Sponsored by:

PowerStop brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:35 PM
321gooo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PowerStop brake pads

I’ve searched the forum and I see a lot of guys like the powerstop pads and they say that they don’t notice any decrease in performance from the stock pads. The big one is I hear they create a lot less dust. Is it that much a difference? When searching I don’t see which ones people are going with is it the Z26 performance?
The following users liked this post:
C7Flash (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

PowerStop pads and rotors are absolutely amazing. They literally produce close to zero dust. Worth every penny...
Old 06-11-2019, 02:43 PM
321gooo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mayor111
PowerStop pads and rotors are absolutely amazing. They literally produce close to zero dust. Worth every penny...
I see that lol, which model though? And their pads are fine on the stock rotors right? Just leave a color on em I’ve read.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

The only person that says they will change the rotor color is the one selling a set of pads for 500 bucks. lol
LuisZ51 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by speed4tu
The only person that says they will change the rotor color is the one selling a set of pads for 500 bucks. lol
not true.

I don't sell any pads and I had powerstops make my Z51 rotors brown.

It's not a huge deal, but some are bothered by it.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:10 PM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I sometimes go months before washing my car and the wheels look 10 times cleaner than with stock pads. I've used the Carbotech's as well and still had dust problems. The stopping performance seems to be fine. If there's any difference, it's hard for the average person to tell. I do have stock rotors on my Z51 and have had the PowerStop Z26 for about 3 years now. My rotors are still normal color. Stop asking questions and just buy it!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:14 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

3,000 miles on my Powerstops and my rotors are as brown-free as the day I took delivery of the car
Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

and I'm not a powerstop basher... I put them on my wife's ATS-V, they are the exact same brakes as my GS, just solid rotors. They look fine on that car, no browning. Just saying, it's not a lochness monster myth, I have seen brown rotors from powerstops.
raylo (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by 321gooo
I’ve searched the forum and I see a lot of guys like the powerstop pads and they say that they don’t notice any decrease in performance from the stock pads. The big one is I hear they create a lot less dust. Is it that much a difference? When searching I don’t see which ones people are going with is it the Z26 performance?
I'll jump in and cause some controversy!

I bought Carbotech 1521, made in US, ceramic pads for my 2014 Z51. Car stopped the same as OEM with cold, warm or hot pads. They have ~85% less dust IMO and most important what is there does not pit my wheels! Wheel pitting was happening on my Z51 if iI did not clean it off every few trips into town (100 miles.) With Carbotech 1521 pads I cleaned the wheels (as I do not with my Grand Sport) only when I wash the car!

Some reports (not all) said PowerStop pads worked fine so I tried them on my new Grand Sport. I only paid $125 from Amazon, delivered, including SC tax. Bedded per their recommendations. They stopped fine when warm or hot BUT NOT WHEN THE PADS WERE COLD. I have a somewhat unique situation as at the end of my street I merge into a 65+ mph traffic on a 4 lane divided highway and shortly after turn onto another rural road. I use the brakes aggressively so cars/trucks behind don't have to slow down excessively. If there is a car waiting to merge onto the highway it leaves me little room! A number of times with the PowerStop pads, before they were at least warm from braking, I had to pass-up turning and had to go to the next road. The very confident stopping I had experienced for 6 months with the Z51 OEM pads and 3 years with Carbotech 1521 pads was not there! I tossed them after 900 miles, bought and installed the more expensive Carbotech 1521 pads. Stopping was back to what I was used to, perhaps better as the front pads are significantly larger! In now 2 years I stop with total confidence, excellent pedal modulation and have never had to pass up turning onto that rural road.

Before the usual few start saying it's only me; I have Forum Quotes from others and researched the reason for the difference in cold pad performance after I switched pads. They are in this detailed "How To Install" PDF: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Here are two comments from a forum post:
Z06NJ CF Senior Member
"Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. However, with time, it becomes like muscle memory. Now I just brake like normal and don't even think about it.
But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "
WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody" LOL But you get used to them."

Runner61627 CF Senior Member
"Have had both the PowerStop’s and Carbotechs. On my previous Vette-a 2015 3LT Z51, the PowerStops eliminated most brake dust, but noticeable reduction in stopping power. Some folks reported discolored rotors. The Carbotechs are on my Grand Sport now and take care of the brake dust without any reduction in stopping power and no discoloring of the rotors. While more expensive, the Carbotechs – in my experience – are the better choice."

There are others sited in the PDF and one from an avid tracker who understands braking! Your car your choice.

This simple pic is one of many in the PDF. If your a bit technical you will see the PowerStop pads are more like racing pads that need to be warm/hot to stop well.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-12-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 PM
C7Flash
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 3,000 miles on my GS with Z26 Power Stop pads and stock rotors. I cannot tell any difference in stopping, don’t track car, and rotors are shiny with no hint of browning.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Put Powerstop Z-26's on my 16 Z-51 within a week after purchase, 12,000+ miles and 2+ years later no dust, no brown, no regrets.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Not this **** again . . . .
p3pilot (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
Not this **** again . . . .
Yep...tomorrow's feature will be auto vs manual and on Thursday we'll do chrome vs black wheels and we'll round the week off with 1LT vs 3LT.
The following 3 users liked this post by lakemg:
CE_Vetteboy (06-12-2019), LuisZ51 (06-12-2019), Mobil 1 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by lakemg
Yep...tomorrow's feature will be auto vs manual and on Thursday we'll do chrome vs black wheels and we'll round the week off with 1LT vs 3LT.
And maybe Mac vs PC, iPhone vs Android......

Last edited by KenHorse; 06-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
lakemg (06-12-2019), LuisZ51 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:20 AM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

The OP asked what model of powerstop to use. His mind is already set on them. I'm tired of every time I go to read a post about brakes that I have to look at the same *** clowns posting their nonsense and trying to push other brands. Is there a way to block these people so I don't have to see them?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

For the few who have posted referring to the data I present (as expected) the OP can read, try to understand the cold pad braking issue and make a decision. I don't care if they buy any quality pads like Hawk, EBC, or Carbotech, which many of us have used since 2014. They have 8 pad compounds most for racing, sell pads at the same prices as Vettes for many cars including for autocross, open wheel racing and endurance racing. Some of the other quality pad companies do as well. I encourage the OP to investigate and read more than a few forum comments especially more than from those that recently joined the Forum!

Yep I can understand many folks with cheap PowerStops are happy. Some feel they must defend their purchase decision- get that. That is what got me to switch for my Grand Sport from what I knew worked perfectly for 3 years on my Z51 - to save money! Foolish in my part having spent ~$70,000 on a car and worry about saving a few dollars for a critical item like bakes and getting cheap Chinese pads! My only consolation is I only spent $125 for the mistake! I could care less what pads the OP gets, their car their choice!

Granted many with PowerStops are happy and that's fine. But some understand the data and information I present (and read the references to others who have posted similar observations.) I get many PM's thanking me from folks who won't post on this forum and put up with insulting posts! In fact if you look at any forum Thread statistics, Posts versus Visits, it's usually less than 10% who post than visit. Often because some members will make insulting remarks! Doesn't bother me, I feel like Diogenes!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-12-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 AM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

A hero in your own mind. Got it

Get notified of new replies

To PowerStop brake pads

Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
No, I just present facts but understand when numbers are involved some eyes roll!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-12-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
The OP asked what model of powerstop to use. His mind is already set on them. I'm tired of every time I go to read a post about brakes that I have to look at the same *** clowns posting their nonsense and trying to push other brands. Is there a way to block these people so I don't have to see them?
Yup, go to your user CP and add them to your ignore list. I know how you feel. He's his own biggest fan.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
For the few who have posted referring to the data I present (as expected) the OP can read, try to understand the cold pad braking issue and make a decision. I don't care if they buy any quality pads like Hawk, EBC, or Carbotech, which many of us have used since 2014. They have 8 pad compounds most for racing, sell pads at the same prices as Vettes for many cars including for autocross, open wheel racing and endurance racing. Some of the other quality pad companies do as well. I encourage the OP to investigate and read more than a few forum comments especially more than from those that recently joined the Forum!

Yep I can understand many folks with cheap PowerStops are happy. Some feel they must defend their purchase decision- get that. That is what got me to switch for my Grand Sport from what I knew worked perfectly for 3 years on my Z51 - to save money! Foolish in my part having spent ~$70,000 on a car and worry about saving a few dollars for a critical item like bakes and getting cheap Chinese pads! My only consolation is I only spent $125 for the mistake! I could care less what pads the OP gets, their car their choice!

Granted many with PowerStops are happy and that's fine. But some understand the data and information I present (and read the references to others who have posted similar observations.) I get many PM's thanking me from folks who won't post on this forum and put up with insulting posts! In fact if you look at any forum Thread statistics, Posts versus Visits, it's usually less than 10% who post than visit. Often because some members will make insulting remarks! Doesn't bother me, I feel like Diogenes!
Seems to me its more like YOU need to defend your decision to spend FOUR TIMES the amount of money for brake pads, lol.

There is no discernable difference in breaking power between powerstops and carbotechs.

The ridiculous infographic you post over and over again is meaningless in real world use (you even made up one of the stats for powerstops - you 'extrapolated' the number and state that it's 'probably' the number, lol).

And from what Ive read, powerstops dust less than carbotechs.

99% of the people who use powerstops that post here say there is no discoloration to the rotors. I have yet to meet someone in person who has discolored rotors...

And even if you don't want powerstops there are other brands like hawk that are a fraction of the cost of carbotechs.

So yeah, its pretty tough to defend the cost of the carbotech pads so I can understand why you are so frustrated...

Quick Reply: PowerStop brake pads