Sponsored by:

Optima Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 10:51 AM
StrykerZ06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Optima Battery

I was at an event in Austin Texas at Circuit of the Americas. Optima Batteries had a car show, and if you registered, you'd get a Yellow Top battery.
I have the battery, for my C7 Grand Sport, it called for a H6 battery, what I received was a DH6 Yellow Top. Any issues with using a deep cycle battery?
Thanks in advance...
Old 11-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Burning Brakes

Received 1,095 Likes on 520 Posts

There is another thread on this titled: "Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?"
Jay Leno uses Optima batteries in all his cars. He says you don't have to worry about fluids leaking out.
Interesting! I am staying with OEM for now. Best wishes.

Last edited by Ron_Attleboro_MA; 10-08-2021 at 06:23 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 11-15-2020, 12:43 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,302 Posts

30 years as a Corvette daily driver - more than 900,000 miles - see zero reason to change away from OEM batteries...
The following 3 users liked this post by 4thC4at60:
BillyC7 (11-17-2020), Kevin A Jones (11-15-2020), Ron_Attleboro_MA (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

When Ultima first came out I used them for many years. At that time I had to get them mail-order since no one locally sold them yet. I always had excellent and long service, both of which justified the above premium price... at least for me. Then Johnson Control bought the company and as they say, "that was that." I continued with them for a while... that is until I got two bad ones in a row. Only then I did the research to see what had happened. Hence, I discovered the sale and more. No more Optimas for me.
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (11-16-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:58 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

I cannot answer your question because I have only used AC Delco. I can tell you that for the last 17 years I have owned my C4, I have only changed the battery three times, and that was with extended garage parking time between car shows.

I need a new battery in the C7 and I am going with the AC Delco.

Here is the link on a battery search for Optimal. They are all very old:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=82110681
Old 11-15-2020, 09:49 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,674 Likes on 5,585 Posts

Always used Delco batteries in my Corvettes and sold thousands through my auto parts stores over the years and never had issues doing either.
You can get an OEM Delco battery for your C7 for about $125>$140 that will typically give you 5>6 years service, that's good enough for me.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 PM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Used Optima in my hot rod truck is the past. When I went to the local battery shop asking about an Optima a few years back, found out that they are no longer made here in the USA, but in Mexico. That makes me question about the quality control of the battery.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I had my last two C5, I ran Optima Red Tops in them. In the '00, the Red Top lasted nearly 7 years and was going strong when I sold the car. When I bought my '03 (used), it had a Red Top in it and right after the three year mark, the battery gave up the ghost. So, mixed reviews from me.

I have been pleased with the AC Delco batteries too - they have given me many years of reliable service.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:07 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,493 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by StrykerZ06
I was at an event in Austin Texas at Circuit of the Americas. Optima Batteries had a car show, and if you registered, you'd get a Yellow Top battery.
I have the battery, for my C7 Grand Sport, it called for a H6 battery, what I received was a DH6 Yellow Top. Any issues with using a deep cycle battery?
Thanks in advance...
A free battery for every registrant? That's pricier swag than I've ever received at a show!

There's no issue running a deep-cycle battery. I have no first-hand experience with them but, as others have said, Optima reviews I've seen/heard point to a decline in quality and reliability following buyout and offshoring of production.

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
There is another thread on this titled: "Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?"
I'm usually a fan of consulting existing threads. In this case, however, the existing thread started over 11 years ago and hasn't been posted to in well-over seven years. That implies pretty stale info.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:36 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
Interesting! I am staying with OEM for now. Best wishes.
Neither is rated that highly Ron. I'd keep looking. .
Old 11-16-2020, 04:22 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by StrykerZ06
Thanks in advance...
The Optima website lists this as a dual purpose battery and says that it's an excellent choice for cars with heavy electrical draw. Given Optima's description, I see no reason not to use it.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

Optima, of course, on ultima as in my dumb post above... it's a b***h to get old, let me tell ya!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Optimas are deep cycle AGM batteries. They are designed to produce moderate amounts of current over long periods of time. Examples would be if you are shining spot lights of the battery with the engine off, or are playing super high power stereo with engine off.

When the car is running, the alternator MUST be able to keep up with all loads. When running the battery just sits there getting charged most all of the time.

Plus, AGM batteries require step charging. The GM charging systems do not do step charging needed to support the AGM chemistry/design.

So there’s no need for OPtima unless you have heavy battery drains when the car is off. They are not going to hurt anything if you got it for free, but life of the battery will be reduced if they are not charged properly (I’m sure you could find a special voltage regulator with the proper charging program for AGM batteries)
NortonCO (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 11:33 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Submerge
Optimas are deep cycle AGM batteries. They are designed to produce moderate amounts of current over long periods of time. Examples would be if you are shining spot lights of the battery with the engine off, or are playing super high power stereo with engine off.

When the car is running, the alternator MUST be able to keep up with all loads. When running the battery just sits there getting charged most all of the time.

Plus, AGM batteries require step charging. The GM charging systems do not do step charging needed to support the AGM chemistry/design.

So there’s no need for OPtima unless you have heavy battery drains when the car is off. They are not going to hurt anything if you got it for free, but life of the battery will be reduced if they are not charged properly (I’m sure you could find a special voltage regulator with the proper charging program for AGM batteries)
There are many C7 owners using AGM batteries. If I lived in the frozen tundra of North Dakota I would continue to use a flooded lead filled battery. If you're a southern boy AGM is fine. Also, numerous battery maintainer/chargers can work with AGM batteries. The CTEK 3300 indicates in their manual they can charge the AGM. However in cold climates of northern Idaho I would use a CTEK 7002 which has what they call "snowflake mode" and will charge a battery at a lower Voltage setting when temps drop below 41 deg F. You don't want to fast charge an AGM battery.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:06 AM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
There are many C7 owners using AGM batteries. If I lived in the frozen tundra of North Dakota I would continue to use a flooded lead filled battery. If you're a southern boy AGM is fine. Also, numerous battery maintainer/chargers can work with AGM batteries. The CTEK 3300 indicates in their manual they can charge the AGM. However in cold climates of northern Idaho I would use a CTEK 7002 which has what they call "snowflake mode" and will charge a battery at a lower Voltage setting when temps drop below 41 deg F. You don't want to fast charge an AGM battery.
Just because they are being used doesn’t mean it’s technically a good idea. The bulk charge needed by AGM batteries is at a relatively high charging amps. They need this for longevity. Those little maintainers are only meant to top off and maintain a battery and not to charge it from deep discharge. And our voltage regulators do not support the charge profile needed by AGM batteries. Sure they will be charged by conventional charging but it’s not optimum and will affect battery life. The marketing campaign for these batteries is very strong and convincing. They are good for long moderate draws while not being charged (deep cycle). An aftermarket voltage regulator would be needed to feed AGM batteries their proper charging diet.
NortonCO (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 12:28 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Submerge
Just because they are being used doesn’t mean it’s technically a good idea. The bulk charge needed by AGM batteries is at a relatively high charging amps. They need this for longevity. Those little maintainers are only meant to top off and maintain a battery and not to charge it from deep discharge. And our voltage regulators do not support the charge profile needed by AGM batteries. Sure they will be charged by conventional charging but it’s not optimum and will affect battery life. The marketing campaign for these batteries is very strong and convincing. They are good for long moderate draws while not being charged (deep cycle). An aftermarket voltage regulator would be needed to feed AGM batteries their proper charging diet.
Got to disagree with your assessment. Many ICE powered autos are using these batteries now. Also, portable chargers are available to charge AGM batteries. My charger can charge as high as 7 amps if necessary. You can get them as high as 15 amps if necessary. AGM batteries don't spill, have much greater reserve capacity so I can turn up my stereo and listen to Ozzy Osbourne concerts at 150dB all night long using only accessory power. Additionally AGM batteries live longer lives than do flooded lead batteries. Too many owners here on the forum have them, use them, and like them. An AGM is on my mod list for next year. I have no hesitation in making this switch.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (10-08-2021)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:33 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,146 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Why not contact Optima directly instead of relying on opinions? I personally would not risk damaging my electrical system just because I did not make a simple phone call.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

E-mail: info@optimabatteries.com

Toll Free: 888-8-OPTIMA (888-867-8462)

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-17-2020 at 02:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Battery

Old 11-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Many ICE powered autos are using these batteries [AGM] now.
Yes, but those cars - unlike the Corvette - have charging systems designed for AGM use.

BMW is one such example. The final step in replacing the battery in my BMW was to register the battery to the car (AGM or not, amp hours, etc.) so that the car knows it has a new battery and the battery's specifications. The car then treats the battery according to its type and specs.
NortonCO (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 09:25 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elk
Yes, but those cars - unlike the Corvette - have charging systems designed for AGM use.

BMW is one such example. The final step in replacing the battery in my BMW was to register the battery to the car (AGM or not, amp hours, etc.) so that the car knows it has a new battery and the battery's specifications. The car then treats the battery according to its type and specs.
Although we will will never know the algorithms that are used to control and direct Corvette's battery control module (BCM) it's safe to assume it is working just fine handling the needs of AGM's battery. I have not read anything from GM that would indicate C7 owners should not use an AGM battery in their Corvettes. If you find one pass it along. In addition I have not read any discussion on the forum indicating using AGM batteries in their C7 corvettes has caused issues for owners.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:46 AM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

DON'T DO IT; Stay OEM

I have first hand experience on my Jeep with the yellow top Optimas and they are GARBAGE. Mine loses juice rather quick, sometimes it dies just after a week of not driving my Jeep.

They used to be excellent with a long live but not any more. Also they used to have like 10 years warranty and they changed it to 3 years, just like everybody else.

I don't want one of those nowhere near my Z.

Last edited by JKU007FL; 11-17-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery