Sponsored by:

M7 electronic gear sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 AM
LaTechEE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M7 electronic gear sensor issue

I've got a certified 2014 M7 Z51 with around 16000 miles on it. I recently had an issue where the current gear wouldn't display in the dash and it threw some engine codes. I took it to the dealer to confirm the code and service, and presently they say the sensor is backordered nationwide with no ETA for the part. It's been at the dealer for approximately 4 weeks with no end in sight for getting this part replaced. I generally don't touch transmission issues, especially on this car since it's certified and warrantied. Anyone else experienced a similar issue in your M7? It's very low mileage and it has been seriously babied since I've had it for the past couple of years.

Side note, there was no noticeable transmission issues associated with this, the car just would not display the present gear or do rev-match as a result.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Why leave it with the dealer... Can it not be driven without the sensor in the interim? Does it go into limp mode? I wonder if the gear position feeds more than just the display. Hope this doesn't happen to my M7.

Last edited by raylo; 06-21-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'd call Chevrolet Customer care and confirm what the dealer is telling you. Get it documented.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
Why leave it with the dealer... Can it not be driven without the sensor in the interim? Does it go into limp mode? I wonder if the gear position feeds more than just the display. Hope this doesn't happen to my M7.
I agree. Unless there is an issue where the car can't be driven I always drive it until the parts come in. They should have been able to diagnose the problem without taking the transmission out of the car.

Parts back orders occur for a lot of reasons but I suspect the most common issue is GM's Service Parts Organization changing suppliers or negotiating new contracts with the current supplier. They would try to make sure they have just enough parts in the supply chain to support field maintenance but not so many they incur higher inventory costs. The assembly plant orders parts based on its production needs with maybe a very small amount of surplus to allow for handling issues so Service Parts has their own supply stream which is probably a lot less predictable.

Bill
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Here's a link to the only other reported M7 gear selector indicator issue that I recall:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-problem.html

GL

Ron
Old 06-21-2019, 10:51 AM
raylo
Drifting

OOF. But I can't believe the last poster there who said he did the job easily on jack stands at home, including dropping the tranny. From that diagram I wonder if this is one of those jobs where it might almost make sense to cut an access hole in the hatch floor and go in through the top. Some folks in the 4th gen f-body world did that for fuel pumps in lieu of dropping the tank. I know, not ideal. But $2000 in labor at the dealer. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by RonC7
Here's a link to the only other reported M7 gear selector indicator issue that I recall:

GL

Ron

Last edited by raylo; 06-21-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:21 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

OOF. But I can't believe the last poster there who said he did the job easily on jack stands at home, including dropping the tranny.
I was the last poster on the linked thread... you misunderstood my post - I never dropped the tranny (way beyond my skills and tools!)

To recap: I did NOT have the problem described here, my problem was just with the reverse lights and backup cam.
Thus I only replaced the reverse sensor which is on the SIDE of the transmission, not the TOP thankfully
This reverse sensor replacement is a simple as putting in the CAGS eliminator, so very easy and well documented around here.

Sorry for any confusion resulting from that linked thread.
The following users liked this post:
raylo (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:30 AM
raylo
Drifting

I see, said the blind man. Thanks. Those are great pics, BTW. Be nice if we had a sticky here with various views of the guts for the entire car.

Originally Posted by JMII
I was the last poster on the linked thread... you misunderstood my post - I never dropped the tranny (way beyond my skills and tools!)

To recap: I did NOT have the problem described here, my problem was just with the reverse lights and backup cam.
Thus I only replaced the reverse sensor which is on the SIDE of the transmission, not the TOP thankfully
This reverse sensor replacement is a simple as putting in the CAGS eliminator, so very easy and well documented around here.

Sorry for any confusion resulting from that linked thread.
The following users liked this post:
JMII (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Those are great pics, BTW. Be nice if we had a sticky here with various views of the guts for the entire car.
Thanks - I found them by searching https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com once on that site you can drill down by selecting year, make, model, options, etc then click on the area of the vehicle you are interested in. I've also used this site to confirm parts numbers when ordering various bits from RockAuto.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
raylo (06-21-2019), RonC7 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

No issues driving it and you left it at the dealer's for four weeks!?! WHY?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 PM
LaTechEE
Advanced

It doesn't go into limp mode. It's not my daily driver. I'm also in the process of relocating across the country, so I'm leaving it at a dealer vs putting it in storage. The next time I drive it, it will be to move it.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:46 PM
LaTechEE
Advanced

Originally Posted by Avanti
No issues driving it and you left it at the dealer's for four weeks!?! WHY?
I'm in the process of moving and it's not my daily driver so I don't need it. Also the dealer suggested not driving until the transmission is sorted out. Also, thanks for the useful response.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 PM
LaTechEE
Advanced

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I'd call Chevrolet Customer care and confirm what the dealer is telling you. Get it documented.
Thanks, I am going to check with them and confirm.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 PM
LaTechEE
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonC7

GL

Ron
Thanks, this looks exactly to be the same problem with the transmission. The only complication is the backordered status of the parts.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,284 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sure hope you can get it fixed soon. Four weeks is a long time to have the car tied up at a dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To M7 electronic gear sensor issue

Quick Reply: M7 electronic gear sensor issue