Sponsored by:

Water in rear compartment in hatch area

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Water in rear compartment in hatch area

I have a 2018 Stingray 1LT. Yesterday I went in to the small compartment in the back hatch and discovered about 3/4 of an inch of water in there. The car has been sitting outside for the last 3 weeks and we have had several rainstorms. The compartment has about a 1/2 gap on 3 of the sides at the top and only the right side (inboard side) does it come up under the trim lip around the lid. I placed 3 rolled up pieces of paper towels in the gap at the top, one on each of the 3 sides. We got rain again last night and this morning I discovered more water about 1/8th inch in the compartment. The rolled up paper towel to the front of the compartment and the one to the left of the compartment were dry. The rolled up paper towel in the gap along the rear of the compartment was wet. So it appears the water is coming in from the gap above the compartment along the rear edge.

When I first purchased the car a year and a half ago I discovered water in there and took it to the dealer. They told me they put the car under some kind of shower device and let it run for 3 hours and could not find any leaks. After that the car was kept in my garage and it wasn't an issue anymore. Now I have the car down the shore for the summer without a garage and I am getting water again. I am worried that if I take it to the dealer again they do the same thing and they will come up with no answers.

Has anyone here experienced this problem and if so what was the source of the leak? I am hoping someone can provide me with a possible cause so I can suggest to the dealer to check that directly instead of showering the car for 3 hours and coming up with nothing.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

After that the car was kept in my garage and it wasn't an issue anymore
I would have never settled for that as a resolution. Take it to a different dealer if you have to but there is no excuse for a leak.. NONE
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

I had the exact same issue....the rear hatch glass seal is defective, mine came from the factory like that, i noticed water in the back within a couple days of ownership. ( first night it rained )

The fix....GM replaced my entire rear hatch removed the glass from the defective hatch and used it on the "new one" and had to paint it and re assemble.

Had to drive a chevy cruse for about two weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65fastback:
GeoGS (06-16-2019), Inferno24 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I had the exact same issue....the rear hatch glass seal is defective, mine came from the factory like that, i noticed water in the back within a couple days of ownership. ( first night it rained )

The fix....GM replaced my entire rear hatch removed the glass from the defective hatch and used it on the "new one" and had to paint it and re assemble.

Had to drive a chevy cruse for about two weeks.

Did you have water in the hatch area also? Or just in the compartment? My hatch area is bone dry. Only the compartment is getting water. Even the lid is dry.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Inferno18
Did you have water in the hatch area also? Or just in the compartment? My hatch area is bone dry. Only the compartment is getting water. Even the lid is dry.
Yeah i was getting water in the rear hatch area on the carpet, it ended up getting into the electronics below and causing a short. ....car wouldn't start, i can't remember the part that fried.

I would not wait if i were you. Make them figure it out before your out of warranty ...i still believe your hatch glass seal is the culprit even though its leaking in a different area but of course i could be wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65fastback:
Avanti (06-14-2019), Inferno24 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Originally Posted by 65fastback
Yeah i was getting water in the rear hatch area on the carpet, it ended up getting into the electronics below and causing a short. ....car wouldn't start, i can't remember the part that fried.

I would not wait if i were you. Make them figure it out before your out of warranty ...i still believe your hatch glass seal is the culprit even though its leaking in a different area but of course i could be wrong.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow for an appointment. Hopefully the can get me in Monday or Tuesday. I''l post the findings when I get them. By the way my warranty is good until October of 2020.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inferno24:
65fastback (06-13-2019), GeoGS (06-16-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,124 Likes on 561 Posts

... down the shore ...
Ahhhh. Music to my ears. You go "down the shore" and when you're there, your "down the shore". Gotta love the Phila area dialect.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:00 PM
vetguy12534
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 c7 Hatch leak..

I found my carpet in the back hatch area was shows signs of a water stain so I had to pull it all out and dry it, so I found that some how water is getting in between the outside painted body panel The HATCH and the inside of the hatch it self..
Towards the front of the hatch on the inside where the hatch is wide and starts to narrow there is a little whole on both sides of the hatch and the water is pouring out of that either when you open the hatch or when it builds up enough it drips out...
.I spent an hour putting water on certain parts as if it was raining and haven't yet figured out exactly where it's getting in.. I will up date this soon as I will continue to work on finding the location of where it's entering the hatch..
Old 03-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Dan O
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my new C7 home and opened up the hatch I had an excess amount of water dripping from those weep holes.
Anybody know where that water is coming from? The car is back at the dealership, they are trying to figure it out...
Old 03-02-2020, 08:38 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Dealers dont want to waste time looking for leaks. Get yourself in the back close the hatch then have someone hit the area near the leak with a hose. You will then find the leak yourself. This is the way a body shop will do it. You will have more time to wait until you see the leak. Then have a. body shop repair it.. Dealers will blow you off when there is a small problem that will take a lot of time

Last edited by kaplana08; 03-02-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:17 AM
gas_man3501
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2018 Stingray 1LT. Yesterday I went in to the small compartment in the back hatch and discovered about 3/4 of an inch of water in there. The car has been sitting outside for the last 3 weeks and we have had several rainstorms. The compartment has about a 1/2 gap on 3 of the sides at the top and only the right side (inboard side) does it come up under the trim lip around the lid. I placed 3 rolled up pieces of paper towels in the gap at the top, one on each of the 3 sides. We got rain again last night and this morning I discovered more water about 1/8th inch in the compartment. The rolled up paper towel to the front of the compartment and the one to the left of the compartment were dry. The rolled up paper towel in the gap along the rear of the compartment was wet. So it appears the water is coming in from the gap above the compartment along the rear edge.

When I first purchased the car a year and a half ago I discovered water in there and took it to the dealer. They told me they put the car under some kind of shower device and let it run for 3 hours and could not find any leaks. After that the car was kept in my garage and it wasn't an issue anymore. Now I have the car down the shore for the summer without a garage and I am getting water again. I am worried that if I take it to the dealer again they do the same thing and they will come up with no answers.

Has anyone here experienced this problem and if so what was the source of the leak? I am hoping someone can provide me with a possible cause so I can suggest to the dealer to check that directly instead of showering the car for 3 hours and coming up with nothing.

I have the same problem. 2019 GS. Reached my hand behind the compartment toward the taillight while pouring water into hatch trough. It’s a waterfall back there. Ever come up with a solution?

Get notified of new replies

To Water in rear compartment in hatch area

Quick Reply: Water in rear compartment in hatch area