Sponsored by:

Corvette SUV...seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts
Default Corvette SUV...seriously?

Just read on CarBuzz that Bob Lutz believe it is a good idea for the survival of the brand. GM please don’t do it there’s is more than enough of those on the road

Popular Reply

06-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Why not, it certainly works for Porsche and even Lamborghini.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

LT4 with the ZL1 10 speed in the Blazer with an AWD setup that can hold the power. Give it mag ride performance suspension, 19's or 20's, Z06/GS brakes, nicer interior. I would guess that almost all of that could be done with off the shelf parts and not cost GM much to develop...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by captain vette
Just read on CarBuzz that Bob Lutz believe it is a good idea for the survival of the brand. GM please don’t do it there’s is more than enough of those on the road

Bob Lutz thought that the Avalanche with its plastic cladding was terrible, and made sure that a) there was an Avalanche without it, and b) dealers had a hard time ordering them WITH the cladding. End result? Avalanche stopped production in 2013.

Bob doesn't always have the best of ideas.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The following 9 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
23/C8Z (06-30-2019), beaversstonehaven (06-30-2019), Corvette ED (06-30-2019), DeStreGa5 (06-24-2019), ftrusty (06-30-2019), Harbgrogan (06-25-2019), Psychodo (06-30-2019), USMC 0802 (06-24-2019), vdavenp802 (06-24-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 AM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I felt for a while GM should make the corvette brand much like Porsche did a few year ago...Now Porsche is very profitable. Meaning, make a corvette version of a sedan and yes a SUV. I am not a fan of SUV but most folks love them. Lamborghini has one now and Ferrari will have one soon.

Also, a few different version of corvette. I really do think there will be a Front mid engine corvette sold along side the Rear mid engine corvette in 2020 and beyond.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

My wife wanted one of these massively popular potatoes with wheels so I bought her one and it's ok transportation but that's about it if you compare it to almost anything else. Sure, you sit up a bit higher, it has AWD to get through the snow, has adequate passing power, and get's decent fuel economy but anyone who's really honest about them regardless of how much HP they have and how good the brakes and handling are the short wheelbase and limited utility of the small and mid-size variants is just nothing but a compromise in nearly every category.

Any sedan with similar or greater HP is going to handle better, offer far better comfort, more room for passengers in the second row and on average more cargo room behind that roomier and far more comfortable second row. The fact that sedans will always do better in the fuel economy race is likely the only thing saving them at the moment. The third row argument is just dumb as they are all but absolutely useless even in my full size Armada and cargo space goes to nearly nothing with the third row in use. I only have a full size SUV in my garage to tow my trailers with and because I really have no use for a pickup truck.

Could GM sell a Corvette SUV in some sort of volume? Probably because everyone seems to want one these days over a sedan and it would be different and yet again another choice in a sea of choices but they already have Cadillac trying to fill that void and if they cannot succeed there I am not sure just by expanding Corvette to encompass an SUV sub-brand really makes it a home run for Chevy. The Blazer was an opportunity to bring a better small/mid size SUV to market that could possibly compete in the performance arena similar to what Jeep is doing. Unfortunately the new Blazer is being considered as another in the latest line of mediocre, poor value vehicles being churned out by GM. In my opinion GM has much larger issues to solve in their existing brands before they expand Corvette into yet another brand.

Last edited by JDSKY; 06-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM
rip74
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts

I daily drive a '17 GS Z07 but there are times I need space for three. Due to lack of a fast SUV/CUV in the GM lineup, I've been forced to look at Grand Cherokee Trackhawks and SRTs. I'd love to see GM make something to rival the Urus while they are moving to the mid-engined layout with the C8. Prior to it's release, I thought the Blazer might get a really high output model with AWD but that isn't a market they are interested in with it. I know there are high output sedans from Cadillac but I need to be able to drive out onto the beach with it, I've helped push too many cars (and 2WD trucks with open diffs) out of the loose sand!

The Germans have alot of options but the value seems low as they have very high prices and expensive expensive repair/maintenance costs.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I have been saying this for several years now.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:08 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Hmm?

Read there is a waiting list for Bentley Bentayga and Rolls Royce Cullinan SUVs. Priced well north of $200K per each. With tax, license, and dealer prep of course. We considered a Porsche Cayman before cooler heads prevailed. Brand extensions are the New World Order.

Problem with these cars? They have habit of wanting to return to the mother ship. AKA the dealership's service drive. Preferring to arrive on a roll back.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM
rip74
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
My wife wanted one of these massively popular potatoes with wheels so I bought her one and it's ok transportation but that's about it if you compare it to almost anything else. Sure, you sit up a bit higher, it has AWD to get through the snow, has adequate passing power, and get's decent fuel economy but anyone who's really honest about them regardless of how much HP they have and how good the brakes and handling are the short wheelbase and limited utility of the small and mid-size variants is just nothing but a compromise in nearly every category.

Any sedan with similar or greater HP is going to handle better, offer far better comfort, more room for passengers in the second row and on average more cargo room behind that roomier and far more comfortable second row. The fact that sedans will always do better in the fuel economy race is likely the only thing saving them at the moment. The third row argument is just dumb as they are all but absolutely useless even in my full size Armada and cargo space goes to nearly nothing with the third row in use. I only have a full size SUV in my garage to tow my trailers with and because I really have no use for a pickup truck.

Could GM sell a Corvette SUV in some sort of volume? Probably because everyone seems to want one these days over a sedan and it would be different and yet again another choice in a sea of choices but they already have Cadillac trying to fill that void and if they cannot succeed there I am not sure just by expanding Corvette to encompass an SUV sub-brand really makes it a home run for Chevy. The Blazer was an opportunity to bring a better small/mid size SUV to market that could possibly compete in the performance arena similar to what Jeep is doing. Unfortunately the new Blazer is being considered as another in the latest line of mediocre, poor value vehicles being churned out by GM. In my opinion GM has much larger issues to solve in their existing brands before they expand Corvette into yet another brand.
I'm not with you on the second row being roomier in sedans, I guess in the small and coupe style variants that may be true. Other than that I agree that every vehicle is a compromise. I'll take my high powered potato with AWD, a V8 with 10 speed auto (think ZL1), optional carbon ceramic brakes, and a few inch lift and all terrain tires. Yes, I'd like a fast off road lite model which doesn't really exist in any form right now.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

If they do, they better not use the Made-in-Mexico Blazer. That won't go over to well with a good portion of the corvette market.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
it is a Porsche suv not a 911 suv, it is a Lamborghini suv not a Huracan suv. That's the difference!
The following users liked this post:
Apocolips (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep... no one puts the name of their sports car on an SUV.
Porsche and Lambo make wagons, and SUVs called the Panamera, Macan, Urus, etc.

GM makes a sports car called the Corvette, and SUVs called... whatever they are called. They already make a whole lot more of them than Porsche or Lambo.
The following 3 users liked this post by ny32182:
Apocolips (06-25-2019), LimeyC5 (06-25-2019), saleen556 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:19 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by captain vette
I agree that they should not do it.
IMO, what they should do is continue to make the Chevrolet Corvette and then make some hot hotter motored models of the Chevrolet Blazer RS.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This would be fantastic if it were a true competitor to the Cayenne. However, knowing GM it would be another Trailblazer SS: a hoopty SUV with an engine transplant and no other tangible performance improvements.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Wanderlust
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rip74
Yes, I'd like a fast off road lite model which doesn't really exist in any form right now.
This is basically what you will get with a Rivian SUV (assuming it gets built as advertised).
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

99% of the garbage i see with the wings on it sez "licensed by GM" GM lawyers in hot pursuit of the other 1%.

GM be milking the trademark as much as they can. They oughtah just do a hostile takeover of Piloti.

they even be stamping wings on the Fiero now.

GM can call every truck and ute and moped they make Corvette. Why not a Corvette +4 (Camaro) for the four seater gang?

i only (now used to) go shopping at the Chevy store for real Corvettes. They be color me gone this year.

Toyota, (#1 and #2 at LeMans, this year AND last), be getting every dime of my seedan, truck and Ute money.

And just to remind me why i go Toyo.....once in a awhile, i'll get a Chitty at the rental booth, last one a 2018 Mailibu 36,400 miles in October 2018. 5 miles into the rental, the orange motor lights up, and the DIC says "Reduced Engine Power" WTF!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette SUV...seriously?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by naylor99
Bob Lutz thought that the Avalanche with its plastic cladding was terrible, and made sure that a) there was an Avalanche without it, and b) dealers had a hard time ordering them WITH the cladding. End result? Avalanche stopped production in 2013.

Bob doesn't always have the best of ideas.
Yeah the only advice I would take seriously from Bob is to get a good brand of cigar (if I were a smoker)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

We build an SUV which is like a Corvette that hauls you and 6 (or 7) of your friends. It hauls in other ways, too!

More info:
www.callawaycars.com
info@callawaycars.com

Psychodo (06-30-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

^^^^^ Those look good ^^^^^