C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 24 hours in Manhattan in a C7 Z51 - WORST back pain ever, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM
futuregopher
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts
Default First 24 hours in Manhattan in a C7 Z51 - WORST back pain ever, but...

Took delivery of a yellow CPO 2014 C7 Z51 w 6 spd auto on saturday afternoon and wow - this car is SO COOL. Awesome sound, blah blah, everyone knows so not going into detail here.

But the most surprising thing is just the reactions I got. I was expecting people to look at me and my car but just the reactions from the people really just took me by surprise. Granted I live in NYC so there are some characters here and there.

I was waiting for an older guy to cross the street and he gave me a thumbs up and said nice car.

A younger kid was taking a picture of my car while I was just parked by the street using public wifi trying to figure out the car using youtube (I'm a cheap wifi no data kinda guy)

5 minutes later, this guy came up to me right as I was about to drive away and we chatted for a few minutes about the C7 and his plymout prowler lol. Definitely a car guy and knew his stuff. Cool dude and probably would be on this forum. So if it was you - I wish I could have given you a ride but I had to drive off to meet the gf -___- Sorry but definitely next time!!

Pretty attractive girl gave me the look when I was talking to the guy lol. I joked that she was giving HIM the look, not me lol

A guy looked at me and tried to hail me as a taxi bc of the yellow car then I laughed and he said nice car.

Took the car for a midnight drive on the FDR/west side highway and some drunk girls in their ubers would scream nice car, cool car, wave etc

Homeless guy offered me to look after the car after I left

GF said she O'ed after 5 minutes of first getting into the car (something I've never done to her . ok ok sorry I'll keep it PG. This may or may not have been true but I'm just repeating what she said verbatim lol

BUT after we got back home from the FDR/west side highway, I had the WORST BACK PAIN EVER. It was hard to even stand up. I did my best to adjust the seats to a proper seating position but still didn't help. I did test drive an ND1 miata and I had similar back pain after a 5 minute test drive. I don't drive with anything in my back pockets so it couldn't have been a wallet, phone, etc. I do have the competition seats so maybe that was it but I feel like for the extra money, these competition seats should be MORE comfortable instead of giving me worse back pain. It started hurting 30 minutes after my drive home from the dealer. I'm 29 and I am extremely fit around 9% body fat so it's not like I'm out of shape. So I go to bed that night pretty sad that I got this car but I wouldn't really enjoy driving it.

The next morning my back was still in really bad pain but I could walk and whatever so we decide to drive to coney island beach. It's an hour drive from midtown but after the first 30 minutes I notice that I'm no longer in pain...the seats actually feel comfortable. No more pain. Did not move the seats at all. Did not take any advil or pain medication. NOTHING changed BUT THE PAIN WENT AWAY. YES! I will no longer have to drive with a back pillow!!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Stranger things have happened goofer. But, I'm glad it all worked out. Congratulations, and enjoy the ride.

Oh and,
Old 06-24-2019, 01:18 PM
futuregopher
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts

^^^ Feels GREAT TO BUY AMERICAN!!!

saw another yellow one while cruising so thought it would be a nice pic

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-24-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Now your cooking brother. It's a beauty, I do like the yellow.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:24 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Yellow C7's definitely grab people's attention.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I got the same car!! Its great. I love it. Enjoy it. Daily Driving, OH YA!!!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

Mmmm...bummer about your back. Competition seats will NOT be more comfortable...they are made for the track and shorter periods of drive time. However, with that said - they are not as extreme as some track only cars - so they should be OK for a daily driver or 3 or 4 hours.

I would make sure you adjust them correctly. Your hands should be at 9 and 3 on the steering wheel and elbows just a little bent. The back of your seat should be almost at 90 degrees. Adjust the lumbar support as needed. If you are tall perhaps the seats are not long enough.

I am 54 and can drive my corvette for hours with back pain...but I do not have the competition seats...wish I did.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal that the pain went away. Now just keep enjoying the car.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Glad to hear the back pain went away. Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To First 24 hours in Manhattan in a C7 Z51 - WORST back pain ever, but...

Quick Reply: First 24 hours in Manhattan in a C7 Z51 - WORST back pain ever, but...