Sponsored by:

Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:31 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert

Camo hides the paint chips on this model ...

Thread finished...congratulations sir, you have won the Internet!
The following users liked this post:
Steve2150 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:32 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by IsWeHavingFunYet?
I had this issue on my certified used 2016. After the 3/36 BTB warranty the GM Certified Used warranty will NOT COVER trim and paint. After I gave the dealer body shop manager the TSB covering the 2017, they agreed to cover it.
BTW...would you provide the TSB number you're referencing?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 239 Posts

17-NA-355, according to the PDF included in an earlier post in this thread.. for the model years 2017 and 2018.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Thread finished...congratulations sir, you have won the Internet!
Thanks, anything to keep the thread on the first page is good.

Last edited by proexpert; 07-14-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 PM
davedog1950
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ITs a shame they just don't seem to CARE good luck with the C-8
Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

So after working tons of overtime and saving up, I had enough of a down-payment to make the monthly payments (semi)-sane. Ordered a 2018 GS Vert Admiral Blue/white stripe, red hashmarks, M7. Even splurged on the Museum Delivery option since this was highly-likely the last new car I'd buy before retirement. (I'm a nurse) When we picked up the car in January 2018 at the museumI was easily the happiest guy in the world. (Even posted a long review of my experience on here with tons of photos.) Car was incredibly beautiful, and I got compliments on it (and people taking phone pictures of it as we drove down the road) every time it was out of the garage. I was so **** about this car it got washed and waxed nearly every time it was driven. So imagine my heartbreak two weeks ago (at 10,000 miles) when a big area of paint started flaking off on the driver's side front fascia in the same spot as all the other cars with this problem. I called the dealership where I purchased the car, and was informed that GM was being rather firm in only wanting to paint the front fascia to correct the problem. To me, that's just not an option, it won't match up properly, at least not to the extent that this ****-retentive owner would accept. Trade in on my car was 62K, which wasn't bad considering I only paid 70, but I wasn't willing to trade it in and roll the dice whether the next Vette would do the same thing. So KBB.com has an instant cash offer you can click. They'd pay 59K for my car, so I said screw it GM, I'm done. I'll still lurk here and watch to see how GM handles the myriad quality issues that will invariably arise with the new C8. But I can't truly say I'll lay down this type of money again on a car where paint just flakes off and they want to spot-paint it. Good luck to everyone with their beloved Corvettes, and thanks to all the forum members for their answers to the many questions I had prior to and during my ownership. I miss that car dearly, but will just start saving my money for whatever I end up doing a year or two from now.

Last edited by Blue666's; 07-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^ Sorry to hear that! I know it can be frustrating, but it seems a extreme to me to not at least give a repaint a shot first before selling off a car you seemed to really enjoy. Good luck to you.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 616 Posts

^^^Sorry to hear than Blue666 but I can certainly identify with it. Years ago I had so many problem with a certain German sports car that I can't imagine going back. Lots of fun options out there, so hope It works out.

On a technical note, I am surprised that it showed up so late. Until now, the cases I heard of appeared way sooner.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blue666's
So after working tons of overtime and saving up, I had enough of a down-payment to make the monthly payments (semi)-sane. Ordered a 2018 GS Vert Admiral Blue/white stripe, red hashmarks, M7. Even splurged on the Museum Delivery option since this was highly-likely the last new car I'd buy before retirement. (I'm a nurse) When we picked up the car in January 2018 at the museumI was easily the happiest guy in the world. (Even posted a long review of my experience on here with tons of photos.) Car was incredibly beautiful, and I got compliments on it (and people taking phone pictures of it as we drove down the road) every time it was out of the garage. I was so **** about this car it got washed and waxed nearly every time it was driven. So imagine my heartbreak two weeks ago (at 10,000 miles) when a big area of paint started flaking off on the driver's side front fascia in the same spot as all the other cars with this problem. I called the dealership where I purchased the car, and was informed that GM was being rather firm in only wanting to paint the front fascia to correct the problem. To me, that's just not an option, it won't match up properly, at least not to the extent that this ****-retentive owner would accept. Trade in on my car was 62K, which wasn't bad considering I only paid 70, but I wasn't willing to trade it in and roll the dice whether the next Vette would do the same thing. So KBB.com has an instant cash offer you can click. They'd pay 59K for my car, so I said screw it GM, I'm done. I'll still lurk here and watch to see how GM handles the myriad quality issues that will invariably arise with the new C8. But I can't truly say I'll lay down this type of money again on a car where paint just flakes off and they want to spot-paint it. Good luck to everyone with their beloved Corvettes, and thanks to all the forum members for their answers to the many questions I had prior to and during my ownership. I miss that car dearly, but will just start saving my money for whatever I end up doing a year or two from now.
I've been trying to get someone's attention and get the issue resolved, but in the end I looked like an asshat and the hardcore fanboys still deny there is an issue.
Virtual Geezer (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 PM
msdunkel
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
I've never once denied that it was happening and I don't know why you want to attack me. I said It must take some time to happen. I'd be curious where the cars were with 3 miles. If they were west coast cars they have over 1,000 miles on rails which is as bad or worse than driving as far as vibrations. If they are not west coast cars then I don't know what to say but I haven't seen it on a car in stock yet. We've also delivered over 1200 cars out of the new paint shop and I can only think of one customer who told me they had the problem in that was in the spring of 2018 and he saw it when he got home driving from NJ to AZ. So, I'm sure people are having problems, but I can tell you we are not delivering the cars with the problem here.

Dave
I'm in the market for a new sports car, probably a Porsche or Corvette. I really appreciate the way you handled yourself in this thread and from an outsider view (I have owned GM products for 25 straight years but never a 'vette) its great having part of the machine willing to take daggers and still try and get something done. If I pick the 'vette I'll definitely give your lot a look.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 AM
R1crusher
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had our '17 Admiral Blue GS bumpers painted due to the paint chipping where they meet the fenders/quarters. I provided all the information found on here (thanks to all those who posted that information) and they repainted them no questions asked. Now my bigger issue is that I have invested thousands of dollars in paint correction, PPF and ceramic coating the car. I have asked for full reimbursement to cover the costs to have this reapplied which GM should do because they couldn't fix a 4 plus year running issue. If the fix is a piece of Mylar between the bumper and fender/quarter panel....THEN DO IT IN PRODUCTION AND FIX THE ISSUE.
Virtual Geezer (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

These were photographed Sunday, July 14 at a local dealership.

New 2019 Z06 -- Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic

New 2019 Z06 -- black (White specs are dust.)

New 2019 Grand Sport -- Shadow Gray Metallic
Old 07-16-2019, 03:23 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Has anyone with this problem had the paint chip airbrushed? I had my 18 Z06 with the paint chip by the front fender vent airbrushed instead of getting the whole panel repainted. Came out great. The hard part is finding a paint shop that does airbrushing.

Last edited by robertbruce; 07-16-2019 at 03:25 AM.
23/C8Z (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
These were photographed Sunday, July 14 at a local dealership.

New 2019 Z06 -- Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic

New 2019 Z06 -- black (White specs are dust.)

New 2019 Grand Sport -- Shadow Gray Metallic
So Dave from Kerbeck claims we all live too far from Kentucky to get perfect cars, and every single car they have for sale is perfect.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Dave you see any of these?

that's right front of a 19 yellow on another lot. Brand new. The only other C7 there was orange and was perfect. But this one? Wth....

I swear this is so disappointing. I have one on order (not with you) and it comes in like this? I'm not taking the car. I will not put up with this kind of nonsense (again).

Misaligned. Some type of ppf stuck in there... was this already pulled off and fixed? And reassembled like this. I mean come on man 100k car... unacceptable.

My daughter's 20k jetta has better build quality. Company is really gonna need to step up.
That's not the paint, that's the protective plastic film that they put between the fender and the hood. That's supposed to stop the paint from peeling. That I have seen and I've seen the film start to peel on some cars but the paint under it was still OK.

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 07-16-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Dave@Ciocca

So Dave from Kerbeck claims we all live too far from Kentucky to get perfect cars, and every single car they have for sale is perfect.
There's no such thing as a perfect car and you've never heard me say so. We sell cars that are a half million dollars or more and if you give me enough time, I'll find a problem with it.

As far as these pictures, it's hard to see in the picture, but is that paint or is that the protecttive plastic film that they put between the fender and hood that is supposed to stop the peel? I've had a few cars where the film started to come off but the paint under it is still OK.

Dave

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 07-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If "cleartastic" is required between panels to prevent peeling GM needs to rethink how these cars are assembled.

Get notified of new replies

To Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes

Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Has anyone with this problem had the paint chip airbrushed? I had my 18 Z06 with the paint chip by the front fender vent airbrushed instead of getting the whole panel repainted. Came out great. The hard part is finding a paint shop that does airbrushing.
Robert,

Me too. And my buddy's white Z06 also had the corner in the fender by the vent airbrushed both cars came out perfect. I was amazed. I was Adamant that the entrie fender not be painted for that small chip on both sides. (Edit* I asked gm to send the new designed smaller vents with tabs on the back version 4.0 according to the plant, in cf not shark gray in case anyone was wondering why the new vents were not gray)

it can be done to perfection. The body shop techs need to be good. My dealer paid them to refinish the entire panels so they could take their time and do just the airbrush (so everyone gets paid for their time which you KNOW is the real issue here).

I lucked out on the fascia as my 2016 is perfect.

Have yet to get down their to look around myself. I'm sure there are cars that aren't but in Dave's defense there are a lot there lol.

Dave, that ppf they shoved in between is probably because that car didn't make it past final inspection (just a guess) so they put a new bumper or touched up that one and inserted that ppf at the plant.

Which I would be shocked if they did because I KNOW the guy in charge of quality control through my issues and met him at carlisle few years ago. Great guy helped with my vents and other things as well as many forum members. But we all have people that either do things or work for us and it happens.

But that alignment of the fascia is atrocious.

Maybe bring your kid to work day?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-16-2019 at 09:17 AM.
robertbruce (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Dave@Ciocca

I agree with the alignment issue and I definitely have cars with the plastic and I have a few that the plastic is peeling, but no peeling paint...yet.

Dave
23/C8Z (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Is the plastic supposed to remain on the car indefinitely?

Quick Reply: Peeling fascia paint still a big problem on 2019 Corvettes