C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting new GS tomorrow, first things to do ?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Allpro
What color? Do you know if it was on the lot or in the showroom? I was there on Tuesday and they had 3 or 4 in the showroom believe GS and they all
looked real good.
Long Beach Red . It was picked up last Sat . Salesman said it was on the floor for a while .
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

My dealer recommended the rear differential fluid be changed at about 1000 miles. It was on the low side (put in about 10 more ounces than drained out) and good maintenance to replace fluid. Pretty easy job if you can get under the car.

Good luck with new car. I love my GS!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FINE99
Long Beach Red . It was picked up last Sat . Salesman said it was on the floor for a while .
They had a Long Beach Red on the Floor on Tuesday and it was sharp looking, I assume your car has the Kalahari Interior? Chrome
Wheels? Knowing you had your car shipped last Saturday, I would assume similar.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 AM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BJ67
Brake pads are soooo easy to do and will not effect your warranty, do them and dont think twice about it.
I have read about the dust from the stock pads . What is everyone's favorite pad ?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 17 GS Z07 7M...I love the car but have done much to improve what bothered me. I've done shifter upgrade, DSC controller, many engine mods, exhaust, xpel wrap, engine tuning, sound deading, etc...the list goes on and on. Partly because cars and motorcycles are my hobbies and I cant leave good enough alone. But I'd say the first thing I'd do...is buy a set of quick pull door handles. They are great and you wont finger the car up everytime you open the door and no more finger games to get the door to open. Easy to install...a must for all C7 vettes IMO.

Other that...depending on you skill level, funds, and opinions...there is so much to mess with to make a great car feel, sound, drive, and look better. Enjoy my friend!
Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 AM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Allpro
They had a Long Beach Red on the Floor on Tuesday and it was sharp looking, I assume your car has the Kalahari Interior? Chrome
Wheels? Knowing you had your car shipped last Saturday, I would assume similar.
Yes both with a black top .
Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I wouldn't worry about plugging the gas cap lock. There have been a few people with issues but the vast majority don't have any issues with the way the cap works. Not sure why you would disable passive lock either. Keep the FOB in your pants pocket and the door will always open when you walk up to the car. You can't stop the door from locking while driving as it becomes a safety issue when the car is moving. Unlike the days when you had to turn/pull a handle to open a car door from inside accidentally hitting the door opening button/s with an arm could cause a door to open at an inopportune time.

Despite all of the comments from the unknowledgeable the car does come with a street alignment Vs a track alignment. A -1.0 to -1.1 camber setting at all 4 wheels which is how the cars are set when delivered is not a track setting. You will see in your Owner's Manual that track settings run in the -2.0 camber range. To reduce the chance of inner tire wear just have the dealer ensure the front toe is set to +0.01 or +0.02 of toe in Vs 0 toe or toe out.

Bill
Hello, I have a (new from Kerbecks , '19 G S ) ( With 640 mi. now ) and I asked the dealer to set the alignment for street use and he refused. So you say that the cars are set with street alignment ?? If not I will have to get it done by a shop nearby I
Thanks so much !!
Rich
Old 06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,574 Likes on 5,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
Hello, I have a (new from Kerbecks , '19 G S ) ( With 640 mi. now ) and I asked the dealer to set the alignment for street use and he refused. So you say that the cars are set with street alignment ?? If not I will have to get it done by a shop nearby I
Thanks so much !!
Rich
I suggest you leave your alignment alone but monitor your tire wear which is good practice for any vehicle. No use trying to create a problem where one doesn't exist.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 06-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Get low dust pads or you'll be cleaning the wheels every 100 miles or so. It's easy and do it quickly so you won't have to sand the rotors. here's my PDF 'How To.." http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Has ~20+ other "How To" mods links at the end like, MGW Shifter, Rear Diffuser, Low Restriction Air Filter, Simple Fix to water bottle doesn't spill in hi "g" Stop/turn, Splash Guards,many others- pic what might appeal to you!

I support those who say getting a "free alignment" but AFTER ~450 to 500 miles so the suspension, sway bar and other bushings loosen. I hand my Grand Sport done at 450 miles (I do my own oil/filter change- free is not worth the risk to me) but could ask when you have the 500 miles change if you trust the dealer not to crack your rocker panels when it's lifted and to not overfill! My rear camber came in at -1.6 Degrees on the dealers Hunter Alignment machine. GM has a range you can drive a truck through for all C7s +/- 0.5. Don't want the tires to "start wearing."

The Grand Sport rear campber is "within spec" from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. Don't just say "Check the alignment!" Had I done that the tech would have fixed the 1 toe that was in the Red, out slightly. Would have taken 5 minutes and he could say, "All's Fine!" I provided a spead sheet with the GM range for each adjustment, picked centerline for toe, which is essentially 0 and for the rears I asked for and got -0.8 a compromise for tire wear and performance. Took him 45 minutes. I watched from the open alignment bay door and let him know there would be a good tip for a good job! Gave him that!

BTW, don't just just say, give me the free alignment! The dealer has to put something down to get reimbursed from GM. Say you think the car may be puling to the right! (actually on narrower 2 lane rods the crown will cause that!) When I signed for my free alignment they put in my words, ""customer says car pulling to the right!"

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
Thanks so much !!
Rich
Hmm, see above post! After 450 miles my rear camber was -1.6 degrees on both rears! The GM spec is, -0.5 to -1.7! BUT can't just say give me a "street alignment!" All they are obligated to do IF YOU SAY I think it's pulling to the right or something like that is check to see that it is "within that broad spec! You define what you want for street alignment! Pick centerline if that is what you want.

As Bill notes however folks Tacking may use camber's in excess of the GM spec. You'll find those specs listed in the forum. Don't expect a dealer to set those levels.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I suggest you leave your alignment alone but monitor your tire wear which is good practice for any vehicle. No use trying to create a problem where one doesn't exist.
Kevin,
Thanks, I do have the old type tire wear gauge. I will check, but you did mention that they come from factory set up with street specs for the wheel alignment, not track ??. No, it does track straight.
Thanks again!!
Rich

Last edited by Vette Ski; 06-16-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:46 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Dang you guys know a lot your c7's !! I knew a lot about my c5 also !!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:48 PM
rdgbuccaneer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy the wheel warrantee you will need it about 3 times!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Del the Grand Sport
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spring Mountain

Immediately sign up for your Spring Mountain Ron Fellows Driving instruction. A great experience you will not forget!
Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 239 Posts

ron fellows.

brake pads, which are extremely easy to do yourself.

change transmission fluid to redline D4.

radar detector and blendmount.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM
shineocd
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What kind of brake pads you all buying? I'm interested.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shineocd
What kind of brake pads you all buying? I'm interested.
This Install PDF has lots of info and shows what I use and posts from 6 others who have the same reasons: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

It has lots of pics of my 3 sets of C7 pads installed with a recent update of a special small drift I made to seat the pins on my Grand Sport!. A Poster asked the question of how to seat the pins in the rear of hos Z06/Grand Sport with the very close close proximity of the brake cooling ducts on the rear. Since I was taking my rear wheels off to rotate the tires found his question about how do you fully seat the pins was a great one. Found mine where not fully seated and made this 3/4 inch long drift to do it properly!

The Service Manual says "set the pins fully." Wonder how many with a Grand Sport or Z06 that have a plastic cooling duct so close to the pins have done that!?

This is one of over 30 pics in the PDF- the reason for making it versus putting all in a post with captions!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-17-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting new GS tomorrow, first things to do ?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM
CPO Rob
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

I am familiar with Kerbeck, I am sure they will do right by you.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FINE99
I have read about the dust from the stock pads . What is everyone's favorite pad ?
Oh nooooooooooooooo, now you've done it. Que the war on brake pads in 1-2-3........ There are two different camps for brake pads here on the forum. One is for the more expensive CarboTech's, and the other for the more reasonably priced Power Stop pads. Myself I went with the Power Stops, and have been happy. Little to no dust. If you are anywhere near mechanically inclined you can change the pads yourself. EZPZ, and there are a couple good video's on YouTube to help you get started.

Also, get the alignment soon. I waited 1000 miles, and the Tech said the tires had already started to wear on the inside. Not so much to where they are a problem, and they should even out with some more miles.

Congratulations on the new GS. You will enjoy it I assure you.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:51 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Oh nooooooooooooooo, now you've done it. Que the war on brake pads in 1-2-3....
There's been a disturbance in The Force. It's been >24 hours since 1Fine99 posted his pad question and the "brown rotor" club hasn't shown up. I'm not sure how to act if silence persists, as the universe may implode.

Last edited by iclick; 06-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting new GS tomorrow, first things to do ?