C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WeaponX ported TB - 12hp increase!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Is it really worth it vs competitors? Katech for example, which appears cheaper. What is the difference?

Last edited by spinkick; 09-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Is it really worth it vs competitors? Katech for example, which appears cheaper. What is the difference?
It is definitely worth upgrading. It is one of the less expensive mods that you see an immediate performance improvement with when adding. The 12hp gain is great, but the most noticeable part is the improved throttle response that you gain.

All of our ported throttle bodies are done by hand which allows us to remove port them a little more aggressively.

You will not be disappointed with the quality and performance of ours if you were to compare it to another.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Luckily for us we have both the performance and drivability down. We have yet to experience any of the drivability issues that you are speaking of.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-21-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie @ WEAPON-X
Luckily for us we have both the performance and drivability down. We have yet to experience any of the drivability issues that you are speaking of.
After 3 years and 22k miles on your ported throttle body, I'd concur.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
Ben@WeaponX (09-13-2017), sales @ WXM (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Well let’s stop and pause/think for a second… Why would GM spend “extra money” to create a casting with that “stepped lip” as you call it? GM being very cost conscious will not add a performance robbing feature that increases manufacturing complexity for nothing better than have someone mill/port it away.

Think AFM and the required seamless transition from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode, just like the extra butterfly valves in exhaust for an expectable sound (resonance level)… BTW not much different than ZR1 (LS9) TB, except for feedback is contactless…

So why on earth with the hundreds of competent and talented engineers that GM employs would they add unnecessary complexity and cost to simply add additional restriction (throttling losses - costs efficiency) to intake? Guess they are clueless.

Oh you forgot to ask how much of gain was tune?
If you study the throttle body carefully, that lip is part of the rough casting. GM or the vender machined the opening just good enough to work properly. GM is not going to add additional machining time or pay the vender to finesse the opening for additional air flow and horsepower. Just cost's to much money. Everything is a compromise on a mass produced relatively affordable car. If the complete engine and its components were blueprinted for fractional horsepower, the Corvette would not be as affordable.

Last edited by BJ67; 09-13-2017 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ben@WeaponX (09-14-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatsport
I think that this is a must have mod, regardless of which vendor you pick.

Here are a few pics of ours:

Ben@WeaponX (09-21-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:23 PM
TruIdentity
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WeaponX ported TB and MSD intake

WeaponX,
Any chance you will be able to Dyno test your TB with the MSD atomic intake and no tune?

I would like to keep my power train warranty intact for another couple years, so I'd like a few bolt ones that run well without a tune.

My first plans are your TB and Borla non-catted X pipe. Then within another few months, add the MSD.

What are your thoughts on this for drive ability and no lean codes?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 PM
sales @ WXM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TruIdentity
WeaponX,
Any chance you will be able to Dyno test your TB with the MSD atomic intake and no tune?

I would like to keep my power train warranty intact for another couple years, so I'd like a few bolt ones that run well without a tune.

My first plans are your TB and Borla non-catted X pipe. Then within another few months, add the MSD.

What are your thoughts on this for drive ability and no lean codes?

Thanks!
I'm 99% sure with both the MSD Atomic and one of our ported TB's it would cause it to go too lean. I would do a Halltech, one of our ported throttle bodies, and the x-pipe. You might be able to get away with doing a ported LT1 intake manifold. I always recommend tuning when going further than cold air intake, ported throttle body, and x-pipe.
Ben@WeaponX (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ I've got this combo (WeaponX ported throttle body, Halltech CAI, Corsa Extreme Exhaust with Double Helix X-pipe)....no tune, great power and it runs like a bandit!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-18-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Ben@WeaponX (11-18-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 AM
TruIdentity
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eddie, Steven,

Thanks for the replies. The Halltech looks like a quality piece, but a bit pricey for a CAI... and no offense but I'm a little skeptical about the improvement of CAIs on these cars. I know GM left good power on the table in various areas of the LT1, but in reading through various threads I've got the impression the air intake is not one of them. I've found a couple threads showing some intakes from well known manufacturers actually losing (little) power on a dyno... and it seems any increase, if there is one, is really from the less restrictive (and less filtering) filter.

Also I didn't get the dyno sheet on the WeaponX web site for the Halltech on the C7 stingray as it shows a baseline 487hp ? Which doesn't make sense on a stock stingray.

Does anyone have a couple 'hood closed' dyno runs on a stock C7 with just the Halltech intake?
I'd really like solid evidence of gains before dropping $600+
Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TruIdentity
Eddie, Steven,

Thanks for the replies. The Halltech looks like a quality piece, but a bit pricey for a CAI... and no offense but I'm a little skeptical about the improvement of CAIs on these cars. I know GM left good power on the table in various areas of the LT1, but in reading through various threads I've got the impression the air intake is not one of them. I've found a couple threads showing some intakes from well known manufacturers actually losing (little) power on a dyno... and it seems any increase, if there is one, is really from the less restrictive (and less filtering) filter.

Also I didn't get the dyno sheet on the WeaponX web site for the Halltech on the C7 stingray as it shows a baseline 487hp ? Which doesn't make sense on a stock stingray.

Does anyone have a couple 'hood closed' dyno runs on a stock C7 with just the Halltech intake?
I'd really like solid evidence of gains before dropping $600+
Before Weapon-X did my LT4 conversion, they did a base line dyno on my car. It had: Halltech CAI, Borla Catless X-Pipe and a ported throttle body; it laid down 461RWHP.
Ben@WeaponX (11-19-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eddie @ WEAPON-X
I'm 99% sure with both the MSD Atomic and one of our ported TB's it would cause it to go too lean. I would do a Halltech, one of our ported throttle bodies, and the x-pipe. You might be able to get away with doing a ported LT1 intake manifold. I always recommend tuning when going further than cold air intake, ported throttle body, and x-pipe.
Just figured I'd chime in and confirm the WeaponX ported OEM intake manifold does work fine on the stock tune, along with a few other bolt-ons. Drivability is perfect and no check engine codes.

Here's my setup:
AFE intake
WeaponX ported TB
WeaponX ported IM
ported/coated OEM exhaust manifolds
Borla X-pipe
sales @ WXM (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:28 PM
lancelot1
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Just figured I'd chime in and confirm the WeaponX ported OEM intake manifold does work fine on the stock tune, along with a few other bolt-ons. Drivability is perfect and no check engine codes.

Here's my setup:
AFE intake
WeaponX ported TB
WeaponX ported IM
Borla X-pipe
Has your Vette been dyno’d ? What trans do you have?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lancelot1
Has your Vette been dyno’d ? What trans do you have?
M7
Not with the current setup, but 441whp on 21st Century Muscle Cars dyno prior to the ported intake manifold.

Last edited by Kracka; 11-20-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:48 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka

Here's my setup:
AFE intake
WeaponX ported TB
WeaponX ported IM
Borla X-pipe
And just to throw mud on this, I have essentially the same setup but just with a green filter in the stock housing and my car threw a lean code.

Quick Reply: WeaponX ported TB - 12hp increase!