Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 brake question

Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 AM
Silverfox1
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C7 Z51 brake question

Just got my 2015 : Z51 3LT M7 8k mi. Found in the trunk two metal disc rings, GM part # 23184111 "Z51 Front Brake Rotor Cooling Rings." Asked dealer bout it & he says OEM aftermarket addition for those who track car. Can anyone add to this? How they work? For those of us who don't track, is this even worth putting on car? Thinking when car needs new fronts, just throw them on. Doesn't look like any big deal to do it. Oh yeah, saw rather spirited discussions from few years ago about whether to put wheel locks on. Consensus was if they want 'em, they'll get 'em. Locks may scare off the "casual" thief & may just slow down the pro. Those that are stymied may be pissed off enough to do other damage. is that assessment still accurate today? At home car is always garaged. But planning trips, amongst them the 2019 Caravan.
Thx

Last edited by Silverfox1; 06-13-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
rrsperry
CF Senior Member

Received 431 Likes on 276 Posts

Yep those are the factory cooling rings. OE not OEM.. (as in an original part that came with the car.

No, don't put them on. You are supposed to put them on when you track the car and THEN REMOVE them... It's ok, because I think Chevy did away with them anyway.

So no, don't just put them on. Use them as paper weights or wall art.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Silverfox1
CF Senior Member

Ahhhh, thx for the head's up. Good to know.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 PM
JMII
CF Senior Member

Received 354 Likes on 269 Posts

I track my 14 Z51 without the cooling rings. My car was used and didn't include them. However (expensive) aftermarket two piece racing rotors don't come with them so I am not buying GMs logic on why they are needed. Plus as mentioned they changed the design of these rotors in later years and got rid of the rings anyway. Seems to be a failed experiment then.

As for wheel locks - never been a fan of them. If you lose the key or they become damaged you are in a world of hurt. If someone wants your wheels they are taking them regardless of the locks.

Congrats on the car
The following users liked this post:
Silverfox1 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Don't bother... I tracked my C7Z51 w/o them w/o any issue. The OEM 2-part cast rotors lasted nearly two seasons (using good pads) before I swapped to DBA rotors. They were an odd oversight.... something came up in development to where engineers decided the car needed a larger heat sink on the front. GM wanted you to install and un-install every track weekend... which is sily as it requires taking the caliper off every time which is great for the caliper bolt threads which get torqued to 159 ft/lbs with fresh loctite.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 06-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Silverfox1 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 PM
TPAJETSKI
CF Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

My cooling rings are still in the plastic bag. I swapped the front rotors for the updated version a few months back.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Silverfox1
CF Senior Member

Ahhh, mine are also still in the plastic bag. What's the deal with the upgraded rotors? Thx
Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post
Ahhh, mine are also still in the plastic bag. What's the deal with the upgraded rotors? Thx
Can you be more specific? GM cheaped out in later years going back to a 1-piece rotor even for the Z51s. The early 2-part cast rotor is superior.

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 06-13-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM
JMII
CF Senior Member

Received 354 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
The early 2-part cast rotor is superior.
I thought the early 2 part suffered from vibrations. Source: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...html#d2342e156

Mine are starting to vibrant slightly but given that I track the car I knew they wouldn't last long. Also in my case I could have pad deposits issues as I switch between aggressive track pads and the crappy OEM pads.

I see that many here just move onto DBA rotors especially for track use.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMII View Post
I thought the early 2 part suffered from vibrations. Source: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...html#d2342e156

Mine are starting to vibrant slightly but given that I track the car I knew they wouldn't last long. Also in my case I could have pad deposits issues as I switch between aggressive track pads and the crappy OEM pads.

I see that many here just move onto DBA rotors especially for track use.
Put 55K miles on a set and never had any vibrations. Bought car in 2017 with 42K miles, has 56K now and just put the DBA 2-piece fronts and single part rears on. Had zero issues with the stock 2-part ones. I did see the TSB on vibration, but could have been hub face rust/deposits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Z51 brake question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: