C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Don't see anything on your website relative to competition seat conversion and price? Even when you type in your search box nothing comes up. Also, I can't find anything on interior trim pieces to convert 1LT/2LT to a 3LT. Your sight seems to have limited parts?

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Feel free to contact us for your GT to Competition seat conversion. We are still the lowest price. The orders keep coming in.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:01 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Doesn't bother me any. I ordered my vehicle with comp seats. In black. Just arrived.

BALLER Nice car man.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
Don't see anything on your website relative to competition seat conversion and price? Even when you type in your search box nothing comes up. Also, I can't find anything on interior trim pieces to convert 1LT/2LT to a 3LT. Your sight seems to have limited parts?
Check out our Interior Upgrades page for the C7:
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...trim-upgrades/

This is just a portion of what is available. Let me know if there's something else you're looking for.

Here is a suede section we are still cleaning up:
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/suede-trim-packages

Last edited by subchev; 03-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by subchev
Check out our Interior Upgrades page for the C7:
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/corv...trim-upgrades/

This is just a portion of what is available. Let me know if there's something else you're looking for.

Here is a suede section we are still cleaning up:
http://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/suede-trim-packages
Subchev--is the conversion available or will it mate to a 1LT trim?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bhk2
Subchev--is the conversion available or will it mate to a 1LT trim?
Yes, it just depends on how much of a certain color/trim that you are wanting.
A 3LT trim would have everything possible in the preferred color which would include doors. A lot of people don't want to replace their whole door panel, so they do everything except that, and technically it is not a 3LT, although it has more trim than the 2LT.
Does that make sense?

I'm spending time this weekend to make specific color sections, instead of what is on our site now which is specific placement sections, with all color options inside.

Last edited by subchev; 03-25-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't have them on the website on purpose. There is a lot to go over and to make sure you're getting what you need and we don't want to misrepresent the product to unsuspecting customers.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-06-2017, 07:13 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I am starting to disassemble my seats for conversion but I cannot seem to figure out how to remove the recliner lever.... It states to "Lift up on the recline lever and stick a small screwdriver in the slot and pry on it carefully and it will slide out".

I am not seeing anything that a screwdriver would press in like a clip so if someone knows how to remove it would be helpful.t will slide off".

Last edited by KGrant; 05-06-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

The original thread didn't give a clear picture or understanding on how to remove the seat recliner lever so I thought that I would add some clarification to save others time and frustration.

You need to pry or lift up or outward to unclip

I am starting to disassemble my seats for conversion but I cannot seem to figure out how to remove the recliner lever.... It states to "Lift up on the recline lever and stick a small screwdriver in the slot and pry on it carefully and it will slide out".

I am not seeing anything that a screwdriver would press in like a clip so if someone knows how to remove it would be helpful.t will slide off".

Last edited by KGrant; 11-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Got it done! Challenging but Rewarding!

The following users liked this post:
subchev (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I just completed the Competition Seat conversion and but I am getting an airbag error and wonder if anybody got the error and how did you resolve or fix it? I don't want to have to go to dealer and then they say something like the airbags from GT Seats are not interchangeable with Competition considering we changed the airbag covers and brackets but transferred the airbags!

The following 2 users liked this post by KGrant:
48supertruck (05-19-2017), subchev (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

I just completed the Competition Seat conversion and but I am getting an airbag error and wonder if anybody got the error and how did you resolve or fix it? I don't want to have to go to dealer and then they say something like the airbags from GT Seats are not interchangeable with Competition considering we changed the airbag covers and brackets but transferred the airbags!
They are indeed the same airbags, so you won't run into that.
Have you driven the car at all? Sometimes the ECM just needs to run through all of the tests that it does while you drive, and that might clear it.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

I just drove it for the first time and drove about 45 minutes and the light is still on. I am 99% certain the plugs are connected but I will open the cover on each seat to make sure as I am trying not to have to go to the dealer.

Originally Posted by subchev
They are indeed the same airbags, so you won't run into that.
Have you driven the car at all? Sometimes the ECM just needs to run through all of the tests that it does while you drive, and that might clear it.

Last edited by KGrant; 05-10-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Is it just me, or do the covers never look at tight and clean on the conversions as the factory built seats? Seem to have a lot of wrinkles in the leather once completed.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
Is it just me, or do the covers never look at tight and clean on the conversions as the factory built seats? Seem to have a lot of wrinkles in the leather once completed.
Its actually the fault of the installer. When I did mine I did end up with just a slight wrinkle if one of my seats when all was done. I didn't notice it until I had seat back together and it wasn't worth the hassle of me taking it back apart.

On the back of the cover there are vertical velcro strips that hold the cover in place. If when installing the cover you just attach the cover and then put the seat together you will get lots of wrinkles. You need to adjust the placement of the cover via the velcro to get rid of all the wrinkles ... you need to keep adjusting until the wrinkles are gone.

Here are my seats .. you can see the wrinkle in my Driver seat that i could have removed if I adjusted the velcro .. my Passenger seat came out just about perfect.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

If if you are referring to the picture in post #129 sitting on the table, you will notice that the Bezels are in place but "not snapped" in. The bezels are very hard to get snapped in and once they are snapped in place, it stretches and smooth out the leather a lot and many of wrinkles go away. However, the harder leather that I have is difficult so if you have the soft leather it would be easier to stretch I would think.

Also it does take adjustments but the leather is hard and some says once it sits in the sun and softens up the remaining one smooth out. I am a stickler for perfection and would say that I'm 95% satisfied with how they look.

I will say that from comparison standpoint, mine doesn't look much different right now then how my friends look who ordered as already installed option. I'll post better completed pictures later!

On a side note, people doing this conversion have found that the number of clips holding the fabric in place varied. For example, I only had two clips on each side of each seat for a total of four clips but it seems that others have had a total of 6-10 clips per seat and the more clips you have as you pull to tighten you can keep fabric in place otherwise you don't get the tightest fit as possible to stay in place.

The problem is, I believe the OEM seats were assembled elsewhere and installed into the vehicle as there are not any part numbers from dealer to order extra. SMH. One solution is to find an automotive upholstery shop willing to sell you clips and/or I am online trying to find similar clips that could work. Once I find the clips, it will be a pre winter project to remove seats and install additional clips since I am a perfectionist!

I might order these clips as they seem similar and might work to stretch and secure in place better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...w=1652&bih=805

Originally Posted by Zap City

Last edited by KGrant; 05-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't have any wrinkles on my conversion either. You have to really work at pulling tight when you tuck the sides. I would smooth the sides from center out then tuck the edges.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Im curious as to how many clips you had per seat as I had only four.

If if you are referring to the picture in post #129 sitting on the table, you will notice that the Bezels are in place but "not snapped" in. The bezels are very hard to get snapped in and once they are snapped in place, it stretches and smooth out the leather a lot and many of wrinkles go away. However, the harder leather that I have is difficult so if you have the soft leather it would be easier to stretch I would think.

Also it does take adjustments but the leather is hard and some says once it sits in the sun and softens up the remaining one smooth out. I am a stickler for perfection and would say that I'm 95% satisfied with how they look.

I will say that from comparison standpoint, mine doesn't look much different right now then how my friends look who ordered as already installed option. I'll post better completed pictures later!

On a side note, people doing this conversion have found that the number of clips holding the fabric in place varied. For example, I only had two clips on each side of each seat for a total of four clips but it seems that others have had a total of 6-10 clips per seat and the more clips you have as you pull to tighten you can keep fabric in place otherwise you don't get the tightest fit as possible to stay in place.

The problem is, I believe the OEM seats were assembled elsewhere and installed into the vehicle as there are not any part numbers from dealer to order extra. SMH. One solution is to find an automotive upholstery shop willing to sell you clips and/or I am online trying to find similar clips that could work. Once I find the clips, it will be a pre winter project to remove seats and install additional clips since I am a perfectionist!

I might order these clips as they seem similar and might work to stretch and secure in place better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...w=1652&bih=805

Get notified of new replies

To How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion

Old 05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

AKKutz: Im curious as to how many clips you had per seat as I had only four.

Originally Posted by AKKutz
I don't have any wrinkles on my conversion either. You have to really work at pulling tight when you tuck the sides. I would smooth the sides from center out then tuck the edges.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:55 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Right, I had two per seat, total of four. My C7 is a 2016.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Competition Seat Conversion

Quick Reply: How to: GT seats to Competition seats conversion