Notices
C7 Parts for Sale/Wanted C7 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Suggestion for selling - mods please read

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suggestion for selling - mods please read

I am appalled at the amount of spam and scammers I am seeing on this "for sale" forum. It seems like it may be a person or small group doing this. I have been a moderator on a few forums in the past and we implemented a requirement for posting "For Sale" items that could stop, or at least decrease significantly the amount of scams on here.

1) All for sale items must contain a picture of the item listed for sale
2) In that picture, you must have a piece of paper with the following information:
A) Member Name
B) Date of Posting
C) Initial Offering Price / OBO

The inability to weed out scammers hurts the entire community. It causes distrust for the buyers and puts legitimate sellers always defending themselves when accused. I have seen a few items on here that I would have liked to purchase but am very reluctant to go through the transaction. I have purchased one item, but met that seller face to face and it went smoothly.

My above suggestion WORKED and worked very well.
The following 5 users liked this post by Z06*Mike:
boliep (09-21-2018), CandyRed77 (09-21-2018), Mike.D (09-21-2018), S.C. vette (09-21-2018), Smokeyjr (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Z06*Mike
I am appalled at the amount of spam and scammers I am seeing on this "for sale" forum... I have been a moderator on a few forums...
You've seen a lot in your less than 30 days you have been here on the forum with 16 total posts including this one.

Scammers primarily are the ones who pop up as new members with very few posts. Although your "suggestions" might be helpful with new members with very few posts, today's technology is able to easily generate the images you suggest.

Members who have numerous posts who have been around for years don't necessarily need to post pics, etc.

You mention being a moderator on other forums, may I ask when that was and which forums you were a moderator on, and were you Z06*Mike on those forums, or what name there?

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 09-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
You've seen a lot in your less than 30 days you have been here on the forum with 16 total posts including this one. You mention being a moderator on other forums, may I ask when that was and which forums you were a moderator on, and were you Z06*Mike on those forums, or what name there? The scammers always seem to be the ones who pop up as new members with very few posts.

HorsePower Junkie,

I was a moderator on 2 firearm forums with of course, a different name. Those forums were notorious for scam sellers and implementing a system as I described above helped tremendously in cutting down fake ads. Yes, I am very new here as I just purchased a Z06 and my father has purchased a Stingray. I can't leave well enough alone, so forums are always a good place to purchase items, when safe. Being new, I immediately was turned off by all the allegations of scamming, false ads, etc. I am not asking to be a mod, and would not accept even if asked. No time... And I am not selling anything but definitely looking to buy some things if I come across something. I just wanted to give some feedback as how it was done on another forum that was crucial in helping weed out the a$$holes trying to scam people.
Perhaps requiring members that have joined within 6 months... a year... or some arbitrary time frame to post with the suggestions above. Just trying to help here.

Last edited by Z06*Mike; 09-21-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:14 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

You mention being a moderator on other forums, may I ask when that was and which forums you were a moderator on...

Originally Posted by Z06*Mike

I was a moderator on 2 firearm forums with... a different name.
May I ask when and which forums, and what name you used there?

I served as a Moderator in the For Sale section years ago on LS1.com.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 09-21-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

May I ask when and which forums, and what name you used there?

I served as a Moderator in the For Sale section years ago on LS1.com.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...posting.28256/
The Firing Line - Must be a member to see the rules in the EE section but basically the same except more strict.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:14 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Good suggestions as everything and anything can always be improved.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDSKY:
Smokeyjr (09-21-2018), Z06*Mike (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

does it really matter where the guy was a moderator...his points are valid ones...and right now it doesn't matter if he has been here for a short time...it is what he is trying to say that makes sense...maybe it's best to listen to other (newer) folks that are on other forums and offer suggestions...I don't know about you bud...but within the past year I sure have noticed a lot more scams going on...I am one of them that was scammed big time HERE ON THIS FORUM!!...so I have always and will continue to post photos of my items for sale or available upon request to a phone...and expect likewise from a buyer "no matter how long they have been on this forum"...period

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 09-21-2018 at 11:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Smokeyjr:
boliep (09-21-2018), EcoBrick Bob (09-22-2018), Mike.D (09-21-2018), Z06*Mike (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Likewise, mod on another board for 15 years. We have in place a min of substantial posts / threads before they can buy or sell. The problem went away immediately, strongly encouraging the same here. Here are the rules....

MUST READ: By posting and/or transacting, you agree to abide by these terms and conditions...

NOTE: To better protect the €£¥_^[ community from scams, the listing of FOR SALE, TRADE, or WANTED ads is limited to members with at least 50 posts. Members with under 50 posts, must wait until they have 50 posts in order to place an ad.

RULE 10.2 - General Ad Rules
A key factor in our FOR SALE section is that the SELLER is reponsible for delivery of the purchased item. If the buyer does not receive an item they paid for the seller must provide a refund. Sellers are advised to use shipping methods that include proof of delivery.

BY POSTING A FOR SALE, WANTED, AND/OR TRADE AD OR PURCHASING AN ITEM VIA THIS SECTION, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:

ALL transactions are between individuals. €£¥_^[com and its owners and operators have NO responsibility for nor endorsement of the actions, assurances, statements, guarantees or any other communications (either verbal, written, expressed, or implied) between, by, or from buyers, sellers, and other parties to the transaction.

Remember, this venue is a user-to-user transaction only. You are dealing ONLY with the user who has posted the topic and NOT with €£¥__^com or any of its owners or operators.

This is merely a venue to allow anyone to offer, sell, and buy just about anything, at anytime, from anywhere. €£¥__^[[com and its owners and operators are NOT involved in the actual transaction between buyers, sellers, traders, and any other parties involved in the transaction. We have no control over and do not guarantee the quality, safety or legality of items advertised, the truth or accuracy of listings, the ability of sellers to sell items, the ability of buyers to pay for items, or that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction.

If you have a dispute with one or more users, you release @#$&&*com and its owners and operators (including our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.

[b]BY PLACING AN AD, POSTING IN THIS SECTION, OR PURCHASING AN ITEM IN THIS SECTION, YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT HOLD @#$&*(COM RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER USERS' ACTIONS OR INACTIONS, INCLUDING THINGS THEY POST.

FOR MORE DETAILED RULES ABOUT CONTENT, FORM, ETC. OF YOUR AD, PLEASE CLICK HERE: @#$&*(

Last edited by S.C. vette; 09-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by S.C. vette:
Smokeyjr (09-21-2018), Speedfreaq (09-22-2018), Z06*Mike (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM
clarkkent06
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
does it really matter where the guy was a moderator...his points are valid ones...and right now it doesn't matter if he has been here for a short time...it is what he is trying to say that makes sense...maybe it's best to listen to other (newer) folks that are on other forums and offer suggestions...I don't know about you bud...but within the past year I sure have noticed a lot more scams going on...I am one of them that was scammed big time HERE ON THIS FORUM!!
Haha seriously...oh your suggestions are good but give me detailed usernames and forums you were at. What?

I would also suggest in addition to 1, 2, abc, there should be a minimum post count. Maybe 50? Obviously this would disqualify me, but when you see the 1-5 post people with "September 2018" join dates it's a little suspicious

Last edited by clarkkent06; 09-21-2018 at 11:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by clarkkent06:
Smokeyjr (09-21-2018), Z06*Mike (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if you were a moderator you know this isn't the way to address your concerns

Get notified of new replies