C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ECS Supercharger Install Notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:05 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Looks awesome! Love the red powder coating, looks very cool with it on the lower pipes as well.

I also like how the supercharger intake pipe is curved and mated to the blower with a short, straight coupler, rather than a straight pipe with a long curved coupler. I believe A&A does the same in their kit as well.

There's another kit out there with the opposite set-up.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I settled on the Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm wires:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...nd-w-pics.html
If running stock exhaust manifolds, are there any benefits to switching out the plug wires?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Translator

If running stock exhaust manifolds, are there any benefits to switching out the plug wires?
Nothing other than looks.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing other than looks.
AND an ego boost, LOL
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf97
Thanks Doug. I will have HP tuners tomorrow and send you my file. ANother thing you may want to add to the instructions is about gapping the spark plugs. I emailed with Chris about this and he said the stock plugs will work at 7-8 psi boost if gapped down a "bit". I asked him for a target gap but haven't heard back yet.
I was told by the shop who did my install that the stock plugs didn't need to be touched...

So which is it? Do I need to regap these plugs or change them to cooler ones?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I was told by the shop who did my install that the stock plugs didn't need to be touched...

So which is it? Do I need to regap these plugs or change them to cooler ones?
Always listen to your tuner in this regard!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK some more notes:

Doug and Chris at ECS got me the base HP Tuners tune file within 12 hours of me sending them my file so great job there.

I modified my file in HP Tuners using the cool batch "copy differences" feature. When I went to write my new file it gave me an error about this file has TCM data but the vehicle has no TCM. TCM is the Transmission Control Module and my car is an auto so I do have one. I googled that problem and found some other GM vehicles were getting it and somebody suggested to pull the TCM fuse. So I did that and was able to write the file.

Next I warmed it up and hooked the HP Tuners monitor program and was watching my timing and knock retard while slowly bringing it up to RPM. Saw no knock retard so took it out on the highway. Car runs very smooth and has the slight blower whine sound I like without any gear noise with the hood down. Punched it about halfway at 70 mph and it pulls like a beast, low traction light came on, (tires were "warm"). These 295 wide Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position I don't think have as much grip as the stock 285 wide tires however they are quieter and ride better (18/19 wheels).

Took it to RCI Performance to get a dyno and wideband check per ECS suggestion. They couldn't do it at the moment but will have that shortly. They have a nice shop with a Mustang dyno in the ground and had a 60's Chevelle with a LS3 with a whipple charger on the dyno and had just done a Camaro with a "big turbo" so I am confident they will be able to do the checkout ECS wants.

Right now I have a P2227 code thrown about Barometric Pressure out of range I am looking into. Edit, fixed tightened blower outlet hose.

Last edited by robertf97; 04-18-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

OK some more notes:

Doug and Chris at ECS got me the base HP Tuners tune file within 12 hours of me sending them my file so great job there.

I modified my file in HP Tuners using the cool batch "copy differences" feature. When I went to write my new file it gave me an error about this file has TCM data but the vehicle has no TCM. TCM is the Transmission Control Module and my car is an auto so I do have one. I googled that problem and found some other GM vehicles were getting it and somebody suggested to pull the TCM fuse. So I did that and was able to write the file.

Next I warmed it up and hooked the HP Tuners monitor program and was watching my timing and knock retard while slowly bringing it up to RPM. Saw no knock retard so took it out on the highway. Car runs very smooth and has the slight blower whine sound I like without any gear noise with the hood down. Punched it about halfway at 70 mph and it pulls like a beast, low traction light came on, (tires were "warm"). These 295 wide Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position I don't think have as much grip as the stock 285 wide tires however they are quieter and ride better (18/19 wheels).

Took it to RCI Performance to get a dyno and wideband check per ECS suggestion. They couldn't do it at the moment but will have that shortly. They have a nice shop with a Mustang dyno in the ground and had a 60's Chevelle with a LS3 with a whipple charger on the dyno and had just done a Camaro with a "big turbo" so I am confident they will be able to do the checkout ECS wants.

Right now I have a P2227 code thrown about Barometric Pressure out of range I am looking into. Edit, fixed tightened blower outlet hose.
Nice!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm using the NGK (6510) LTR7IX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug - $10 a pop at Amazon.
What gap are you using on these plugs?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
"BoneStock"
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do yo have the loud or quiet bov? This had me very excited for my ecs kit, im ordering it later this week. Not to thread jack or anything but do you know how wide of tires fit the stock z51 wheels by chance? I want to use them with drag radials. Sweet ride btw!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I intend to gap the plugs to .030".

I ordered the quiet BOV but am not sure thats what I got because it doesn't say "QR" on it and isn't red. I only hear it when letting off after getting on it, not at idle or low speed.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The BOV that comes with the A&A kit is pretty noisy especially with the top off..really would like to attenuate if possible.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

The Baro code is a common one, it needs to be deleted in the tune, also let us know if you plan on doing headers. We make a Fantastic set for the C7 glad you got am Ecs kit, they really are extremely nice!
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-29-2014, 12:28 AM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Encountering this DTC as well on my end with my A&A install....tuner is attempting to expand the voltage range rather then outright disabling.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
Encountering this DTC as well on my end with my A&A install....tuner is attempting to expand the voltage range rather then outright disabling.

I have same code anyone know a way to shut it off.. the engine light is annoying
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Let me get this straight. One day after receiving your HP software you are sending off a copy of the tune and then loading that new tune into your car. And then the next day you are logging the results! You must be a NASA engineer or something! lol
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim2092
Let me get this straight. One day after receiving your HP software you are sending off a copy of the tune and then loading that new tune into your car. And then the next day you are logging the results! You must be a NASA engineer or something! lol
Don't be jealous. I'm sure whatever you do is very nice too.

Get notified of new replies

To My ECS Supercharger Install Notes

Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

New 417ci forged 2618 fully coated Mahle pistons with Super I-Beam Rods.

New 417ci forged 2618 fully coated Mahle pistons with Super I-Beam Rods.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 PM
fgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
The Baro code is a common one, it needs to be deleted in the tune, also let us know if you plan on doing headers. We make a Fantastic set for the C7 glad you got am Ecs kit, they really are extremely nice!
I had Vengeance Racing install an ESC kit on my 2016 Stingray. Drove 450 mile each way and 2 nights in a hotel. Back home with a P2227 code. Called Vengeance and they said they had done over 120 C7 S/C systems and never had that code. I was told I had 2 options, Buy a $399 software package from them that would allow them to diagnose the problem or bring the car back (450 miles each way and another $284 in hotel stays. When I told them that neither option was acceptable I was told I could drive it with the light on because it wouldn't harm anything. I explained that with the check engine light always on I would have effectively disabled the entire warning system (of course if it began to flash I would know something serious was happening)

I told them that rather than buy the software (that might allow them to solve the problem) T would find a local tuner, to which the Vengeance rep responded "Fine, you do that" and hung up.

At no time did they offer any suggestions of possible items to check or any other telephonic assistance. I'm sure they will offer a different version of this but I will close by simply recommending that anyone planning on having Vengeance install a S/C kit get a written service agreement.

Some of you may remember me as the guy who bought one of the first C6 Z06 only to have it break a valve spring at 850 miles. If you do you know that I am not one to complain, but I don't appreciate being hung up on and I don't appreciate a company who doesn't stand behind their product or service.

Last edited by fgordon; 08-17-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Interesting. Some places just don't do the post service well at all. This is truly a very simple fix and very common and if they haven't seen it then they're full of ****. Take it to a local shop and I'm sure they'll turn it off for you for next to nothing, to earn your business.

Originally Posted by fgordon
I had Vengeance Racing install an ESC kit on my 2016 Stingray. Drove 450 mile each way and 2 nights in a hotel. Back home with a P2227 code. Called Vengeance and they said they had done over 120 C7 S/C systems and never had that code. I was told I had 2 options, Buy a $399 software package from them that would allow them to diagnose the problem or bring the car back (450 miles each way and another $284 in hotel stays. When I told them that neither option was acceptable I was told I could drive it with the light on because it wouldn't harm anything. I explained that with the check engine light always on I would have effectively disabled the entire warning system (of course if it began to flash I would know something serious was happening)

I told them that rather than buy the software (that might allow them to solve the problem) T would find a local tuner, to which the Vengeance rep responded "Fine, you do that" and hung up.

At no time did they offer any suggestions of possible items to check or any other telephonic assistance. I'm sure they will offer a different version of this but I will close by simply recommending that anyone planning on having Vengeance install a S/C kit get a written service agreement.

Some of you may remember me as the guy who bought one of the first C6 Z06 only to have it break a valve spring at 850 miles. If you do you know that I am not one to complain, but I don't appreciate being hung up on and I don't appreciate a company who doesn't stand behind their product or service.

Quick Reply: My ECS Supercharger Install Notes