C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Aerohead
Shifts like a bolt action rifle.
That might be the best comparison yet. Feels like a match bolt on a Remington 700.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 PM
drburns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theta, I really appreciate this write up; it made the installation a breeze. I totally agree with the bolt action comment too. It definitely feels very notchy and precise with significantly shorter throws. I do think however, that it requires a little more effort to get in gear, especially 1st gear. I would imagine it will break in with more use. I probably only have about 50 miles with it installed thus far.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It does seat in after a few hundred miles (or a lot of traffic). I also like that first is notchy - it makes it really hard to mis-shift from 2-3.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM
drburns
Instructor

It reminds me a bit of the GMM Ripshift I have in my GTO. Virtually impossible to miss the 2nd-3rd shift. Just push straight up and you're in 3rd.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Aerohead
Instructor

Did anybody else find a rubber band wrapped around the linkage to hold it up as you removed the lower shifter assembly? I should have taken a picture, but at the factory, somebody had wrapped a rubber band around the linkage, so when I took the T40 bolt out and slid out the lower unit, the linkage did not fall down along side the tunnel.

When I put the lower unit back in, that linkage was held by the rubber band right in place so it lined up with the 'notch' very easily.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:08 PM
drburns
Instructor

Lol! I thought I was the only one that found that. Good old low budget tech...
Old 04-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Oh lord... that wasn't just me? Yay for random rubber bands...
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Aerohead
Instructor

Originally Posted by Theta
Oh lord... that wasn't just me? Yay for random rubber bands...
Theta,
I think you need to add a picture showing how to properly reinstall the rubber band when putting everything back together
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

That might be the best comparison yet. Feels like a match bolt on a Remington 700.
Makes sense as I believe MGW is and or was a gun parts manufacturer...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Theta,
I think you need to add a picture showing how to properly reinstall the rubber band when putting everything back together
Mine was already broken, but this surely does warrant an advisory!

Name:  E2cDtNB.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  964.3 KB
Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Makes sense as I believe MGW is and or was a gun parts manufacturer...
Excellent point - I had not realized that until now!

With this kind of quality, I'd use any of their top-notch products. Sounds like they branched out into car parts as a hobby off of their main production field. Very cool.

MGW was established in 1984 by the current owner and president , Louis Ciamillo. The main focus was to CNC manufacture specialized firearms components for his custom competition pistols and revolvers. As word spread in the area of his reputation for making very high quality and close tolerance parts, MGW began to take on additional work from the aerospace and microwave industry. In 1986 MGW also became a key supplier for the defense and law enforcement industry , providing small arms parts and sighting systems for the armed forces and large firearms manufacturers such as Sigarms, Glock, Beretta and Trijicon.

In 1989, MGW built a state of the art 12,000 square foot facility in Augusta, GA. , where it currently operates. In 1994 , Louis' son George Ciamillo took over management of the company in order for Louis to pursue other ventures and focus on additional product development. While still largely focused on the manufacturing of firearms components, George began branching out into the automotive field due to his passion for sports cars and racing.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Aerohead
Instructor

Mine was already broken, but this surely does warrant an advisory!

Rubber band already broken
That's a warranty issue right?

How are you going to handle that loss of 15hp

The Germans would have developed some $20 piece of cast aluminum to do the same task on a Porsche, while the Kentucky boys use a .$02 rubber band. Love it....

I wonder if we can find any duct tape or twine somewhere else under the dash.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I wonder if we can find any duct tape or twine somewhere else under the dash.
I don't think so, but if you look at the seat thread, you will see that there are copious amounts of zip ties available for re-use.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Theta, I installed my shifter today and your write up was so helpful. I watched the videos on the MGW website and I think your instructions were better. I thought I would add my .02 cents.

I am amazed on the wear that is on the stock rubber shield. My car has 3000 miles on it and this is a lot of wear for a very short period of time. I was wondering what the rubber band was when I was disassembling, but I just read the other responses and see it was for holding the shift cable up during assembly. Bowling Green must of run out of zip ties

Also, nobody has mentioned that that stock rubber shield that has all the wear on it is not used with the MGW shifter. I was all done reassembling everything and realized that the rubber shield was still on the table. I had to go back to watch the video and see they say it is not needed.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Jay Farber
Advanced

I just had my MGW shifter installed and I'd like to echo what everyone else has said. It's amazing.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Did you have any trouble with the console plate hitting the passenger grab bar on the right side? Looks like the pad would keep it from lifting straight up.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Sgoochds650
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have "money shifted"my car twice now and am feeling like a complete tool. Once on the street and once on the track for all to see. I have only been in one corvette that had a aftermarket shifter and though it had a great feel the mechanical noise of the driveline seemed to be amplified through the shifter.

How is the MGW shifter about noise transfer?

What is availability of the shifters? My car is going to Vengeance Racing this coming week for blower, meth, and cam install and I am considering the shifter upgrade.

Thanks so much to the forum members who contribute such great information.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Old 05-04-2014, 12:46 PM
drburns
Instructor

I would say there is virtually no increased noise or vibration with this shifter.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgoochds650
I have "money shifted"my car twice now and am feeling like a complete tool. Once on the street and once on the track for all to see.
Wow... you are LUCKY you didn't kill the engine. A money shift is named that for a VERY good reason You must have not really over revved the engine or caught it soon enough.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Did you have any trouble with the console plate hitting the passenger grab bar on the right side? Looks like the pad would keep it from lifting straight up.
No problems at all.

Originally Posted by Sgoochds650
I have "money shifted"my car twice now and am feeling like a complete tool. Once on the street and once on the track for all to see. I have only been in one corvette that had a aftermarket shifter and though it had a great feel the mechanical noise of the driveline seemed to be amplified through the shifter.

How is the MGW shifter about noise transfer?

What is availability of the shifters? My car is going to Vengeance Racing this coming week for blower, meth, and cam install and I am considering the shifter upgrade.

Thanks so much to the forum members who contribute such great information.
You are, indeed, very lucky. I would recommend this mod with certainty if you've already done that twice.

There is no additional transfer through the shifter, and I believe their availability is still same/next day.

Having the same combo (sans cam), I will tell you that money shifting with said combo will, indeed, be the death of that engine. As you can see from the long list of users here, it's well worth the price of admission.

Quick Reply: How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter