Sponsored by:

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 PM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Extended warranty

I bought my warranty from Dennis yesterday. $1940 for 48 months or 48,000 additional miles. That price is less than I expected and I'm happy with it. I have 30 days to reach my 1000 miles. that should not be a problem as this next week will take me from fla to savannah, to the dragon in Nc and up the blue ridge parkway into va.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:31 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I think the price is also depends on how old your corvette is and how many miles you have it on now. For example if one has 2 years left and buy a 4 year extended he would pay less than someone who had just 6 months left of bumper to bumper so I think it would be nice to know more details. Since you said you have to wait a month I am assuming your bumper to bumper is gone. so you received four years for 2000 which seems like a good deal.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM
gavinvr4
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I think all extended warranty is bogus, they will try every possible way they can avoid the repairs.
I Recently looked at a corvette still has the factory warranty, and I want them to replace the center armrest and was denied. Last Corvette I purchase I have the wheel package warrantee and came to find out it had one crack wheel, I returned to the dealer and they did not cover the warranty because they said it was already cracked prior of me purchasing this vehicle from them.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 03:05 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

FYI, I was told you can’t talk pricing of EW on the forum and had to remove my post.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

I know the folks who sell it cannot...not sure about us...you be right....just do not know.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:39 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I had the (old) GMPP on my 02Z years ago.I had several sensors go out and would have cost a lot more than the ext warranty did.

On these cars (IMO) it can be money well spent if you keep your car for a long time .Good selling point also.

\db2

Last edited by dbaker; 07-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Michael T* (07-16-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good price you got. The warranty will provide some peace of mind for you.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Everyone knows someone who made out like a bandit with their extended warranty, saving big bucks on some repair or another (called "the man who" fallacy, btw). If one does the research it is clear that very few ever come close to recouping the policy cost with repairs. That should come as no surprise or the "products" wouldn't be sold for the prices they are. The reason these things proliferate as they do--I just saw an ad for one on TV as I write this--is that most cars are built as well as they are today. To each his or her own, of course, but just sayin'...
Old 07-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

There are ads running on network radio featuring an overly-amped male announcer proclaiming "you'll never have to pay for a covered repair!"

Of course, the warranty company gets to determine what's covered and what's not. But the tone of the ads, in my opinion, create the illusion that if you fork over the bucks, everything's covered just like your original factory warranty.

If you're considering an extended warranty, carefully read and re-read what's covered and what's excluded. More than a few posters here have stated that they've bought an extended "bumper-to-bumper" warranty -- believing they've extended the original OE warranty -- only to find out later, for example, that seat skins, leather dashes, as well as other trim and upholstery items are not covered -- they're considered wear and tear items. Same holds true for rattles, wind noise, weatherstripping, etc. And the exclusion list goes on ....

Last edited by Virtual Geezer; 07-13-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,144 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinvr4
I think all extended warranty is bogus, they will try every possible way they can avoid the repairs.
I Recently looked at a corvette still has the factory warranty, and I want them to replace the center armrest and was denied. Last Corvette I purchase I have the wheel package warrantee and came to find out it had one crack wheel, I returned to the dealer and they did not cover the warranty because they said it was already cracked prior of me purchasing this vehicle from them.
Until you are out of warranty and the flange on the gas tank fails or you get the wobble.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

my vert top was intermittent for 2 years before the dealer could duplicate the gripe and fix it. my 'screen' has gone dark twice so far, but not at the dealer. my HUD has gone out 3 times so far, but not at the dealer. I have the 'warble' noise but the dealer can't hear it. I have had the triple flush to fix the tq conv...will it last? My 36 month b to b warranty expires aug 11. I will be without warranty overage for 24 hours. I don't think I could have timed the warranty purchase any better. I will have to keep the car at least 4 more years before I can even consider selling or trading the car. a deer hit last thanksgiving gave me a $25k Carfax hit.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 07-14-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Maxie2U (07-17-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinvr4
I Recently looked at a corvette still has the factory warranty, and I want them to replace the center armrest and was denied. [SPOILER]Last Corvette I purchase I have the wheel package warrantee and came to find out it had one crack wheel, I returned to the dealer and they did not cover the warranty because they said it was already cracked prior of me purchasing this vehicle from them[.
That dealer can be in allot of trouble if the sold a vehicle with a KNOWN SAFTEY DEFECT! Cracked wheel . Shame on them DO you still have the car?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,704 Likes on 2,995 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As Clint Eastwood once said "Do you feel lucky? Well do you?" You roll the dice not having a warranty
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,672 Likes on 5,585 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
As Clint Eastwood once said "Do you feel lucky? Well do you?" You roll the dice not having a warranty
You roll the dice having a warranty in that you are shelling out approx $2000 that you may may never get any use from.
Maxie2U (07-17-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:21 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You roll the dice having a warranty in that you are shelling out approx $2000 that you may may never get any use from.
my homeowners insurance is not mandatory either.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,129 Likes on 3,370 Posts

I learned a little about the GMEPP warranty and thought I'd share my experiences. I'm not saying extended warranties (actually, repair insurance) are good or bad, it depends on your personal situation.
First, GMEPP is not the same as the bumper to bumper. Trim and wear items are excluded (brakes, belts, interior rattles, leather problems, etc.). You need to understand all of the exclusions.
During the bumper to bumper period if something breaks you most likely will not have to pay anything.
Once the bumper to bumper period is over you will be responsible for diagnostic fees if the problem isn't covered, or if the problem can't be reproduced.

Some examples:

I had a rattling noise under light acceleration. It was diagnosed as a bad belt tensioner and the tensioner (but not the belt) was replaced. This fixed the problem under the bumper to bumper warranty. The noise subsequently returned when the bumper to bumper warranty had expired. The tensioner was bad again (leaking oil). But this time there was a TSB stating the noise was caused by the OEM belt (not the tensioner) and needs to be replaced by a Gates belt. The GMEPP covered the leaking tensioner but not the belt.

I had a suspension rattling noise that went away under breaking. The technicians were not able to reproduce the noise during the bumper to bumper period. The noise eventually got bad enough to be reproduced by the technician after the bumper to bumper warranty had expired. The noise was caused by the early 2 piece Z51 brake rotor disk coming loose from the hat (there is a TSB for this). The rotors were not covered since the problem was not diagnosed during the bumper to bumper warranty period and brakes are not covered under GMEPP.

My car (2015) has the delayed shift engagement after sitting overnight. There is a TSB for this and I was aware of the problem early on (requires removal of the transmission). However, this is when people started having the A8 shuddering problem and it was not clear what was causing this. I didn't want to go through the transmission removal twice so I decided to wait to see if my car developed the shuddering problem. Since the current fix to the shuddering problem is likely a fluid change it is unlikely it would require transmission removal to fix. I decided to pursue getting the delayed engagement addressed. The delayed engagement problem doesn't always happen after sitting overnight. I was informed that if the problem didn't occur after sitting for 24 hours that I would be responsible for the diagnostic fees since I'm out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

My point is you need to do everything you can to get problems correctly addressed under the bumper to bumper warranty even if you have/plan to get an extended warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Maxie2U (07-17-2019), Virtual Geezer (07-16-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Buying a EW is about insuring against a big loss. We buy house ins, life ins, long term care plans, health ins. etc & hope to never use it. I bought my '02 with 20k miles. My tech at the time, who drove C5 told me the car didn't need it & he was right. However, when I bought a $106,000 used motor home I had no problem paying $4k for a 4 yr plan and I made out great.

My feeling is that buying a EW is about how much risk there is. I used to be a finance mgr at dealerships and believed in EWs for the same reason, protecting me from a major expense. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm going to move up to a used C7 & most likely will buy a EW, the electronics can be pricey but I will check with my people at local dealer who takes great care of me & my car. By the way, I also was a used & new car dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended warranty

Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have bought the extended warranty on every new Corvette I have ever owned. I have bought 3 new Corvettes and 3 lightly used Corvettes. All the lightly used Corvettes had an extended warranty that I transferred over and were a major factor in me buying that car and paying the price I did. In all of my C4 and C5 purchases new or used I was pretty hard on the car, be it track days, autocross or mods. In each case the EW returned me 2-4 times its purchase price in repairs. I don't track, autocross or mod my cars any longer (in fact drive them like the slow old man I have become) but still buy the EW because it will make your eventual sale a whole lot easier if you sell after the 36 month in service date. My C6Z was 4 years old when I bought it but only had 4200 miles on it and had an EW for a full 9 years from inservice date and up to 60,000 miles. I traded it in at 8 years old and 20,000 miles so never used it but it gave me great piece of mind against the dreaded valve guide problems of the LS7. My C7Z now has a GMEPP out to 7 years, 3 months and 60,000 miles from inservice date. If I sell it the buyer will love it and if he doesn't I will cancel it and get the unused portion back as a refund.

However shop around as some of the prices I hear on the forum seem pretty high. Also when you talk about the warranty it is important to say whether your buy was from purchase date or from end of BtoB. Most are from purchase date. So if you have a 24 month old car with 10,000 miles a 48/48 will cover the car up through 6 years and 58,000 miles, not 7 years and 84,000 miles. And if you are a buyer you definitely should know which you are being quoted as you can see there is a huge difference in what you get. As you can see the 7/84 would be expected to cost a lot more than the 6/58. My EW was bought at 27 months after inservice date and the car had about 10,000 miles on it. So my 60 mo/50k gave me 5 years from that purchase date or out to 7 years, 3 months, and an additional 50,000 miles over the 10,000 miles I had at purchase date.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-14-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Last week I sent my homeowners insurance company a check for $1200 as I have for the past several decades and NEVER had a claim. I’ll soon be sending my auto carrier close to $1,000 and other than a windshield repair have NEVER in (several decades) submitted a claim. So spending a couple of grand for four/4 years of extended warranty coverage seems like a bargain.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas007:
kitesurfer (07-16-2019), Maxie2U (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by pkincy
I have bought the extended warranty on every new Corvette I have ever owned. I have bought 3 new Corvettes and 3 lightly used Corvettes. All the lightly used Corvettes had an extended warranty that I transferred over and were a major factor in me buying that car and paying the price I did. In all of my C4 and C5 purchases new or used I was pretty hard on the car, be it track days, autocross or mods. In each case the EW returned me 2-4 times its purchase price in repairs. I don't track, autocross or mod my cars any longer (in fact drive them like the slow old man I have become) but still buy the EW because it will make your eventual sale a whole lot easier if you sell after the 36 month in service date. My C6Z was 4 years old when I bought it but only had 4200 miles on it and had an EW for a full 9 years from inservice date and up to 60,000 miles. I traded it in at 8 years old and 20,000 miles so never used it but it gave me great piece of mind against the dreaded valve guide problems of the LS7. My C7Z now has a GMEPP out to 7 years, 3 months and 60,000 miles from inservice date. If I sell it the buyer will love it and if he doesn't I will cancel it and get the unused portion back as a refund.

However shop around as some of the prices I hear on the forum seem pretty high. Also when you talk about the warranty it is important to say whether your buy was from purchase date or from end of BtoB. Most are from purchase date. So if you have a 24 month old car with 10,000 miles a 48/48 will cover the car up through 6 years and 58,000 miles, not 7 years and 84,000 miles. And if you are a buyer you definitely should know which you are being quoted as you can see there is a huge difference in what you get. As you can see the 7/84 would be expected to cost a lot more than the 6/58. My EW was bought at 27 months after inservice date and the car had about 10,000 miles on it. So my 60 mo/50k gave me 5 years from that purchase date or out to 7 years, 3 months, and an additional 50,000 miles over the 10,000 miles I had at purchase date.

is your ew a GMEPP. Do you mind telling where you bought it ?

Quick Reply: Extended warranty