Sponsored by:

✅SOLUTION‼️ Correct way to lift a C7 ✅SOLUTION‼️

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:58 PM
UpNorthC7
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ✅SOLUTION‼️ Correct way to lift a C7 ✅SOLUTION‼️

These 2 screen shots are taken from Extreme Online.
I have read a ton of threads and watched several YouTube videos on lifting and jacking a C7. Many of you have done this without any issues. I do find all the different info out there a little confusing. For example - the first image shows all the correct hoist and jacking points, with locations shown with color coding. Location #3 shown in red circle states- " Frame Contact Hoist Locations, Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations. OK fine.
A couple of paragraphs down it says -"These are not the points you want to use when lifting one corner with a floor jack".
Multiple people have YouTube videos showing them doing exactly that.
I know there's always more than one way to skin a cat, including lifting from the center points shown in the diagram. I also agree that the best way to lift the car would be from all 4 lifting points with lifting pucks from a 4 or 2 post lift. which most people don't have.
Not trying to beat the dead horse again. Just a little input from those who have experience doing these things, before I purchase any equipment.
I've also looked at Race Ramps, Quick Jacks, Jackpoint Jackstands and who knows what else. Any freindly advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-22-2024, 04:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Who do I believe......General Motors or Extreme Online Store? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

It's fine to lift from the side with a floor jack. No different than any other car. All this crap started back in the days of the C2 & C3 when people were worried about frame flex and cracking the bonding strips between body panels. Bonding strips haven't been used on a Corvette body since 1982.
The following 5 users liked this post by 96GS#007:
Bayshore Vette (04-23-2024), bearone2 (04-23-2024), CorvetteMike2024 (04-22-2024), JIM EVANS (04-24-2024), NortonCO (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:20 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

I used to jack at the puck locations all the time. I don't like the idea of the frame twist that is induced but it doesn't actually hurt anything. I jacked high enough at either front or rear puck to get both wheels off the ground. Then I bought another small aluminum jack from harbor freight so I could jack at both pucks. 3 years ago I built 4 inch tall ramps that I park on from 2x4s and 3/4 plywood. That has the car 4" off the floor so I made a 2x6 the correct length so I can jack at the front and rear subframes. The front 2x6 can be plain flat. The rear needs some 1/4" shims at spots since the subframe has an uneven surface.
The following 2 users liked this post by CraigStu:
96GS#007 (04-23-2024), bearone2 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:52 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,591 Likes on 2,813 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I lift from the front crossmember and place ramps under the front wheels. I first have to drive onto 2x10s to get the front high enough for my jack to fit.

The following users liked this post:
bearone2 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Default ✅solution‼️

Originally Posted by UpNorthC7

These 2 screen shots are taken from Extreme Online.
I have read a ton of threads and watched several YouTube videos on lifting and jacking a C7. Many of you have done this without any issues. I do find all the different info out there a little confusing. For example - the first image shows all the correct hoist and jacking points, with locations shown with color coding. Location #3 shown in red circle states- " Frame Contact Hoist Locations, Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations. OK fine.
A couple of paragraphs down it says -"These are not the points you want to use when lifting one corner with a floor jack".
Multiple people have YouTube videos showing them doing exactly that.
I know there's always more than one way to skin a cat, including lifting from the center points shown in the diagram. I also agree that the best way to lift the car would be from all 4 lifting points with lifting pucks from a 4 or 2 post lift. which most people don't have.
Not trying to beat the dead horse again. Just a little input from those who have experience doing these things, before I purchase any equipment.
I've also looked at Race Ramps, Quick Jacks, Jackpoint Jackstands and who knows what else. Any freindly advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

You can use the frame locations on the side of the car for jacking the car at one corner. You can use the ends of the cradle as shown in the GM documentation to use a jackstand to hold the car at one point. That all meets GM's requirements. There is no need for bridge beams or anything extra over what GM tells you to do. Based on personal experience I know that every Corvette made from 1963 through 2019 can be jacked at one corner with no issues. The C2 and C3 roadsters twisted a lot but could still be lifted. The C4 coupe and roadster twisted but could still be lifted but the C3 coupe, C5s, C6s and C7s have stiff frames that don't twist enough for anybody to notice. Here is what the FSM says about GM says about lifting/jacking the C7 (you may notice they use some diagrams lifted from the C5 and C6 FSMs):

Notice number 3 in the above diagram: The side frame can be used for jacking the car.

You may notice in the above diagram that GM indicates the lift pad adapters (jacking pucks) only need to be used in the rear of the car not in the front of the car. When you are under the car it is easy to see there is plenty of clearance between the shipping slots and the body panels. The rear clearance was a real problem on the C5s as the body panels wrapped under the frame and was tight around the rear shipping slots so lift pads would lift the car by lifting on the fiberglass instead of the metal frame. The C6 and C7 have more clearance between the shipping slots and the body panels.

You don't need to follow the Discount Tire process of jacking a Corvette, which is to open the hood, doors, and hatch followed by jacking each corner from the side using 4 jacks. There is such a thing as being too **** and a lot of Corvette Owners are too ****.

Bill

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 04-23-2024 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UpNorthC7 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:26 PM
UpNorthC7
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Bill and everyone for your input. Looks like lifting from one corner, on the pucks won't be an issue.
" a lot of Corvette Owners are too ****" - hey, wait a minute, I resemble that remark.

Get notified of new replies

To ✅SOLUTION‼️ Correct way to lift a C7 ✅SOLUTION‼️

Quick Reply: ✅SOLUTION‼️ Correct way to lift a C7 ✅SOLUTION‼️