C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Texas Road Trip this weekend, seeking for suggestion.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:16 PM
HZ06
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Central Texas Road Trip this weekend, seeking for suggestion.

Hello all.

My wife and I are attending as spectators the Texas Mile this Saturday in Beeville TX. I would like to take the opportunity to visit my son in Austin and take the long way and avoid the use the interstate to enjoy my C7Z. From Beeville to Austin I will drive through Lockhart.

I would like to ask your recommendations in the way back to San Antonio. Monday, we will be driving from Mable Falls, to Frederiksberg, Kerrville, Borne and finally SA. Total drive according google maps is less than five and a half hours. My intention is to leave from 8 AM and arrive around 8 PM. So, I have an additional 6 hrs to spend in the spots.

This is more an scenic road trip, so no shopping, hiking, etc, or spending hours in touristic places.

My only plan is to stop by Enchanted Rock State Natural Area in Fredericksburg, The Coming King Sculpture in Kerrville, Stonehenge II in Ingram, TX. take just one of the ranch roads of Twisted Sister passing by Medina, Bandera and Boerne.

My question for the forum is if anyone have tried the twisted sister, I don't want to make the trip longer and take all the roads, so the question is if the 335 is more fun to drive than the 336?

Any other interesting quick stop in the planed route? Maybe the Lost Maples State park? Something to do in Boerne?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by HZ06; 10-29-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:37 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

We drove the "Sisters" early December last year on a week day. Weather cooperated, traffic was light, and fun was had. We drove them "clock wise" from Leakey (West on 337 to Camp Wood; North on 335 to 41; and then South on 336 back to Leakey). For us, 335 was the most interesting of the three; but all three are worthy. Travel safely.

We trudge on.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:22 AM
kjsmithtx
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is a nice description of the different roads.
https://twowheelsbiglife.com/blogs/n...wisted-sisters
Old 10-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

I have done the Twisted Sisters a couple of times. An amazing driving experience with spectacular scenery. Just a warning, I think that you need a reservation to enter Enchanted Rock State Park. You should check this out before going there and being disappointed.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:08 PM
HZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon
We drove the "Sisters" early December last year on a week day. Weather cooperated, traffic was light, and fun was had. We drove them "clock wise" from Leakey (West on 337 to Camp Wood; North on 335 to 41; and then South on 336 back to Leakey). For us, 335 was the most interesting of the three; but all three are worthy. Travel safely.

We trudge on.
Thank you.

How fast can you be there? is there may law enforcement around?

Originally Posted by Spinny
I have done the Twisted Sisters a couple of times. An amazing driving experience with spectacular scenery. Just a warning, I think that you need a reservation to enter Enchanted Rock State Park. You should check this out before going there and being disappointed.
I understand reservations are for the weekend, we are going on Monday and wont spend much time, just looking around.

Thank you so much.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:53 PM
davanz
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Lone Star Motorcycle Museum Vanderpool,TX

May not be your cup of tea, but if your in the area, it's impressive for being in such an isolated loacation.
The following users liked this post:
HZ06 (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Hwy 281. I love that drive.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

"How fast can you be there? is there may law enforcement around?"

H-Z/28:
Don't recall seeing any law enforcement on the entire drive. However, we elected to not drive very aggressively on "the Sisters" for a few reasons: (1)two lane roads for the whole route with narrow shoulders on much of the drive; (2) heavy cover along the roads in places; (3) many blind corners and blind rises where we could see the road ahead for only a very short distance; (4) As you probably know, that area of Texas is deer and hog country; (5) the area is also farm/ranch country with fenced land on the road sides and plenty of opportunities for livestock on the roads and/or ole Farmer Jones pulling out onto the road from out of nowhere in his farm truck or tractor. In summary, for our money there were too many potential hazards for any pushing of our luck. YMMV, but we are too old now for any undue risk taking. We took it slow and enjoyed the gorgeous weather and nice scenery.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

Last edited by Wetrudgeon; 10-31-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:56 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Not familiar with the Sisters?? I've driven every main and State Hwy. there is in most of Texas. There's enough blind curves to keep your interest at speed limits, much less above the posted speed limits. My worst nightmare is an out of control opposing driver willfully driving recklessly, every time I'm doing switchbacks or blind hills.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 PM
HZ06
Pro

Thank you for the responses. Tomorrow is the day.

I will share pictures, and experiences.

Regards
Old 11-04-2020, 06:08 PM
HZ06
Pro

I ended doing the complete twisted sister.

Pics and maps here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602453861

Thank you so much.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 PM
daleh50
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI - If you are going thru Fredericksburg - look up Willow City Loop - very nice Scenic Texas drive - only take about 1 hour - Sisters is a great drive, but exercise caution - our Corvette club is doing it this weekend.
Happy Trails
Old 11-05-2020, 12:24 PM
HZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by daleh50
FYI - If you are going thru Fredericksburg - look up Willow City Loop - very nice Scenic Texas drive - only take about 1 hour - Sisters is a great drive, but exercise caution - our Corvette club is doing it this weekend.
Happy Trails
Thank you, maybe next time I just posted the video in the other tread if you want to take a look.

Regards

Get notified of new replies

To Central Texas Road Trip this weekend, seeking for suggestion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Central Texas Road Trip this weekend, seeking for suggestion.