Dustless brake pad options - the never ending debate continues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Dustless brake pad options - the never ending debate continues

Ok, this debate has gone on for quite a while, and I've been in some of them, in support of using Powerstop alternatives.

I recently had the chance to run the stock Brembo pads, Carbotech 1521 pads, and Powerstop Z26 on my GS in the span of a month. I also had Powerstop Z26 on my Z51, and experienced brown rotors. Here are my thoughts and impressions on the GS with all three of these pads.

I started with stock pads, and when I picked up my GS with 1700 miles on it, I noticed the difference in braking over my Z51 right away. I loved it, but hated the dust, as usual. So having used the Powerstop pads on my Z51 already, I thought I would splurge and try the ~$450 Carbotech option.

When they arrived, I noticed that they certainly appeared to be a low volume produced pad, as it was a metal backing with the pad, and spray painted red. Not a 'professional' look to them. No worries though, I installed them, and bedded them the usual way. Right away I noticed they still produced quite a bit of dust, but I did just go through a series of hard stops to bed them.
So I clean the wheels and figure I'll see how they do over time.
My impressions on the Carbotech with regards to stopping power? They feel pretty much the same as the Brembo's for around town and spirited driving. I was really happy with initial bite and stopping power, cold or warm.
The dust? Not so impressed. Over several thousand miles, the dust was still very noticeable. It was so bad that after a period of time, I wondered if they still dusted as much as the stock? More on that later.

My wife has an ATS-V which uses the same pads as the GS/Z06. I got tired of cleaning her silver wheels so I bought her a set of Powerstop Z26 pads. She doesn't drive aggressive at all, and the rotors are different so I figured they would not show the discoloration like the Corvettes. Her rims looked amazing after two weeks of sunny driving and not having to wash the car. Growing more tired of the dust on my GS wheels with the Carbotech, I decided to buy Powerstop Z26 pads for my GS.

I installed them recently, bedded them and then drove my car as usual. Wow, what a difference in the dust. And, I really must say, that I cannot tell a difference in initial bite or stopping power, even when cold. I know, Jerry will come in with his unique situation with the traffic circle, and say he can tell a difference, but I tried to use them hard when cold just to see if I could, and I can't. Several weeks with the Z26 and the rims look great.

Now, I am going to go track at COTA on Sunday, so this past weekend, I pulled the Powerstop Z26 pads and put the Brembo stock pads back in. Within the first couple miles and minutes, I remembered why I pulled them out. Instantly the rims were filthy!!!! I bed these again, and the stopping and bite are fine. After cleaning the wheels and driving on these the past few days, I can say that while the Carbotech do leave considerable dust, they are better than the Brembo pads!

Now, I'll have to wait for six months to a year to report on any browning of the rotors, it's too early to tell with the Powerstop Z26 pads, but I will keep an eye on that and report back.

Conclusion:
Having used all three pads, they all feel about the same to me for daily driving.
Powerstop Z26 are about $130 for all four wheels. They are the least amount of dust by a longshot. Not even close.
Carbotech are lower dust, but still a lot more dust than I care for. Cost is about $450 for all four wheels.
Stock Brembo way too much dust, not sure on replacement cost, but many sell good sets for $150 shipped in the for sale section. The only clear advantage I feel these have are for aggressive track time on a budget.

Last edited by Marcho Polo; 07-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marcho Polo:
frankmp (07-17-2019), Maxpowers (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for the analysis - good review. I'm still okay with the stock pads since I use a swifer duster each time I drive my car. Only takes a couple of minutes to clean the wheels. However, if I get tired of dusting the wheels I will definitely buy the Powerstop Z26s. Have them on the wife's Acura TL and like them very much.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Nice thorough review Marcho. I don't think anyone has done a back to back to back to back test before. I have some slight discolouring with my Z26 pads. Their solution is they sent me two more sets of pads for each wheel. Not sure they meant to. I haven't bothered switching them as the colouring doesn't bother me all that much. I'll get to it sometime.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Great write up. Thank you.

The more I read about these low dust pads, the less I want them. Cleaning is a PITA because I very ****. I clean the wheels after every drive but I'd like the discoloring issue even less. It seems to be pretty common from the posts I've read in the past.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I have the PowerStops on the wife's Infiniti Q60 - and they are the most dust free pads I have ever experienced. I wash her car almost every weekend (along with my C7) and can actually skip the wheels that's how clean they are. I am very impressed.

I run Raybestos ST-43 race pads on the track with my Z51. For the street I am still running the OEMs but I'll be switching to the PowerStops soon. Carbotech are well know for their race pads, but most have reported higher wear rates with them.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:15 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yeah I'm pretty much fed up with the dust level on mine. I can't stand having the dust covering the wheels after just a couple days driving to work normally.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Have Powerstops on my GS and can honestly (and without embellishment) say I can literally drive thousands of miles with only the slightest amount of dust on my wheels. No exageration
Old 07-17-2019, 06:31 PM
blackedgs
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

What vendor sells the powerstops? I’m sick of the dust from my factory brakes on my 2019 GS! There is a huge price difference from the powerstops vs carbotech pads. If they are both good pads why would anyone pay 300 bucks more for the carbotech pads?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blackedgs
What vendor sells the powerstops? I’m sick of the dust from my factory brakes on my 2019 GS! There is a huge price difference from the powerstops vs carbotech pads. If they are both good pads why would anyone pay 300 bucks more for the carbotech pads?
EARLIER Powerstops would sometimes discolor the rotors but they appeared to have solved that. My rotors are nice and silvery and shiny (over 6K miles on 'em)

Last edited by KenHorse; 07-17-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm looking at replacing the rotors and brake padlets on my GS because the rotors were previously resurfaced and now they're warped.. I'm probably going with GM replacement rotors and the powerstop Z26 padlets. I do not track my car but I do some spirited street driving from time to time because of my heavy right foot. My question is will the powerstop z26 padlets warp my new rotors like off the shelf ceramic padlets?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by torchred_lt1
I'm looking at replacing the rotors and brake padlets on my GS because the rotors were previously resurfaced and now they're warped.. I'm probably going with GM replacement rotors and the powerstop Z26 padlets. I do not track my car but I do some spirited street driving from time to time because of my heavy right foot. My question is will the powerstop z26 padlets warp my new rotors like off the shelf ceramic padlets?
Haven't had a problem with warpage in over 6K miles. And I too drive.......spirited
Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by torchred_lt1
Padlets stopped in 2013 with the C6 Z06 and GS. You have one piece pads.

Highly unlikely your rotors are warped. 99 times out of 100, poor braking technique and/or pads insufficient for the task at hand results in pad deposits on the rotors that give that familiar pedal pulsation when braking.

Powerstop pads are a nice driver pad. They’re not designed for a ***** to the wall canyon run or track use.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I love my PowerStops! Virtually no dust. I have no browning on my rotors either, although I'm not sure if I have the old or new PowerStops.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Davesfastcar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 58 Posts

I also have power stops, excellent pads, virtually no dust and no discoloring of rotors. Excellent brake pads
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I don't want to make this into another brown rotor argumentative "locked" thread, but has anyone that has installed the Z26's in the last 12 months had the browning issue? As I mentioned above, they sent me a boat load of extra pads after I complained to them but I haven't installed them yet. This was a while back. I may order another "newer" set if the issued as been resolved.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Davesfastcar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I don't want to make this into another brown rotor argumentative "locked" thread, but has anyone that has installed the Z26's in the last 12 months had the browning issue? As I mentioned above, they sent me a boat load of extra pads after I complained to them but I haven't installed them yet. This was a while back. I may order another "newer" set if the issued as been resolved.

Mine have been purchased and installed within last 6 months with no browning, I did proper bed in process too.
The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I love powerstops. I have a grandsport just like yours and it was one of my first mods. No discoloration that I can tell. I'll swap to dirty birds if I need to track.

Get notified of new replies

To Dustless brake pad options - the never ending debate continues

Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 PM
67 coupe
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts

Where's the best place to buy the Powerstops?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by 67 coupe
Where's the best place to buy the Powerstops?
I don't know if any vendors on the forum stock them. I bought mine and my wife's from amazon. No tax and free shipping with prime.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
EARLIER Powerstops would sometimes discolor the rotors but they appeared to have solved that. My rotors are nice and silvery and shiny (over 6K miles on 'em)
Any suggestions on how I can be sure I'm getting the revised part?

Quick Reply: Dustless brake pad options - the never ending debate continues