C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting new GS tomorrow, first things to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

i HAVE the POWER stops AND i DON'T have BROWN rotors !!!!!
RiCh !!

Last edited by Vette Ski; 06-17-2019 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
There's been a disturbance in The Force. It's been >24 hours since 1Fine99 posted his pad question and the "brown rotor" club hasn't shown up. I'm not sure how to act if silence persists, as the universe may implode.
The silence is deafening.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel yell
the silence is deafening.
will you please stop yelling !!!
rich
Rebel Yell (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Oh nooooooooooooooo, now you've done it. Que the war on brake pads in 1-2-3........ There are two different camps for brake pads here on the forum.
There's been a disturbance in The Force. It's been >24 hours since 1Fine99 posted his pad question and the "brown rotor" club hasn't shown up. I'm not sure how to act if silence persists, as the universe may implode.
Thought this Thread was dead, but you obviously like to stir the pot!

Funny for two years I've posted my findings about PowerStop pads and why I removed them after 900 miles and installed Carbotech pads. Had some comments BUT just posted what I found and ended with "Your Choice." But recently several folks posted rude witless comments (not either of you) questioning where I got the brake pad temp numbers (which are published by Carbotech, HAWK and other "quality pads" but only he Max temp by Powerstop.) Normally don't like to post tech info as it puts some folks to sleep, but did about the SAE Test J866A that DOT requires for both Cold and HOT pads. Unfortunately DOT cold temp test requirement is @ 250F, too high for quantifying stopping performance when pads are at ambient or under 200F. The OEM Brembo pads and Carbotech 1521 pads provide excellent stops from ambient to high temps! They also intimated I was making up other posts that supported my findings. I have to thank them because they got others to post their similar experience to mine AND caused me to improve my graphic!

The graphic below is a summary of what I found after buying PowerStop pads for my new Grand Sport because they were so cheap and seeing positive Forum comments. Found they did not perform like the OEM Brembo pads when cold so replaced them with more expensive Carbotech 1521 that are low dust and stop at least as good with cold and hot pads as the OEM Brembo pads.

These are 6 other Forum members who posted essentially what I found. Some are full posts, some excerpts re cold pads. Their full posts and other brake pad info are included in my “How To Install" pic/text PDF: http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Z06NJ
Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. … But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody"

village idiot (avid Tracker)
I put the on PowerStop Z26 pads and I seriously regret it. Braking power and bite sucks compared to OEM. It was actually kind of dangerous…

fugly
PowerStop Z26 Stopping Power is Not as good as the OEM brake pads (Z51). After 20k+ miles on the OEMs, I was tired of the brake dust. Put on the Z26s a few weeks ago. I was playing racer boy to make a left turn light and then braked hard. Noticeable difference. A little unnerving, actually. ..I hope, though, that in emergency braking situations, when ABS kicks in, the difference in pads won't matter...? I'd hate to think that I am increasing my (and others') risk in order to cut down on brake dust. I realize now how good those OEM pads are (for the street, anyway.)

tome
I have had both (Carbotech and PowerStop Z26 pads) on two different C7's and I certainly feel the Z26 aren't even close to Carbotech and OEM on initial bite. Plus the Z26 do require a more aggressive pedal.

nikeair042 CF Senior Member
I didn't go with the Extreme (Z26), I just went with the regular ones. Performance, it's not as good as the Brembo's. Anyone who tells you different is lying or they have no sense of performance. The initial bite of the Brembo's is incredible. With the PowerStops, it takes a bit more pressure. …
I had Carbotech pads on my Z51. The performance felt similar to the Brembo's, very similar.

lakemg CF Senior Member
I've been rocking the Z26 pads for a few years now and no issues. I notice that when cold, they don't bite quite like the stock Z51 Brembo pads, but I could still cause any passenger to face plant the dashboard with the Z26 pads, if they didn't have their seat belt on. I'll happy give up a little bite for the reduction of dust.

Folks ready to get low dust pads for their Z51, Grand Sport or Z06 can read the info and decide!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-19-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:30 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

I have the factory rear pads still on my 2019 GS as the brake dust is half what the front created. I replaced my front pads with ceramic low dust duralast gold from autozone @ 69.99. Here is a pic of the front and rear rotors, damn close to the same color and the front has very little brake dust now...god bless

Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
Thought this Thread was dead, but you obviously like to stir the pot!
Jerry, me, stir the pot, never................................

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-18-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 PM
Prowler58
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FINE99
What would you do first other than drive it and enjoy it ? Already have a Range waiting .!
Gas door plug ,alignment for street as I will not track it , turn off passive lock ? Looks like a lot of things to read about and to learn !!
So Glad you asked this Qu ! I Too Ordered a Grand Sport . My build date is July 15 , so I’ve got some waiting to do , and researching all this as well . Lots of great advice here .
Rebel Yell (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Prowler58
So Glad you asked this Qu ! I Too Ordered a Grand Sport . My build date is July 15 , so I’ve got some waiting to do , and researching all this as well . Lots of great advice here .
Welcome to the forum Prowler. There are a lot of good folks here ready to help. Congratulations on the new GS. With respect to the late Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part".
Prowler58 (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Getting new GS tomorrow, first things to do ?