Sponsored by:

What battery replacement size for 2017 Corvette Stingray M7

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM
goldend
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Let's not discount the OEM AC Delco. It might not be an AGM, but that bad boy has 770CCA and 120 in reserve. I'm not sure who makes them (US or China), but I believe they have a relationship with either Johnson Controls or Delphi... Exide maybe? I dunno, but the specs on the OEM far exceed many other brands.
Definitely not knocking or discounting the AC Delco 48PG. It is a great battery and was my second choice. Also I believe the AC Delco is manufactured in Saudi Arabia.
Dennis
Old 06-13-2019, 02:08 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

i would stay with AC Delco oem battery.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by goldend
Definitely not knocking or discounting the AC Delco 48PG. It is a great battery and was my second choice. Also I believe the AC Delco is manufactured in Saudi Arabia.
Dennis
Just searched, looks like that is the case! Hmm, ship 45 lb batteries from Saudi?? That is sure not JIT manufacturing/distribution. Johnson Controls also recycles batteries, 1600/hr, 14 million a year in their 700 acre plant in our town! If not managed properly it is a health hazard. Johnson Controls sends the level of lead in the air all around their plant to the State and even have some monitoring data on their website! Leave that to some small outside contractor who mishandles and you're still liable!

Perhaps they will send old ones back to Saudi! Maybe they are getting in the battery business to replace their current oil revenue as cars will be powered by battery!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-13-2019 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
goldend (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:35 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

In the 60s I interviewed for a job at a Delco battery plant. They built two models, the OE one that went straight into cars coming down the assembly line and the consumer model for replacement sales.

What was the difference? The consumer model ran past a little paint roller that highlighted the raised lettering on the side so it would look more impressive on the shelf.

That was it.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
In the 60s I interviewed for a job at a Delco battery plant. They built two models, the OE one that went straight into cars coming down the assembly line and the consumer model for replacement sales.
What was the difference? The consumer model ran past a little paint roller that highlighted the raised lettering on the side so it would look more impressive on the shelf.
That was it.
Do you know what else was significant about these Delco batteries of the 60s?
JerryU (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Do you know what else was significant about these Delco batteries of the 60s?
C'mon, Kevin, don't make us beg.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by goldend
Dennis
sure as hell not buying anything made in saudi arabia. i hate buying anything made in china as it stands, the middle east meanwhile is just going too far.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
C'mon, Kevin, don't make us beg.
They left manufacturer dry (at least ones for retail sale) for acid to activate charge to be filled later. What a mess that was filling those batteries with acid. Smelled like rotten eggs and you were lucky if you had a shirt that wasn't eat up by the end of the day.

Also, the early 60's models were "tar-top" batteries, yes that's right the top was sticky tar. A must have today if correctly restoring and early 60's GM muscle car.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-13-2019 at 10:52 PM.
goldend (06-13-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 03:25 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^^
Yep, remember the required acid fill!

Funny, that a lot of power to charge batteries is now required in battery manufacturing. When our local group toured the Johnson Controls plant and saw a lot of space used to put ~100 batteries in each of ~3 large water bath pools. The power was connected to the posts, the water raised to almost the top and a huge amount of DC current used to charge them.

On another monthly plant tour we had an electrical engineer from the power company describe the massive sub station built primarily for the Johnson Controls plant and to supply other new facilities in that new industrial park. I found one thing of interest was the large relays that shut down power if a short is detected in the power grid system supplied by that sub station. If you notice, sometimes your lights will blink and power goes out for a second or so. Then it comes back on and may do that twice then may shut down or stay on. We were told if a squirrel or tree branch gets across the high voltage wires and causes an excess current surge it shuts off but is quickly turned back on to see if the short cleared (squirrel was disintegrated!) That is done automatically perhaps twice and if the short didn't clear then it is shut down until maintenance folks find the cause and correct it!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-14-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 AM
0Antigravity
Former Vendor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ptran00
Hi,

1. What battery size and make/model of a battery do you all recommend?

2. Has anyone put a lightweight lithium battery such as by Braille in? If so, what model did you buy? Does it work reliably and won't damage the car?

I was told that that these Braille battery sizes fit:

Hi everyone, looks like the lead/acid options have been touched on pretty well in response and we just wanted to let you know about another lithium option that we offer. This is the OEM H6/Group 48 size and would drop right in to the C7's. Outside of the extreme light weight and cranking power advantages it also has it's own BMS (Battery Management System) to provide additional protection for the battery and the Re-Start feature w/remote so you are never left stranded with a dead battery.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Please feel free to check out the video below

Quick Reply: What battery replacement size for 2017 Corvette Stingray M7