C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Sgoochds650
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Theta
No problems at all.

You are, indeed, very lucky. I would recommend this mod with certainty if you've already done that twice.

There is no additional transfer through the shifter, and I believe their availability is still same/next day.

Having the same combo (sans cam), I will tell you that money shifting with said combo will, indeed, be the death of that engine. As you can see from the long list of users here, it's well worth the price of admission.
My ego was crushed when I did it at the track. I never had this problem in my C6 or any of my other cars but admittedly I'm a little rusty. I know the consequences of a missed shift with my future setup will not be cheap. I will order a shifter immediately.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Sgoochds650
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgoochds650
My ego was crushed when I did it at the track. I never had this problem in my C6 or any of my other cars but admittedly I'm a little rusty. I know the consequences of a missed shift with my future setup will not be cheap. I will order a shifter immediately.
Ordered my shifter this morning. Thanks for such good info!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Hey, no problem! There's no shame in mis-shifting - I just don't want to see you lose an engine over it.

I think you'll be extremely impressed with the near-impossibility to do this with your new shifter.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

My MGW has improved noticeably in smoothness and effort now that I have some miles on it. I guess I'd say it's worked itself in.

Hint: on the shift ****, I used just a tiny bit of the grease they supply on the end of the shaft and inside the ****. This made the installation/removal of the **** for alignment MUCH easier, and much easier to finally put on.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by xp800
My MGW has improved noticeably in smoothness and effort now that I have some miles on it. I guess I'd say it's worked itself in.

Hint: on the shift ****, I used just a tiny bit of the grease they supply on the end of the shaft and inside the ****. This made the installation/removal of the **** for alignment MUCH easier, and much easier to finally put on.
Mine was... extremely difficult to get back on. I will say, though, that it won't rattle loose any time soon.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
jetskik2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone send me a link to the instructions on dropbox. The one Theta posted does not work and my new shifter should be here Tuesday :>
Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Hmm... site went down. I will re-post shortly, sorry about that!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I install mine tomorrow, I can't stop grinning with excitement!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Great instructions.
I took the Core-shifters "Hurst" shifter out of my C5 and put it in the C7 last night.... Fits and works perfectly.... I also like the Hurst stick because it is straight instead of angled backward like the stock stick, since my arms are long and being closer to the dash is actually better.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-12-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Jay Farber
Advanced

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Great instructions.
I took the Core-shifters "Hurst" shifter out of my C5 and put it in the C7 last night.... Fits and works perfectly....
If you ever valet the car, he's gonna have a fun time trying to find reverse...
Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Farber
If you ever valet the car, he's gonna have a fun time trying to find reverse...
Yep. I have a 7 speed ball, but it is larger than the real Hurst ball and it does not have "Hurst" on it.

I guess you could figure it out since the gear is displayed on the dash...
but I may eventually put the right gear pattern on.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Link is fixed! Here it is again as updated on the front page:

MGW-C7-Shifter-Install.pdf
The following users liked this post:
braveheart3158 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

shiftier is amazing, and the install was actually fun. Thanks for the write up, it was spot on
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 PM
jetskik2
Heel & Toe

Default how not to install

okkk this is how my install went down

1. i made a minor scratch near the lower driver door kick panel with my T40 torque bit

2. then i dropped the chinsey little key to tighten the lock screws in the tunnel lost forever I can see the end of it buried at the bottom of eternity

3. last but not least my Birkenstock sandle scratched the sill plate.

4. I have an an extra O-ring from the shifter boot that goes with the little chrome piece to hold it together

Now I will go test it and see if it is worth the cut finger and 3hours after work installing it.

:beatdeadhors e:
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jetskik2
okkk this is how my install went down

1. i made a minor scratch near the lower driver door kick panel with my T40 torque bit

2. then i dropped the chinsey little key to tighten the lock screws in the tunnel lost forever I can see the end of it buried at the bottom of eternity

3. last but not least my Birkenstock sandle scratched the sill plate.

4. I have an an extra O-ring from the shifter boot that goes with the little chrome piece to hold it together

Now I will go test it and see if it is worth the cut finger and 3hours after work installing it.
Sorry to hear that, man!

1) If you describe or take a pic of the panel, I can let you know the part number and if it's cheap to replace.

2) Grab an extendable magnet tool (cheap and easy to find from an auto parts or hardware store) and grab the key out from the torque tube.

3) Don't feel bad - I had a rock pop up into mine while driving, scratched the HELL out of it.

Sorry about your finger - we do shed a lot of blood for our cars.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 PM
jetskik2
Heel & Toe

thanks theta. I just checked it out and I could here it but seems to have worked itself out.

I think i will wait till next year when I install headers to look for it (if i remember).

The scratches are minute. May get replacement sill plates later also.

Can you get to the bottom of the tunnel from under the car or is it one giant piece of metal?

I thought about the magnetic telescoping tool from hardware/auto store and there is no way I can get to it. It is barely visible.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 PM
jetskik2
Heel & Toe

I would like to say the shifter is ~ten times better then the stock unit.

I feel more confident when shifting and the gears (all seven of them) are in the same place everytime.

Overall it was worth it. Wish I had more time to drive it...so much car I have to remember that on ramps and corners are dangerous with throttle.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Old 05-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jetskik2
thanks theta. I just checked it out and I could here it but seems to have worked itself out.

I think i will wait till next year when I install headers to look for it (if i remember).

The scratches are minute. May get replacement sill plates later also.

Can you get to the bottom of the tunnel from under the car or is it one giant piece of metal?

I thought about the magnetic telescoping tool from hardware/auto store and there is no way I can get to it. It is barely visible.
The torque tube isn't something you want to get at from the bottom. The telescoping tool is the best bet, and the snake version is VERY easy for this sort of thing. It's also stupid-strong so it will yank the thing clean out. The surrounding metal is aluminum, which will obviously not stick.

TEKTON 7611 24-Inch Flexible Magnetic Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com TEKTON 7611 24-Inch Flexible Magnetic Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com

And if you're ever in trouble with non-ferrous metal:

MAXCRAFT 60184 3-in-1 Flex Lighted Magnetic/Claw Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com MAXCRAFT 60184 3-in-1 Flex Lighted Magnetic/Claw Pick-Up Tool - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Interesting that the MGW shifter box is open vs. the OEM being enclosed. Any issues with it being open i.e. dirt/debris eventually working in there?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
jetskik2
Heel & Toe

I see what you are saying..from underneath the box it is open so your thought is something can get pulled up into the shifter box. This would defy the law of gravity or you would have to be inverted while driving.

Their design is not perfect.

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Interesting that the MGW shifter box is open vs. the OEM being enclosed. Any issues with it being open i.e. dirt/debris eventually working in there?

Quick Reply: How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter