Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's not possible... the bumper just slips into a plastic joint bracket that's bolted to the fender.... there is no tightening or loosening of the joint as it is determined by the design of the plastic bracket.
Don't you just love these uninformed dealers? Kinda sad isn't it?
The following 2 users liked this post by rmorin1249:
RapidC84B (07-11-2019), Steve2150 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion is not rubbing of the panels as I have seen some on the lot with a good gap. Also why always in the same spot on drivers side and not passenger side. I think it is a problem where the paint is not sticking to the panel. A good example in my house the interior doors were originally painted in oil based paint, when I tried painting them with water based paint it peeled exactly like the front fascia drivers side.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2150
My opinion is not rubbing of the panels as I have seen some on the lot with a good gap. Also why always in the same spot on drivers side and not passenger side. I think it is a problem where the paint is not sticking to the panel. A good example in my house the interior doors were originally painted in oil based paint, when I tried painting them with water based paint it peeled exactly like the front fascia drivers side.
My 17 GS had the issue on both passenger and driver's sides.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 PM
gixerking
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's not possible... the bumper just slips into a plastic joint bracket that's bolted to the fender.... there is no tightening or loosening of the joint as it is determined by the design of the plastic bracket.

Yeah I have no clue, just what they said. I will ask some more questions when it goes in.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z
Had it in the same spot on my 19 Z. Dealer fixed it prior to delivery and it looks perfect now but I think it is body panels rubbing together. I don't think the paint is the issue, it is when they put the panels on the car after they've been painted the rubbing causes that paint to peel/crack. If the paint isn't totally cured when they put the panels on I could also see the paint from the bumper cover sticking to the paint on the quarter panel. Then when a panel moves the paint will tear off of one or the other.

My bumper cover in that corner now sticks up about 1/16" compared to the quarter panel and headlight. If you try to push it flush it rubs badly on the quarter so I'm leaving it alone until I can figure out if there is some kind of an adjustment to be made on the way the bumper cover is mounted. The driver's side is flush and no rubbing between those panels.
Your talking about front fenders, not quarter panels right?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I hope the C8 has paint chips on the first day. GM deserves what they get. The biggest Corvette dealer denies the issue exists on his lot, claims the cars have to be driven first. Hey Dave, that means the cars have an issue, but since you can't see the issue, you won't help us. Nice. Did you read the first post in this thread? Do you think 4 of 6 cars on a dealer lot were test driven enough miles to cause paint chipping. Seriously Dave, you are just wrong to deny the issue. I think I'm gonna drive to Atlantic City and see for myself. Also Dave, read post 128.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve2150 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 PM
jh225
Le Mans Master

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by proexpert
I think I'm gonna drive to Atlantic City and see for myself.
Now that would be an interesting read..........
Steve2150 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I was at the Corvette Bash this year and their 2019 Z06 car they were displaying had the chips around the front wheel vent that has shown up on my 2016 and 2018 Z06. I pointed them out and they had a painter from the plant talk to me and this ******* told me that this was the first time the paint shop had heard of this. The proof was staring him right in the face. What a bunch of liars. I am getting the C8 and if I have paint problems like I have had with my last two then I am done with Corvette.
Comments Dave from Kerbeck? You really think this is not an issue? You deny it. The plant denies it. Yet they bring a flawed car to the bash. Do you really think we are that stupid? WE ARE CAR GUYS. Should I go to the Nissan/Honda/Toyota/Kia dealers and look for paint chips? Guess what, there isn't any, do you know why? Call me an ******* if you must, and I am, so be it. I want the issue fixed. Please read post #128.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-12-2019 at 10:52 AM.
robertbruce (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Not possible. We get the VIN for the car before its built so they couldn't do that.

I'm sticking with my guess that the panels don't rub enough to peel the paint until you start driving the car. Sitting on the lot with 3 miles on it has no reason to peel.

Dave
I will show you photos of other cars with 3 miles that have paint chips including VIN numbers and dealer names. Please read post #128.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-12-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM
davedog1950
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its Time to clean house!

Its a shame this crap is going for years 16-19 model years (ITS like nobody cares).Fire the person running the plant,the inspectors are a joke I would even let them clean the toilet bowels!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davedog1950
Its a shame this crap is going for years 16-19 model years (ITS like nobody cares).Fire the person running the plant,the inspectors are a joke I would even let them clean the toilet bowels!!!
It's a terrible shame.

14-19 model years. Safe to say Chevy is not able to manufacture this car well ever.

