Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stealership says I need them to program key fob

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership says I need them to program key fob

Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 AM
Sylvrbak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stealership says I need them to program key fob

So recently left one of my key fobs in the DR during a week of heavy drinking and relaxing by the beach. So I decided to pick up a new one at the dealer, needed the laser cut emergency key and wanted to ensure the correct fob for my 17 GS Coupe A8.

The Parts manager said he'd call when the key came in and a few days later he calls and i swing by to pick up the key, what would happen next was unimaginable, not to mention extremely unprofessional. The same gentleman who placed the fob and key on order, refused to hand over the parts i ordered. Simply stating that i need to take my car over to service so they can program the new key to my vehicle. I shared with him that i plan to program it myself. He still declined to provide the ordered key, adding that i could not program the key on my own. So i left, hopped in my vette and drove into the service bay, where the service advisor proceeded to spew the same B.S.

As calmly as i could i explained that i am not interested in having the fob programmed at your dealership, either assist me with my issue in the parts department or bring the General Manager. The service advisor asked me to walk with him back to the parts department, where he and i would then be ignored by the parts guy. When the service advisor requested that we need to provide the key for this gentlemans Vette. The parts guy never looked up or said a word. Then simply turned and went to the back room. At this point the service advisor clearly also upset asked another gentleman to assist us... at which point the POS in the back room yelled "im getting it".

I know i am going a long way to simply say, read your manuals and this forum, these two stealership representatives with their lies and total lack of customer service, would have me to believe i could not program the key fob on my own, without them., just to turn a buck... ought to be ashamed of themselves ill be a certified Vette tech as the years go by, cause of crap like this.

Thanks for letting me rant, and definately, thanks for all the forum posts on key fob programming and everything else.

The following users liked this post:
owc6 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM
dave_2012_tt
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you got your fob - just curious did they say how much they would charge you to configure it?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 AM
449er
CF Senior Member

Received 410 Likes on 345 Posts

Find another dealership to patronize
Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM
imaposer
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Name the dealership. Save others the bad experience.
The following 6 users liked this post by imaposer:
Avanti (07-09-2019), defaria (07-09-2019), GT Bill (07-09-2019), joemessman (07-09-2019), Wanderlust (07-10-2019), yellow2007 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Sylvrbak

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt View Post
Glad you got your fob - just curious did they say how much they would charge you to configure it?
Nope, never asked either. I could have easily ordered the fob for cheaper than i paid them, but did not want to order incorrectly, plus the emergency key was a necessity coating nearly 250. You'd think that's be enough margin for the day..

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
Find another dealership to patronize
I would if i could, however, i have not had a good experience at the two in my local area. Also should have to go 50 - 100 miles out for proper service

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-09-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor

Received 1,178 Likes on 660 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

IF they were going to charge you for the programming, then they are being dishonest.

I always thought the dealers in Texas were pretty fair with their customers. Guess, that is not the case.

Elmer
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM
robertbruce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 881 Posts

`Didn't happen if you wont name the Dealership.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-09-2019 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rogergcam (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,221 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by imaposer View Post
Name the dealership. Save others the bad experience.
I agree. We had to read thru 5 paras, calling them "stealers" and then to find out …. nothing. Don't you wish to share a name or would you rather someone else go thru the same treatment? Not trying to be nasty, just want to know your intent.

Edit: 2 post, little info. I'm done. Have a nice Corvette.

Last edited by AORoads; 07-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
pickleseimer (07-10-2019), rogergcam (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Received 788 Likes on 567 Posts

An all TOO frequent account, in one form or another! Again, it just goes to show what genuinely motivates them despite all claims, "awards," etc. to the contrary. They'll nickel-&-dime their best customers to death (or, try to), thinking everyone is as dumb and short-sighted as they are!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Godsvett
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

How about telling us which dealership?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:59 PM
AE Guy
CF Senior Member

Received 742 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Godsvett View Post
How about telling us which dealership?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Starting in '17, it requires two recognized fob to add a third, but you still should be able to wipe the lost fob and start from scratch with the long program to add a new #2. AFAIK, only Canadian vehicles require the dealer to program.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Red86Cfour
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What is a safety key? I bought my C7 used from a broker and just got two key fobs, with the hidden key inside).
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour View Post
What is a safety key? I bought my C7 used from a broker and just got two key fobs, with the hidden key inside).
I'm assuming you mean the OP's "emergency" key, which is the key in the fob, so you can get in if the power in the car (or fob) is out (via the key slot above the rear tag). Most likely not a true emergency, but, then again, it might be.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 AM
Sylvrbak

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
Starting in '17, it requires two recognized fob to add a third, but you still should be able to wipe the lost fob and start from scratch with the long program to add a new #2. AFAIK, only Canadian vehicles require the dealer to program.
Yes owc6, thanks to the forum, Elmer especially, i was aware that i could wipe fob1 and reprogram both fobs. Which i have completed successfully. (I understand some have had troubles) As for the name of the dealer, it really does not matter, as i was not taken for a ride, despite the attempt. My purpose for the 5 paragraphs is simple "protect yourselves at all times" and thak you forum members for sharing your knowledge.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Red86Cfour
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I'm assuming you mean the OP's "emergency" key, which is the key in the fob, so you can get in if the power in the car (or fob) is out (via the key slot above the rear tag). Most likely not a true emergency, but, then again, it might be.
Yes I misquoted and called it a safety key. Didn't know the key in the fob was called an "emergency" key. I would have thought that since I'm sure the OP was charged an arm and a leg for the fob and key that it would already have been cut, since the vin was known at the time of ordering. You don't need a key any more to have a replacement key cut.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM
fsvoboda
CF Senior Member

Received 450 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour View Post
Yes I misquoted and called it a safety key. Didn't know the key in the fob was called an "emergency" key. I would have thought that since I'm sure the OP was charged an arm and a leg for the fob and key that it would already have been cut, since the vin was known at the time of ordering. You don't need a key any more to have a replacement key cut.
The whole situation sounds like a failure to communicate up front to me.

BTW, $250 is not out of line for a custom fob and key, I regret to say. I paid that much for a 2008 Sebring key/fob that needed to be replaced and dealer programmed. However, both OP and dealer should have made clear what the total cost would be, and whether dealer programming was required.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 07-10-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM
pickleseimer
CF Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 126 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
I agree. We had to read thru 5 paras, calling them "stealers" and then to find out . nothing. Don't you wish to share a name or would you rather someone else go thru the same treatment? Not trying to be nasty, just want to know your intent.

Edit: 2 post, little info. I'm done. Have a nice Corvette.
Agree. Another one-sided story, I'll take my click back now. One of the few things a consumer can do to avoid a similar situation, is knowing who to avoid. Easy to use some form of the word 'steal' when cloaked by an anonymous forum. Without actually naming the dealership involved all dealers in an area are suspect. I'm sensing more to the story here.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Red86Cfour
CF Senior Member

I had some chevy Tahoe keys made by the dealer. They wanted 30 bucks just for the privilege of having them retrieve the vin key cut, and then 10 bucks per blank to be cut. So over 50 bucks for having two keys made. Two key fobs (admittedly aftermarket ones sourced from fleabay) were 13 bucks for the pair. Programming was a five minute affair for that vehicle.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM
The Rabbi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

This kind of treatment needs to go to the owner or general manager. I was a gm and would never allow my customers to be treated this way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stealership says I need them to program key fob

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: