Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

^^^
Scary, Thanks for the info and pics!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by magredrod
Just a tip related to the OP question on PowerStop pads.......as I've only used OE and Carbo Tech 1521 and XP42 racing pads I can tell you from a scary scary track experience the PowerStop Performance Rotors are NOT for track use. Within 35-40 miles just hours after the install I had new rotors CRACK. Very fortunate that neither new rotor chunked out and put me in a wall or into someone else. Went back to OE rotors on Z51 with same daily driving and track pads swapped for events and smooth sailing. The CarboTech racing pads with OE rotors give unbelievable stopping power that is extremely noticeable and competitive.

PowerStop pads could certainly be equal or better than CarboTechs for all I know.....just be aware of the Performance Rotors I tried once when the OE rotors needed replaced. The vibration when braking at speeds over 140 MPH was absurd. I was certainly lucky to get the car home without incident.

How long ago were these rotors purchased?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Oct '17
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
Diogenes found another! Join some others who were willing to admit they observed the issue! Been saying that for two years and in post #9 site the reason and two more posters who said the same. Post #31, nikeair042, stated, quoting: "Performance, it's not as good as the Brembo's. Anyone who tells you different is lying or they have no sense of performance. The initial bite of the Brembo's is incredible."

Yep, I learned to deal with and even worse issue with cold metallic brakes ordered with every HD option offered for my first new car, "back-in-the day." Like those metallic brakes, PowerStops stop fine when warm/hot. But in my somewhat unique situation I could not live without the excellent initial bite and predictable modulation of the cold OEM Brembo pads.

I merge onto a 4 lane divided highway with 65+ mph traffic at the end of my street. Soon after I turn onto a narrow rural road so stop aggressively to avoid cars/trucks behind having to apply their brakes as I turn. You'll note Post #31, nikeair042 states: "I had Carbotech pads on my Z51. The performance felt similar to the Brembo's, very similar." That is what I found in 3 years with Carbotech 1521 pads on my Z51 so tossed the PowerStop pads I bought for my Grand Sport and installed Carbotech.

For 2 years, I'm back to confidently making those aggressive stops from 65+ mph every time I leave my house!
For me, I don't consider it an issue, because they stop as good as I need them to. How the hell do you slow your 502 powered hotrod down from 65 mph? I know damn well that it doesn't stop like your GS would with powerstops pads?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

^^^
For a tracker or gearhead like me you can learn to deal with cold pad stops, since you understand the issue. Heck I learned to deal with the metallic brakes on my first new car I ordered with every HD option. Had to be very careful stopping when I backed out of my steep driveway 1st thing in the moring! But like PowerStop, stoped great when warm! I'm more concerned with the person who bought a Grand Sport "because they liked the look," stopping after coming off a highway when the brakes cooled to ambient!

Great question re Street Rod braking and you're not kidding! Although it's built on a TCI very ridged chassis with coil overs and disk brakes on all 4 wheels it takes a lot of brake pressure to stop! It has a small power brake booster that is under the floor (should have used a double diaphragm booster had I known.) Even though I added a Vaccum Reservoir from Jegs, not a lot of help with the cam in that Big Block! Not a big problem as it mostly goes to Shows. In fact there is one in town tomorrow!

To answer your question, I have to wait until traffic allows! This time of year it's a PIA as that highway is on the way to and from Myrtle Beach. Often heavy traffic in both directions. We're in the country ~20 miles from town and most folks leaving the country club make a right and go 4 miles to I95, then into town. I avoid I95 with the Vette, too many 18 wheeler tire treads in the highway and have to stay ~8 mph max over the speed limit, which changes to a 60 mph limit near town (great spot for troopers to give tickets.) Folks traveling 80+ don't slow for the section that switches to 60 mph near RT20! They get mad at me as I move to the left lane going 65 mph because the exit to RT20 "is the right lane" as I95 goes from 3 to 2 lanes. Folks get confused, move rapidly to the center lane and if an 18 wheeler is there, they are forced over! The reason for the 60 mph limit (in addition to helping to keep my taxes low with tickets) is we have had a number of deaths in hat area! My detector is going off all the time when I use I95 from Troopers traveling in the other direction and triggering their radar when they see me!

A more important reason to me is when taking the back roads into town, I pass a number of farm field, no homes and the cotton and corn don't care how fast I'm going! Includes one twisty section as well! Lot's of fun!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: PowerStop brake pads