The picture below is from model year 14, car belonged to forum member "jagamajajaran" I bet you can't find a Nissan painted like this anywhere. Please read post #128.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Pathetic. Threads like this (A8 issues, bent/cracked wheels) that GM seems to ignore leaves me shaking my head in disgust.
To all you guys jumping on the C8 bandwagon in the first year, all I can say is good luck with that. And I mean that sincerely.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

I will show you photos of other cars with 3 miles that have paint chips including VIN numbers and dealer names. Please read post #128.
I've never once denied that it was happening and I don't know why you want to attack me. I said It must take some time to happen. I'd be curious where the cars were with 3 miles. If they were west coast cars they have over 1,000 miles on rails which is as bad or worse than driving as far as vibrations. If they are not west coast cars then I don't know what to say but I haven't seen it on a car in stock yet. We've also delivered over 1200 cars out of the new paint shop and I can only think of one customer who told me they had the problem in that was in the spring of 2018 and he saw it when he got home driving from NJ to AZ. So, I'm sure people are having problems, but I can tell you we are not delivering the cars with the problem here.

Dave
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I'm addicted to Corvettes, but I'll be waiting for the fall out, if any, on the C8 before I step up to the plate. I try to be positive, but after reading the posts here it really makes you wonder what the GM honchos are thinking. They know these issues are ongoing and seem not to put measures in place to remedy the situation. I realize not all folks have paint issues, etc. But it is obvious it is a significant amount of owners. I feel like I went through a minefield unscathed. I consider myself very fortunate so far.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Virtual Geezer (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Is there a final quality inspection before they leave the factory ? Where is the wonderful plant manager and he is not aware of these on going problems and what GM needs are management changes or the C8 will eat up all the profits with quality problems. Get the shovels out for all the GM BS at the C8 introduction.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
I've never once denied that it was happening and I don't know why you want to attack me. I said It must take some time to happen. I'd be curious where the cars were with 3 miles. If they were west coast cars they have over 1,000 miles on rails which is as bad or worse than driving as far as vibrations. If they are not west coast cars then I don't know what to say but I haven't seen it on a car in stock yet. We've also delivered over 1200 cars out of the new paint shop and I can only think of one customer who told me they had the problem in that was in the spring of 2018 and he saw it when he got home driving from NJ to AZ. So, I'm sure people are having problems, but I can tell you we are not delivering the cars with the problem here.

Dave
Dave, I apologize to you. No excuses from me. I look at your inventory online every day since 1999, yep for 20 years. I love Corvettes. I just wanted someone to help us get the issue fixed. I think the car is beautiful and it's such a shame to see photos like those in this thread. I called out 3 big dealers thinking that since you guys sell a bunch of Corvettes, that maybe you had some pull with the manufacturing folks. I'm moving on from this, I promise. No more obsession about stupid paint chips. Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Dave, I apologize to you. No excuses from me. I look at your inventory online every day since 1999, yep for 20 years. I love Corvettes. I just wanted someone to help us get the issue fixed. I think the car is beautiful and it's such a shame to see photos like those in this thread. I called out 3 big dealers thinking that since you guys sell a bunch of Corvettes, that maybe you had some pull with the manufacturing folks. I'm moving on from this, I promise. No more obsession about stupid paint chips. Thanks for your replies.
I get it and no worries. I'm still working in it for you guys!

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes

Old 07-13-2019, 08:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Dave you see any of these?

that's right front of a 19 yellow on another lot. Brand new. The only other C7 there was orange and was perfect. But this one? Wth....

I swear this is so disappointing. I have one on order (not with you) and it comes in like this? I'm not taking the car. I will not put up with this kind of nonsense (again).

Misaligned. Some type of ppf stuck in there... was this already pulled off and fixed? And reassembled like this. I mean come on man 100k car... unacceptable.

My daughter's 20k jetta has better build quality. Company is really gonna need to step up.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Dave you see any of these?

that's right front of a 19 yellow on another lot. Brand new. The only other C7 there was orange and was perfect. But this one? Wth....

I swear this is so disappointing. I have one on order (not with you) and it comes in like this? I'm not taking the car. I will not put up with this kind of nonsense (again).

Misaligned. Some type of ppf stuck in there... was this already pulled off and fixed? And reassembled like this. I mean come on man 100k car... unacceptable.

My daughter's 20k jetta has better build quality. Company is really gonna need to step up.
Send you a PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:43 PM
IsWeHavingFunYet?
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I had this issue on my certified used 2016. After the 3/36 BTB warranty the GM Certified Used warranty will NOT COVER trim and paint. After I gave the dealer body shop manager the TSB covering the 2017, they agreed to cover it.

Quick Reply: Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes