an engineering issue anyway. The plant manager and plant workers don't care, and the dealers don't care. Hello Kerbeck, McMaulkin, Chriswell, show us that you care. Hope you respond. This has been going on since the first 2014 was delivered. Just ask "jagamajajaran" His yellow 14 Stingray was the worst example of a factory painted car that I ever saw. See post #11. The new paint shop was a lie. Retooling the assembly line was a lie. Nothing ever changed. They were expanding the factory getting ready for C8 production, we all know that now.
When you see the amount of cars we see each year, we usually see any problems that pop up. We are in constant communication with GM and Bowling Green. In fact, there have been numerous times that GM has sent engineers here to look at our inventory since there's no where else they can see so many cars and cars with such a variety of build dates. I can tell you that I haven't seen this problem return on any cars painted in the new shop but have seen people here talk about it so it must be happening again. I'm not sure what kind of response you are looking for to show that I care, but most of my customers here as well as many who I have helped who are not my customers can tell you that I do care about the Corvette community. I will reach out to my contacts to see if there are a nigh number of these events happening again and what is being done about it. I may not hear back right away since today is the first day back after the 2 week shutdown.

Dave
The following 8 users liked this post by Dave@Ciocca:
Joe C5 C2 (07-08-2019), joemessman (07-08-2019), need-for-speed (08-01-2019), NinjaBum (07-08-2019), proexpert (07-08-2019), RapidC84B (07-08-2019), ShadowGray19 (07-08-2019), Virtual Geezer (07-09-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
When you see the amount of cars we see each year, we usually see any problems that pop up. We are in constant communication with GM and Bowling Green. In fact, there have been numerous times that GM has sent engineers here to look at our inventory since there's no where else they can see so many cars and cars with such a variety of build dates. I can tell you that I haven't seen this problem return on any cars painted in the new shop but have seen people here talk about it so it must be happening again. I'm not sure what kind of response you are looking for to show that I care, but most of my customers here as well as many who I have helped who are not my customers can tell you that I do care about the Corvette community. I will reach out to my contacts to see if there are a nigh number of these events happening again and what is being done about it. I may not hear back right away since today is the first day back after the 2 week shutdown.

Dave
I recently walked the lot at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas, where they had about 40 or more Corvette's on the lot. While waiting for my car to get serviced, I walked by all of them, and at least 1/3 of them had paint chipping at the bumper where it meets the headlight. Oddly enough, it seemed that most of them all had it on the drivers side for whatever reason.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

On these latest 2019 cars, it is consistently in the same spot on the bumper which is made from different material than the hood and fender panels I tend to agree with one person who posted that the problem is with the supplier of the bumper. The idea that this is caused by rubbing panels is not likely. First the paint chips are not in the actual contact area where the fender panel is in actual contact with the bumper. They are peeling where you can see them which you could not do where there is component to component rubbing. Second these panels are supposed to have no gaps because they are fixed panels. Only a panel that moves in relation to another panel like a hood, hatch or doors is supposed to have gaps.

GM needs to investigate and correct this and they need to offer a lifetime transferrable warranty on this issue. Nothing less is acceptable to my way of thinking. The best word I can use is "pathetic"

Last edited by Frosty; 07-08-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The C7 unresolved paint problems are history to GM, now they can start with a new set of problems with the C8.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
Yeah. That is where I bought mine in Feb and it had the paint issue (see my thread at the following link: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stingray.html ) My bad that I did not inspect the car more closely before doing the deal. However, they had to know about this problem and made no attempt to point it out to me or repair before selling. Very sad because I had purchased my 2015 from them as well and actually trusted them. Before this occurred, I would have told you, they had the best sales organization I had ever encountered in buying 90 cars and trucks over 50 years. I was absolutely wrong about that. Very disappointing. .
I agree, bought 6 cars from them and until the latest my 2019 I would have to say the same you said that until now they had the best sales organization. My salesperson no longer works there, wonder why as he was great and cared for the customer. The service dept and body shop are still great, they care about the customer.Hopefully the sales dept will go back the way they were really good and caring for the customer but doubtful.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:24 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

My 2014 $24K Jetta or my 2015 $22K Beetle have better paint than my 2015 C7Z AW, also better than my 2010 V2 BR,,, my 2005 C6 MSM is the best GM paint I have owned.
The 2015-2018 GM paint guys took too many beer and weed breaks.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 PM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
When you see the amount of cars we see each year, we usually see any problems that pop up. We are in constant communication with GM and Bowling Green. In fact, there have been numerous times that GM has sent engineers here to look at our inventory since there's no where else they can see so many cars and cars with such a variety of build dates. I can tell you that I haven't seen this problem return on any cars painted in the new shop but have seen people here talk about it so it must be happening again. I'm not sure what kind of response you are looking for to show that I care, but most of my customers here as well as many who I have helped who are not my customers can tell you that I do care about the Corvette community. I will reach out to my contacts to see if there are a nigh number of these events happening again and what is being done about it. I may not hear back right away since today is the first day back after the 2 week shutdown. Dave
Hard to imagine that you have not seen the problem with your inventory given the reports from forum members who have looked at the inventory on the lots of various dealers and have found a significant percentage of cars sitting on the lot with the issue. However, the fact that you posted as you have on this forum and are willing to look into the issue speaks volumes. It would be nice if the sales contacts from other sponsoring dealerships did the same (Stingray Chevrolet in FL for example). The fact that you are monitoring the forum and care is huge. I will be calling you when I am ready to trade my 2019 1LT on a 1LZ ZO6 (I am actually close to ready right now). I will wait to see what you come up with on this issue. I do not want another car with the same problem. I consider a good paint job a BASIC expectation when purchasing any new car or truck. My 2019 1LT is the first car out of many in recent years that has not met that expectation.

Last edited by ShadowGray19; 07-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve2150 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 PM
gixerking
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Add me, ordered the car and have had it just over 1 week. 2019, June production

Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Steve2150
Racer

Originally Posted by gixerking

Wow, most saying that caused by the panels too tight rubbing but yours looks like a big enough gap to not have rubbing. The dealers sales depts don't really care since after they are bought their body shops do the work and charge Chevrolet. Chevrolet at Bowling Green should try to find out what is causing it as it is always in the same spot.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Steve2150
Racer

Originally Posted by gixerking

Wow, most saying that caused by the panels too tight rubbing but yours looks like a big enough gap to not have rubbing. The dealers sales depts don't really care since after they are bought their body shops do the work and charge Chevrolet. Chevrolet at Bowling Green should try to find out what is causing it as it is always

in the same spot.

Get notified of new replies

To Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes

Old 07-08-2019, 09:13 PM
gixerking
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2150
Wow, most saying that caused by the panels too tight rubbing but yours looks like a big enough gap to not have rubbing. The dealers sales depts don't really care since after they are bought their body shops do the work and charge Chevrolet. Chevrolet at Bowling Green should try to find out what is causing it as it is always in the same spot.

Rubbing could definitely add to the problem, but it is not the primary cause. Mine also has the driver window so out of alignment it sits behind the corner window when you just get the door close to closing. Closing it, it will then wedge against it and make it hard to open, then it goes “thunk” when you get it open. Car going in on Wednesday so we see what they about the paint then.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks like there may be a problem with how the front fascia sits on the rack to hold it while being painted and drying. Looks like the paint is flowing to a low point which looks to be the driver's side corner. Does the paint shop paint the front fascia or does the manufacturer of it?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:27 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

i think the other member saying it's a vendor issue with their mold... the same spot? maybe that's an area that is a support while the adhesion promoter is applied (you would hope not because that would be quite moronic not to be on the bottom?)...

Has to be...

or there's a silver back gorilla on the line man handling the heck out the driver's side of the fascias.. i mean what else could it possibly be?

Dave. I'm less than 45 minutes from your dealership. would you mind if i looked for myself? i cannot believe all these pics and stories and the largest inventory in the world has no issues.. that really makes zero sense... have you gone over each one and checked?

Quick Reply: Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes