Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water continues to enter amp compartment and ruins amp

Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Tobywilson
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water continues to enter amp compartment and ruins amp

I’ve replaced my amp twice. The second time they said water had gotten into the rear compartment through cracks in the compartment fiberglass. Anyone experiencing similar issues?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Sounds like a warranty issue to me if the car is still under warranty. This absolutely should not occur.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Tobywilson
8th Gear

Default Update on water leak

Dealership couldn’t explain so took to body shop. They found cracks in the (thin) lip. Water was going down the cracks before reaching the two small drain holes on ends of lip. They sanded and filled the cracks but don’t know why they happened and couldn’t promise they wouldn’t reoccur. Car not under warranty. I asked if they could’ve been caused by slamming the hatch and they said no. So no guaranteed fix. I don’t slam the hatch. Curse?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Very frustrating.

I have not previously hear of this, but perhaps others have.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM
GeoGS
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Never heard of anything like this. The ends of the cracks should be drilled out and filled in. This way it is hard for the cracks to continue. You also relieve the stress. With out seeing them where they are at, and how long they are. Hard to say much how they happened. Closing the hatch with something in the way of the ledge, putting a lot of stress by pinching that edge. If the crack is by the drain or any holes could have caused by water freezing in any holes that became plugged. Other than the car being in an accident. No one has talked about stress cracks like this.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have not heard of this happening before. Hopefully the work the body shop did will stop the leaks and no more water on the amp.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Talk about a prescient topic.

Earlier today I needed to get under the carpet in the rear of my 17 Z06. I removed the rear panel, pulled the carpet up to get underneath, lo and behold, there was some moisture about 8" in diameter sitting on the cover panel for the electronics! The carpet that sat on top of the spot appeared dry, and the moisture was limited to that specific area. I wiped it dry and went about what I had to do and promptly forgot about it, until now.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Tobywilson
8th Gear

Default Let me know

Please let me know if, in your research talking with other Vetters, if anyone else has incurred the water problem. The body shop folks (also great friends) said they googled it and found many reports of water ruining electronics due to the placement of the amp in this fiberglass rear container. The dealer, on the other hand, said they’d never seen it. But I’m thinking, “Of course they would say that.” One thing that I wondered about are these high pressure drive though car washes that hit the undercarriage. I use them frequently but the wouldn’t cause cracks. But I can’t believe Chevy wouldn’t make the container impervious and water tight.

Last edited by Tobywilson; 06-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
GeoGS
Instructor

Default water

There was one other thread talking a water coming in, but it was thru the back hatch window. The Window seals were the problem if I remember reading it correctly. It was just posted around the same time as this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM
GeoGS
Instructor

Found the post. Here it is.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ear-hatch.html
Old 06-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 136 Posts

I am getting water in my rear storage compartment. I started a thread on it the other day. Everywhere in the rear hatch area including the lid to the compartment is bone dry but the compartment is getting water in it. Last week I placed 3 paper towels in the gap on the top edge of the compartment under the lid on the 3 sides that have the gap. I rained that night. In the morning I discovered more water in the compartment and the paper towel in the gap along the rear edge of the compartment was wet. The left side and front edge paper towels were dry. It appears that the water is entering the compartment through the gap along the rear facing edge of the compartment. I have an appointment Wednesday morning 8 am with the local dealer. I will post their findings after I get the car back. My money is on one of the 2 corner drains on the driverside of the hatch channel.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Tobywilson
8th Gear

Default Water Leaking

You might might ask your dealer if there’s any chance isf any of that water running into the compartment where the amp it located. There are drain holes there also but if you have unexplained cracks in that drain trough, as I did, the water will get in there. Lots of electronics in the back of a C7. But they shouldn’t leak period.

Originally Posted by Inferno18
I am getting water in my rear storage compartment. I started a thread on it the other day. Everywhere in the rear hatch area including the lid to the compartment is bone dry but the compartment is getting water in it. Last week I placed 3 paper towels in the gap on the top edge of the compartment under the lid on the 3 sides that have the gap. I rained that night. In the morning I discovered more water in the compartment and the paper towel in the gap along the rear edge of the compartment was wet. The left side and front edge paper towels were dry. It appears that the water is entering the compartment through the gap along the rear facing edge of the compartment. I have an appointment Wednesday morning 8 am with the local dealer. I will post their findings after I get the car back. My money is on one of the 2 corner drains on the driverside of the hatch channel.
The following users liked this post:
Inferno24 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm wondering if this is the problem I am experiencing. Nowhere in the rear hatch area is it wet, but as I type these words, in my mind's eye, I can see the bottom lip of the rear window is exactly over the spot where I found my water. I also know that the seal at the bottom of the window looks kinda thin; i.e., there's plenty of space between the glass and the body panel. In fact, there is so much space, that if I leave the C7 uncovered in the driveway during fall or spring, the gap fills with detritus.

Originally Posted by GeoGS
There was one other thread talking a water coming in, but it was thru the back hatch window. The Window seals were the problem if I remember reading it correctly. It was just posted around the same time as this thread.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Tobywilson
8th Gear

Default Water Leak in amp compartment

[You’ll know as soon as the $1000 amp that runs the radio, backup screen , click noise for turn signal fails.

QUOTE=GreenGA;1599609852]I'm wondering if this is the problem I am experiencing. Nowhere in the rear hatch area is it wet, but as I type these words, in my mind's eye, I can see the bottom lip of the rear window is exactly over the spot where I found my water. I also know that the seal at the bottom of the window looks kinda thin; i.e., there's plenty of space between the glass and the body panel. In fact, there is so much space, that if I leave the C7 uncovered in the driveway during fall or spring, the gap fills with detritus.[/QUOTE]

Get notified of new replies

To Water continues to enter amp compartment and ruins amp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water continues to enter amp compartment and ruins amp