C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking delivery - Which options to purchase?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 AM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Taking delivery - Which options to purchase?

If all goes as planned, I'll be taking delivery of a new 2019 GS 3LT on Friday. I can only guess that when I arrive in the business office, there will be various add-ons that will be pitched to me. Typically, I skip over this step and don't purchase any of these items. However, since this is a Corvette, I'm curious if you feel there are any items, services or plans that are beneficial to have with a new Corvette. I'm guessing the tire/wheel insurance may be a good thing.

I welcome your input.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I recently purchased a used CPO corvette and did not get anything...it was a 2lt Z51. Not sure if you read about the GS and Z06 have wider wheels, different wheels and suspension than a z51. There have been talk about cracked rims. Now, I know forums tend to make an issue occur more often that reality but I think here is something to it. even car and driver had issues. When I purchased mine the Finance person even suggested Tire and rim insurance. I said if I was getting a GS I would get it.

Now, not sure how many claims the insurance would allow or how the process works...you might have to wait weeks before they take action.

I would just look it over well. Make sure the keys work the trunk - heard sometimes this is broken on new cars.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

Yes,,the tire and wheel policy looks like it is a requirement.
The following users liked this post:
p3pilot (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM
TheGadgetGuru
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dyoung
Yes,,the tire and wheel policy looks like it is a requirement.
Thanks!

I've already received an email from a Member who sells this type of insurance and I'll guess it will be at a lower price than from a Chevy dealer. However, I'm wondering if the discount will be worth it as should a problem occur and I've purchased the policy from a dealer, it's my assumption that all sides of the paperwork will be in the dealer's hands vs having to deal with a third party myself. Am I missing something on this? Don't get me wrong, I like saving money. But sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I usually pass on all those offerings, but when I picked up my new Mike Furman delivered Z06 in late May, I decided to take a 3rd party tire and wheel warranty that Criswell Chevrolet was offering. CONGRATS on the new car, too. Post pics when it happens.

Last edited by Null Pointer; 06-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Inspect car for any scratches or damages - esp. to the paint.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, the tire and wheel package does seem like a good thing to consider.

If you are considering an extended warranty, check with other sources for the same plan before you go into the dealership to complete your purchase. That way you have an idea of what pricing options are available.

Also, if you want a PPF installed, see if the dealer has a vendor they work with and what price they offer - compare that to other sources for the install.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:01 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

+2 on the Tire and Wheel Protection, especially because of reported wheel bending or cracking on GS’s and Z06s. Check with Dennis Fichtner or MacMulkin for best price. Doesn’t matter which dealer you buy it from as long as it is GM’s plan.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Regarding a tire and wheel warranty, the question I ask myself is the whether the cost is worthwhile versus replacing all four rims if something does go wrong. My understanding is that a warrantee will typically pay to repair as opposed to replace and repairs are not necessarily a long-term solution. I would just weigh the cost against the chance that something will happen plus what it would cost to replace all four rims with for example a desirable forged set. It may be 2 to 3 times the cost of the warrantee but still worth the risk. I’m not speaking from experience, I’m just sharing my thoughts based on what I’ve read.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
I usually pass on all those offerings, but when I picked up my new Mike Furman delivered Z06 in late May, I decided to take a 3rd party tire and wheel warranty that Criswell Chevrolet was offering. CONGRATS on the new car, too. Post pics when it happens.
How's that work with them shipping to put of state folks? Getting one through them as well. Can you get replacements through local dealer and get reimbursed or do you have to go through the issuing dealer?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

<deleted>

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 07-27-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

<deleted>

Last edited by rogue3standingby; 07-27-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

I see you live near Disney World. Ask the dealer to configure a setting called "Afterblow", which will help keep your AC vents dry and stop that musty smell when you first turn on the car. It turns the AC fan on after you have shut the car down. It requires the tech to use the MDI tool to set it, it is not a customer setting. It is available on most GM vehicles, though few dealers actually know how to turn it on. Anyone living in a humid climate like Florida should have this option turned on. Ask for it to be done during PDI so it doesn't cost you $100 to have done later after your AC ducts smell musty when you first turn on the car.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
Those warranties that are sold in the Finance office are usually offered and serviced by 3rd parties, so not like its just local to that dealer. They are national companies that do those. Usually you just call the company that's servicing the plan, and they give you instructions where to take it. If your local dealer also participates with them, that very well may be where you take it.
Ninja Bum - this is a good summary. I originally asked for the GM tire and wheel warranty, but comparing the two plans, the 3rd party plan seemed like a better deal. I guess I'll find out for sure when the rubber meets the road. Both require replacement with what is on the car as delivered, or as close as possible if not available. That would suck if you ended up with a wheel that doesn't match the others on the car if your style wheels are no longer available from GM. The one I got also covers cosmetic damage to wheels. You call a toll free number or go to a website and get a claim number and go from there. They ask for documentation if the wheel or tire can or cannot be repaired, and why it can't be repaired. Read the fine print and decide.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
Regarding a tire and wheel warranty, the question I ask myself is the whether the cost is worthwhile versus replacing all four rims if something does go wrong. My understanding is that a warrantee will typically pay to repair as opposed to replace and repairs are not necessarily a long-term solution. I would just weigh the cost against the chance that something will happen plus what it would cost to replace all four rims with for example a desirable forged set. It may be 2 to 3 times the cost of the warrantee but still worth the risk. I’m not speaking from experience, I’m just sharing my thoughts based on what I’ve read.
I'm in your camp. I would just buy a reliable set of rims and be done with the worry and inconvenience. And how long does it take to get a wheel if necessary? I'll answer my own question. Too long!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGadgetGuru
Thanks!

I've already received an email from a Member who sells this type of insurance and I'll guess it will be at a lower price than from a Chevy dealer. However, I'm wondering if the discount will be worth it as should a problem occur and I've purchased the policy from a dealer, it's my assumption that all sides of the paperwork will be in the dealer's hands vs having to deal with a third party myself. Am I missing something on this? Don't get me wrong, I like saving money. But sometimes we can be penny wise and pound foolish.
Just make sure that member is selling the genuine GM extended warranty. They are accepted at any dealer in the USA. I suggest that you do not buy a third party extended warranty. The reasons are to numerous to mention. Let's just say I know through experience. Many members here have bought from Dennis Fitchner at Denny Menholt Chev. Also, Mike Furman at Criswell Chevy can give you a good deal also. Either will give you a good deal on the genuine GM warranty. The warranty will be in the GM system, and all the dealer's service dept. has to do is check it out on their computer.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-12-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

In addition to these warranties I would consider GAP insurance if you are financing the car without a large down payment insurance. I would check with your auto insurance company or bank for their plan and cost. The dealer will have one too but may combine it with some other add on.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking delivery - Which options to purchase?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking delivery - Which options to purchase?