C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visit to Corvette Museum

Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM
boss2k
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yesterday i was coming back from my weekend trip and stopped over at National corvette museum for a hour and it is a very nice place. Loved to see the shiny brand new cars waiting to be delivered at the museum with owners name written on it and i wished i should have done the museum delivery, its only a 5 hrs drive from my home.

Anyways took the museum tour and there was a video showing how corvettes are made, very informative video and it mentioned that the cars are tested thoroughly and even driven on the track up to 80 Miles/ hr which made me think that

1. Are these engines already broken before they are delivered
2. Are the miles re-set because no way they can go through all these tests and have 3-4 miles on delivery.

Thoughts?

Some pics

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-11-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,463 Likes on 3,833 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The museum is a fun place to visit. Lots of cool things to see.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:39 PM
GTRSOLO
CF Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
1. Are these engines already broken before they are delivered
Yeah, curious. Mine only had 8 miles on the odo when it was delivered. When I went on the plant tour they showed each vehicle getting on some rollers/dyno machine and getting into the RPM...maybe not redline, but pretty healthy throttle.

On a side note, an engine builder told me he wasn't worried about engine break-in time. He said that if something's gonna fail it will within the first minutes of start-up. So when he would finish building his personal stuff, he would fire it up and basically go around the block, put it on the trailer and go straight to the track and go full throttle hit right off the trailer...seemed to work for him. He may have been referring to parts that he knew already had break-in time that he was re-using in following builds.
Good question.

Last edited by GTRSOLO; 06-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Only a sample of cars "enjoys" the benefit of a more extensive road test. Most cars arrive with less than 10 miles on the odometer. Mine had 3. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
DAC17 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 PM
boss2k
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
Only a sample of cars "enjoys" the benefit of a more extensive road test. Most cars arrive with less than 10 miles on the odometer. Mine had 3. YMMV.
That's what I am asking, is it really 3 miles or reset to 3 miles after its quality tested. All cars go through same procedures for QA testing , they are all driven the same way.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM
DAC17
2019 GS 2LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

That's what I am asking, is it really 3 miles or reset to 3 miles after its quality tested. All cars go through same procedures for QA testing , they are all driven the same way.
Under federal law, they cannot reset the odometer.
Jgreg0912 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
dave_2012_tt
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Ferrari got into trouble a few year back for resetting - I think some dealers where doing this on used ones.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Well, no, they are not. That's what I'M saying. Most cars come off the line with about 3 miles on them. They are not "reset." The QA step is computer controlled on a dyno in a static position. A SAMPLE of cars goes on a more extensive real road test, which is about 20-25 miles. I don't know if it is 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 or what or even what they do, but you can hear them take off from a back gate at the factory and they are not being gentle with the cars. They even have a special internal garage where cars that fail part of the test are diagnosed and fixed. It is right the entrance to the plant tours. There was a black coupe in this 'doghouse' that had several technicians poring over the car when I was there.
DAC17 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Yep, NCM Delivery is an awesome experience:

Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM
zo6_ ruff
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a very interesting topic that I honestly never thought about. I hope to visit the museum one day.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM
naylor99
CF Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Really enjoyed my visits to the museum, especially most recently when I drove away in my new Corvette...;

It was a very nice drive home!

Last edited by naylor99; 06-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM
GTRSOLO
CF Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I was fortunate enough to have been there on opening day...

Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM
boss2k
CF Senior Member

Well, no, they are not. That's what I'M saying. Most cars come off the line with about 3 miles on them. They are not "reset." The QA step is computer controlled on a dyno in a static position. A SAMPLE of cars goes on a more extensive real road test, which is about 20-25 miles. I don't know if it is 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 or what or even what they do, but you can hear them take off from a back gate at the factory and they are not being gentle with the cars. They even have a special internal garage where cars that fail part of the test are diagnosed and fixed. It is right the entrance to the plant tours. There was a black coupe in this 'doghouse' that had several technicians poring over the car when I was there.
Ok so you are saying the cars that are driven 25 to 30 miles are delivered with 25 to 30 miles from the factory to the dealership ?

The video mentioned that all cars are driven on the track upto 80 miles/ he so how can they drive only 2 to 3 miles in track and get it upto 80 miles per hr? This is in addition to the other tests they do ..bottom line I find it hard to believe that the delivery miles are the actual miles on the car . I am not questioning or complaining about the QA process which is damn good which shows how good they do the testing process.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

The video is WRONG. All cars are NOT driven after production other to put them on the delivery lot at the factory and then the minimal amount of miles added during the delivery process (taking off the truck, parking on dealer lot, driving to dealer PDI area and maybe getting a tankful of gas (many dealers have gas on site).

No cars are driven to the dealer. Even the Chevy dealer in Bowling Green gets his Corvettes by truck.

Miles on the odometer at delivery ARE the actual miles on the car.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM
CE_Vetteboy
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine had 5 kilometers or 3.1 miles
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 PM
mschuyler
CF Senior Member

Ok so you are saying the cars that are driven 25 to 30 miles are delivered with 25 to 30 miles from the factory to the dealership ?

The video mentioned that all cars are driven on the track upto 80 miles/ he so how can they drive only 2 to 3 miles in track and get it upto 80 miles per hr? This is in addition to the other tests they do ..bottom line I find it hard to believe that the delivery miles are the actual miles on the car . I am not questioning or complaining about the QA process which is damn good which shows how good they do the testing process.
What Zymurgy said. You can believe the fake news if you want to. Setting back odometer miles is a federal felony. They do not do that. The QA process is as I have stated twice and now for a third time. For most all cars the QA consists of computer checks while the car is stationary. It does several hundred checks in a few seconds, gives a green light if it all passes, whereupon the car is packaged for delivery. This process is shown in several YouTube videos which show the build process. ALL cars, even for museum delivery across the street, are shipped by truck (and rail) to the delivering dealer. Most all cars are delivered with about three (3) miles on the odometer. A dealer may add a few miles during a PDI. The cars that do have 25-30 miles on them have been singled out at random for a more extensive check, which I also detailed above. End of story. Really.
Zymurgy (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
mneblett
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

5 miles on the 2019 Z06 I picked up last Saturday.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM
gliot1
CF Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I am not sure how they break in Corvette motors, but years ago I had Chrysler as a customer and for initial break in of motors, they would assemble the motors except for the heads. The tech would attach an electric motor to the crank, oil down the cylinders and run the engine for a set period. After this step, the heads would be installed.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 PM
boss2k
CF Senior Member

What Zymurgy said. You can believe the fake news if you want to. Setting back odometer miles is a federal felony. They do not do that. The QA process is as I have stated twice and now for a third time. For most all cars the QA consists of computer checks while the car is stationary. It does several hundred checks in a few seconds, gives a green light if it all passes, whereupon the car is packaged for delivery. This process is shown in several YouTube videos which show the build process. ALL cars, even for museum delivery across the street, are shipped by truck (and rail) to the delivering dealer. Most all cars are delivered with about three (3) miles on the odometer. A dealer may add a few miles during a PDI. The cars that do have 25-30 miles on them have been singled out at random for a more extensive check, which I also detailed above. End of story. Really.
That's fine maybe u guys have lots of inside info but I am just telling u from what I saw in the video and find it hard to believe the video is fake .. if it's TRUE what the video says no way the cars will have 3 to 5 miles on delivery.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

And we are telling you that the video is WRONG! (or you misunderstood what it was saying). Only a very small number of Corvettes are randomly selected for road testing. When those cars get to the dealer, they have 25 or more miles on them, unlike the vast majority that have 3 miles or less on them. I've been through the factory on a private tour. Not exactly inside info, but widely known info which you refuse to accept.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Visit to Corvette Museum

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: