My first 1,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:10 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts
Default My first 1,000 miles

Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts

I would like to share with you my thoughts of my/the c7 after 1000 miles / 8 weeks of ownership. I will go over briefly the corvette lineup -in case there are anyone really new to corvette looking to purchase one – knowing your options increases a happy purchase experience. Why I picked the corvette model I did and then my thoughts of the c7 after owning for 1000 miles and/or 8 months.

Corvette Lineup

Stingray – good choose if this is your first corvette AND you are a very practical person. If you yearn to have features on your corvette that are common to other high end sport cars this model is NOT for you. But if you want a very good sports car and the best bang for your dollar ….this is the Corvette for you.

Stingray Z51 – Here the stingray comes with some nice sport car features, eLSD, Sports Suspension, Sports Gearing, Dry oil system, bigger brakes and Sport exhaust.

Grand Sport – Adds to the Z51 package by taking the sports suspension another level, bigger brakes, bigger tires, wider body, and include Mag ride.

Z06 – Take the grand sport above and add a 650 HP engine.

ZR! – Even more HP and lots of fiber carbon.

My opinion on the corvette level minimal purchase..

My first corvette was a C6 and I went very bang for the buck and missed many of the features I kept reading about but did not have. So I suggest at the very least get

Z51 – need those nice sports car features

Mag ride – great technology. Used by all the great sports cars out there.

2LT – this is a trim package which all the models above can have. In fact each model comes in 1lt, 2lt, or 3lt. 2LT gives you among other things Head up display. If you get a corvette got to have the heads up display. Another feature of the 2lt are dimming mirrors If you had them on other cars you will miss this on a low riding car at night time. Better stereo…listen to a song you know in a 1lT and then a 2lt – you will be able to tell the difference. I would also get the PDR which makes you get the NAV. I think the NAV on the Corvette is very good but you will get mixed opinions here.

My Corvette,

I went with a CPO 2018 Z51 stingray. It had 4500 miles at my purchase. A CPO gives you an extra 1 year warranty (so I have 37 months/48 months) Also, gives you 3 months of XM and OnStar.

The original MSRP on the corvette was 73,500. My price was 54,400. The Dealer gave me 14,000 for my 2012 Audi TT with 85,000 miles so add about 3500 for tax and plate – 43,500 for my Corvette.

The features of my corvette was just what I suggested above…2lt,mag ride, Nav and PDR. Some other extra stuff are the red brake calipers, carbon fiber painted hood stripe, carbon fiber painted side mirrors and spoiler. Transparent top, black wheels and the black out badge package. The color is Watkins Glen Gray with two tone red leather/black suede seats. This combo also give you suede steering wheel and shifter.

My thoughts.

Great car….i often go out to the garage and just look at it. Sometimes, I open the door, grab the sticker and sit inside and read the sticker. Of course, I also sometimes take it for a drive.

What is missing

The cargo area around the wheel wells is plastic and I believe in the C6 it was carpet. This is a small issue for me because sometimes I place my bike cycle in the cargo area and the plastic scuffs pretty easily.

Wish the corvette had auto turn on wipers…really is a nice feature but OK.

When I first tried the heated seats I thought they sucked. It just takes them about 10 min to warmup. The vented seats so far are working great.

The way the corvette takes turns and stays so flat makes driving very fun. Of course, the NPP exhaust note is pure music with the auto rev matching. I am getting use to the clutch and getting better going from 5th to 6th and to 7th. Sometimes I still find it difficult to find 7th. I think another 1000 miles and should really not have much trouble.

So far the interior does not have any issues. No leather issues or leather coming split. Glad to see on the C7 where you grab the handle to press the button to unlock the door has leather around it – if you recall in the c6 it was plastic and would scratch really easy. The inside is two tone and it seems if you are over 65 you do not like it…want all black..if under 60 you love the look. This is just based on people I know and have asked or those which offered comments.

So far I do not have any issues with the corvette from a warranty point of view. There was one time I started the corvette and all the screens where black and the heads up did not display. I freaked out at first but after about 30 seconds I just shut the corvette off. Opened the door, walked around the corvette. Got back in and started it again…all good.

Many times when I drive the corvette many folks ask about the it. I was stopped in a parking lot taking a phone call when two boys (guessing about 12 years old) walked by and gave me a thumbs up.

Well, I hope to make regular reports so folks can see how the Corvette does for me. Next report will be after the first service and then perhaps one each quarter.

Hope you enjoyed the read. Comments are always welcome. I posted some Pics below of my love.

Last edited by dave_2012_tt; 07-09-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: changed z51 to zr1
The following 8 users liked this post by dave_2012_tt:
boss2k (07-06-2020), ClipperFan (07-05-2020), edweiler (07-05-2020), Jmhornz71 (07-04-2020), joemessman (07-09-2019), MDmotorman (07-04-2020), Null Pointer (07-08-2019), tnfan (07-08-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Man, that's one sharp ride! You did GOOD! I doubt you'll have any problems with it. Sounds like its going to be mostly a weekend driver for you.

If you haven't done it already, try the active rev matching. I love it for spirited drives in the country or making a little noise around town.

7th gear is a little tough to get used to. I hardly use it in mine. It's not really useful unless you are on the interstate and traveling over 70 MPH. It easily cruises at 85-95 in 7th gear. You've got to watch yourself or you'll end up with a mean ticket.

You can play around with the NPP, having it change modes as you change the drive mode or you can keep it in a single mode. I keep mine in "track", no matter what drive mode I have the car in. It's nice and loud, but tunes out the drone between 1600-1800 RPM. (Some people pull the fuse for the NPP, which leaves the valves permanently in the "open" position. It's great but it does have a drone that rattles the rear hatch.)

Make sure that the shop you take it to knows how to work on Corvettes. Ask them if they have the lifting pucks or if you should provide them. Also, make sure they know how much oil to put into the car. The Z51 can have problems if the tank is over filled. Check your owner's manual just to be sure before you take it into the dealer. Quiz your service writer, and then check the fill level once you get home. I had to syphon out an entire quart because the ding dong over-filled it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billy346:
arbitrator (07-04-2020), MDmotorman (07-04-2020)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:27 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

Very nice car and color combo, congrats and enjoy thousands of trouble free miles
Old 07-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Congrats and nice review. I think you meant ZR1 instead of Z51 in one part.
The following users liked this post:
SingleTrackMinded (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Congratulations and love the color combo!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Beautiful car - love the mod red interior. Nice review and hope you continue to enjoy the car for a long time.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Nice review. Love your color combo.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:44 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Default my first 1000 miles - updated- now 1 year

I have had my CPO Corvette for about 1 year now. So far a very good experience. The Corvette is my only car so around November I swapped the Summer tires for All season....SuperSports to AS3plus. Now, I made the swap so I could drive when 30 or below or a little snow on the ground. I actually enjoyed the noise the tires made and the dirt they attracted but am pleased with the all seasons. If someone swapped the tires from the Super Sports to the AS3 and I was not aware I to not think I would notice based on the drive. Of course I would look after less noise and the lackof skipping on tight slow turns.

Had to take the Corvette in for an oil change and all I can say there is at least they changed it correctly. Despite an Appt and being on time took 1.5 hours. I if I did not ask twice about how it was going I think I would still be there. I went to the a top 30 corvette dealer and number one in the state but going to try a dealer 3 miles from my house next time and see how it goes. I will talk with them first and check the place out. I think you can tell a lot about a place just walking around and watching the workers.

I did purchase an extended warranty for 72 months and 85,000 miles - GMPP plat one. Costing me about 250 a year...thought it was a decent deal and the part I like about is you still get an email from GM asking about your experience. At least some leverage with the dealership.

I am glad I really do not have much more to write. I also purchased a foam gun and a master blaster to dry the corvette. If you are washing your corvette I highly recommend these two items...they let you wash the corvette without anything really touching it.

Well happy 4th everyone and enjoy your Corvette...as they say it is NOT a car it is a Corvette.

Dave
arbitrator (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Do have sources for the Foam cannon and Master Blaster to share? I'd love to dry the Corvette in 3 minutes vs chamois.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-04-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM
arbitrator
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:08 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Do have sources for the Foam cannon and Master Blaster to share? I'd love to dry the Corvette in 3 minutes vs chamois.
I bought my Master Blaster about 7 years or so ago. I purchased mine from Adams Polish. Auto geek also carries Master Blaster. Adams now has there own Version of Master Blaster.There not cheep but really helps out when drying our 3 vehicles. Master Blaster comes in different hp models. Picture of Master Blaster I posted is the 8 hp which I purchased. The model I have has two speeds. Two separate toggle switches one for 4 hp other for 8 hp.

Adams Verizon

Master Blaster

Both companies are having July 4th sales ! I can’t comment on the Adams model as I have the Master Blaster model .

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 07-04-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Skid Row Joe (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 03:26 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

here are the link to the foam cannon and master blaster. If you sign up you get 20% off....
https://www.chemicalguys.com/metro-m...er/MB-3CD.html

https://www.chemicalguys.com/torq-pr...on/EQP321.html

https://www.chemicalguys.com/honeyde...WS_110_16.html
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-...her/1001029294

The above is what you need. First link is the foam cannon, 2nd link is the master blaster to dry the car, the 3rd link is the soap for the foam cannon, and the 4th link is the pressure waster needed for the foam cannon.

I am very pleased with all 4 products.

Skid Row Joe (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 04:22 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Glad to hear all is OK. And I'm sure you know now kids and old men love'm.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:31 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,118 Likes on 528 Posts

You got a good deal. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:01 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt
Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts

I would like to share with you my thoughts of my/the c7 after 1000 miles / 8 weeks of ownership. I will go over briefly the corvette lineup -in case there are anyone really new to corvette looking to purchase one – knowing your options increases a happy purchase experience. Why I picked the corvette model I did and then my thoughts of the c7 after owning for 1000 miles and/or 8 months.

Corvette Lineup

Stingray – good choose if this is your first corvette AND you are a very practical person. If you yearn to have features on your corvette that are common to other high end sport cars this model is NOT for you. But if you want a very good sports car and the best bang for your dollar ….this is the Corvette for you.

Stingray Z51 – Here the stingray comes with some nice sport car features, eLSD, Sports Suspension, Sports Gearing, Dry oil system, bigger brakes and Sport exhaust.

Grand Sport – Adds to the Z51 package by taking the sports suspension another level, bigger brakes, bigger tires, wider body, and include Mag ride.

Z06 – Take the grand sport above and add a 650 HP engine.

ZR! – Even more HP and lots of fiber carbon.

My opinion on the corvette level minimal purchase..

My first corvette was a C6 and I went very bang for the buck and missed many of the features I kept reading about but did not have. So I suggest at the very least get

Z51 – need those nice sports car features

Mag ride – great technology. Used by all the great sports cars out there.

2LT – this is a trim package which all the models above can have. In fact each model comes in 1lt, 2lt, or 3lt. 2LT gives you among other things Head up display. If you get a corvette got to have the heads up display. Another feature of the 2lt are dimming mirrors If you had them on other cars you will miss this on a low riding car at night time. Better stereo…listen to a song you know in a 1lT and then a 2lt – you will be able to tell the difference. I would also get the PDR which makes you get the NAV. I think the NAV on the Corvette is very good but you will get mixed opinions here.

My Corvette,

I went with a CPO 2018 Z51 stingray. It had 4500 miles at my purchase. A CPO gives you an extra 1 year warranty (so I have 37 months/48 months) Also, gives you 3 months of XM and OnStar.

The original MSRP on the corvette was 73,500. My price was 54,400. The Dealer gave me 14,000 for my 2012 Audi TT with 85,000 miles so add about 3500 for tax and plate – 43,500 for my Corvette.

The features of my corvette was just what I suggested above…2lt,mag ride, Nav and PDR. Some other extra stuff are the red brake calipers, carbon fiber painted hood stripe, carbon fiber painted side mirrors and spoiler. Transparent top, black wheels and the black out badge package. The color is Watkins Glen Gray with two tone red leather/black suede seats. This combo also give you suede steering wheel and shifter.

My thoughts.

Great car….i often go out to the garage and just look at it. Sometimes, I open the door, grab the sticker and sit inside and read the sticker. Of course, I also sometimes take it for a drive.

What is missing

The cargo area around the wheel wells is plastic and I believe in the C6 it was carpet. This is a small issue for me because sometimes I place my bike cycle in the cargo area and the plastic scuffs pretty easily.

Wish the corvette had auto turn on wipers…really is a nice feature but OK.

When I first tried the heated seats I thought they sucked. It just takes them about 10 min to warmup. The vented seats so far are working great.

The way the corvette takes turns and stays so flat makes driving very fun. Of course, the NPP exhaust note is pure music with the auto rev matching. I am getting use to the clutch and getting better going from 5th to 6th and to 7th. Sometimes I still find it difficult to find 7th. I think another 1000 miles and should really not have much trouble.

So far the interior does not have any issues. No leather issues or leather coming split. Glad to see on the C7 where you grab the handle to press the button to unlock the door has leather around it – if you recall in the c6 it was plastic and would scratch really easy. The inside is two tone and it seems if you are over 65 you do not like it…want all black..if under 60 you love the look. This is just based on people I know and have asked or those which offered comments.

So far I do not have any issues with the corvette from a warranty point of view. There was one time I started the corvette and all the screens where black and the heads up did not display. I freaked out at first but after about 30 seconds I just shut the corvette off. Opened the door, walked around the corvette. Got back in and started it again…all good.

Many times when I drive the corvette many folks ask about the it. I was stopped in a parking lot taking a phone call when two boys (guessing about 12 years old) walked by and gave me a thumbs up.

Well, I hope to make regular reports so folks can see how the Corvette does for me. Next report will be after the first service and then perhaps one each quarter.

Hope you enjoyed the read. Comments are always welcome. I posted some Pics below of my love.

Did you black out the chrome strip in the grill? If so how did you do it?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:03 PM
CourtneyJudd
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 95 Posts

your first two mods should be a Solar throttle body spacer and a MGW shifter... make it a different animal! Nice vette!
Old 07-04-2020, 09:37 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm 69 and I love my two tone interior !

Ron_Attleboro_MA (07-05-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To My first 1,000 miles

Old 07-05-2020, 04:13 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I predict you will miss the craftsmanship of the Audi as time goes by. I have owned both brands....Audi and Corvette...both my C7s were great cars, but cannot match the luxury cars for fit and finish...after a while you can't help but notice the difference. Corvettes have cheap looking carpet...doors that close with a slight rattle...poor panel fit and orange peely paint...etc. Luxury cars like the TT and other brands (Lexus is the current gold-standard) are just better assembled and markedly better finished. Don't get me wrong, performance per dollar is unmatched in the Corvette - and the new C8 is almost beyond belief! It all comes down to what you value more. I currently own an Audi AND a C7....love them both equally - for different reasons.

Good luck with your new car!
Old 07-05-2020, 05:20 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY
I predict you will miss the craftsmanship of the Audi as time goes by. I have owned both brands....Audi and Corvette...both my C7s were great cars, but cannot match the luxury cars for fit and finish...after a while you can't help but notice the difference. Corvettes have cheap looking carpet...doors that close with a slight rattle...poor panel fit and orange peely paint...etc. Luxury cars like the TT and other brands (Lexus is the current gold-standard) are just better assembled and markedly better finished. Don't get me wrong, performance per dollar is unmatched in the Corvette - and the new C8 is almost beyond belief! It all comes down to what you value more. I currently own an Audi AND a C7....love them both equally - for different reasons.

Good luck with your new car!
n
thank you. I did not mention it because I thought it would take away from the main point of the post but I did have a C6 back in 2010. I came from a MB. Yes, I was not ready for the changes between the cars fit, finish, and the dealer treatment. I traded the corvette about a year later and purchased the TT . This time I knew what to expect - so your post is on point but should I think all will work out.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I’ve owned three Audi’s from 2006 to 2014 and never felt the interiors were anything special. Maybe I expected more because of all the hoopla about how great they are. I found them pretty ordinary at best.
My 2006 had a rattle in the rear driver side that was never figured out and my 2009 had many electrical gremlins. My 2014 was better but I never felt like any of the interiors were impressive.

My Corvette is the only car I ever owned that after two years I still look forward to driving it everyday. The interior also is more impressive than any of my Audi’s.
dcarr (07-07-2020)

Quick Reply: My first 1,000 miles