C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise at beginning of start help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 PM
WhiteGS
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Ticking noise at beginning of start help!!!

This has been a ongoing problem.
Trust me, I already took it into the dealer 5 times already and yes I already replaced the torque tube.
The noise that directly comes from the middle of the engine “ticking noise” just doesn’t stop. It’s only when the car is first started for the first 1 minute.
If the dealer doesn’t know what it is anymore. Then how am I supposed to know what to fix or change?
Maybe my fellow vette guys on the forum can help????
anyone else dealt with this annoyance?
What did you do to fix it?
-I already check the oil level, it’s good
-torque tube has been replaced
-the car is not problematic in any other departments
-it’s my first vette
-2017 grandsport
help!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,686 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Dificult to tell much without hearing the sound.
The following users liked this post:
WhiteGS (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Does the ticking sound like a sewing machine?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:58 AM
WhiteGS
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Does the ticking sound like a sewing machine?
Yes exactly
Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 AM
R8Z51
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I noticed the exact same noise on my '17 GS as well. Sounds like piston slap and goes away completely when warm. My '14 and '16 never had this.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Hard to tell for sure, as mentioned, without hearing BUT a common cause is one of more hydraulic valve lifters leaking down when the engine is off.

I'll try to explain:
Your engine has 2 valves per cylinder and therefore 16 hydraulic valve lifters that are raised by the camshaft in the engine, push on a rod that opens the valves at the correct time.

"Back in the day" these were sold lifters and all engines had a ticking sound until they got hot and the parts expanded. Even then then would go out of adjustment and some ticking would be heard because there was a small gap between the metal parts.

Hydraulic lifters were used to eliminate all the gap by NOT pushing on metal lifters rather using oil captured in the lifter and push on it! That oil could be replaced with engine oil under pressure if some leaked out! In fact the clearances are set so some in fact does leak out- but very little.

If one or more lifters has excess clearance than oil can leak out and the engine needs to run for a short time to fill that lifter or lifters with engine oil under engine oil pressure.

If the engine is off for a month, more will leak and that noise is more likely and will last a bit longer but a minute is enough to have it fill. My C7's, which I have had for 5 years or my street rod (with very stiff valve springs some pushing on several lifters when the engine is stopped) does not make a ticking noise. Frankly I don't listed with the hood open so might not hear a minor short time noise.

As said, without hearing it, hard to tell. BUT the C7 is no different than any other V8 made for the last >70 years! All have used hydraulic lifters. Has nothing to do with a torque tube, or frankly oil level, there is nothing you can do. Perhaps it something else but not much that will "tick" and stop after a minute.

If you park next to another Vette, shut off for say an hour and yours ticks when it starts and the other doesn't then the dealer should replace the lifters. Not an easy job and not sure what the dealer is telling you. They are well aware of lifter noise and may just say it's normal. Only looking at another, shut off for the same time and your ticks and other doesn't could you make a case.

Guess if it goes away not sure what why you're concerned - BUT I have not heard it! But I'm sure your dealer mechanic has and should have a comment, even if, "That's Normal!"

Last edited by JerryU; 06-14-2019 at 08:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Art17 (06-14-2019), Red C8 of Jax (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,284 Likes on 845 Posts

Are you sure your car has the correct oil in it? And as mentioned, I would also guess a lifter. It should not tick either way.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Does it sound like this?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

Another thing it could be is a exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. My 2016 Z has a 1 minute tick at first start up & it was found to be a leaking exhaust manifold. As soon as the manifold heats up, tick stops. From your description, I would look there with a stethoscope on start up.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 358 Posts

I’ve seen several threads about these noises. My ‘17 manual base has made a ticking sound about 10% of the time after cold startup since new, it now has 7K miles. Once it is driven a short distance it goes away. Which tells me it’s not a main or rod bearing issues and it always has good oil pressure. As long as it goes away and it’s only sometimes I’m not too concerned with it. I think the ticking is coming from the cylinder deactivation lifters. The last thing I want to do is take it into the dealership. That never ends well. They will find some reason to tear into it to make money. I think the power train warranty is 5 year, 100k miles so if it breaks it's on Chevrolet.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-14-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Ticking noise at beginning of start help!!!

Quick Reply: Ticking noise at beginning of start help!!!